Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

My poor friend has such bad luck. He has an autoimmune disorder so when he was hit by Covid, he was hospitalized. He fortunately recovered, though still having lots of problems. After getting the first vaccine shot, however, he suffered a severe reaction a few weeks later that rendered his arm and hand almost powerless. It was like having really bad carpal tunnel syndrome and he now has to see a physical therapist. He was given steroids around the second shot but is worried about it affecting its efficacy. 

I was so gun ho about the vaccine that I forgot that not everyone can take it safely. I guess the point of this post is to remind us all that we’re getting vaccinated not just for ourselves but also to provide protection for those who medically cannot. That’s one of the points of herd immunity after all.

Me.

I can’t even grow my own hair because of an autoimmune disorder, I have horrific allergic reactions to crazy *** **** that keeps me peeing out my butt for a week (can’t drink Budweiser, can’t eat Pizza Hutt pizza, plus about a dozen other random things), lotion rips my skin clean off...

Covid kicked my *** for a day made me think I was gonna die.

Still can’t smell anything 90% of the day.

I’m not getting vaccinated.

I’m not anti-vax, never have been, but if I get that vaccine I know it will **** me the **** up.

I’m just not taking it.

There are extremely legitimate concerns with those vaccines for someone like me and it’s legitimately terrifying for me.

Like I get everything Shane said about it on this page, and he’s right, and I know that... For other people.  But for me personally...

If I take Tylenol my throat shuts.  Every time I’m asked about allergies I’m aware of I have to take a deep breath before I can get through the ones I know, then another before I can get through the ones I suspect.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Me.

I can’t even grow my own hair because of an autoimmune disorder, I have horrific allergic reactions to crazy *** **** that keeps me peeing out my butt for a week (can’t drink Budweiser, can’t eat Pizza Hutt pizza, plus about a dozen other random things), lotion rips my skin clean off...

I’m not anti-vax, never have been, but if I get that vaccine I know it will **** me the **** up.

I’m just not taking it.

There are extremely legitimate concerns with those vaccines for someone like me and it’s legitimately terrifying for me.

Like I get everything Shane said about it on this page, and he’s right, and I know that... For other people.  But for me personally...

If I take Tylenol my throat shuts.  Every time I’m asked about allergies I’m aware of I have to take a deep breath before I can get through the ones I know, then another before I can get through the ones I suspect.

Yup. And you shouldn’t take it given your condition. This is why you should be pissed off at actual antivaxxers. They can safely get this vaccine without any issues but treat it like the plague for some reason, and then spread misinformation so that others treat it like the plague.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Yup. And you shouldn’t take it given your condition. This is why you should be pissed off at actual antivaxxers. They can safely get this vaccine without any issues but treat it like the plague for some reason, and then spread misinformation so that others treat it like the plague.

I’m not pissed, man.

I got into it approximately 900 pages back, but I get it.

I get doubt, I get mistrust, I get scoffing at it and pretending it isn’t real.  I understand it because everyone deals with stuff differently.

All I can do is what I can do.  I’m hopeful enough people get it that it won’t be an issue any longer, mostly because I’m really freaking out about proposed vaccine passes **** and how they will effect me, whether or not it’ll be mandatory, all that ****.

Doesn’t help when I see legitimate allergic reactions from people using those as a reason nobody should get it when I’m the one most likely to suffer from those allergic reactions, but I just tell myself I control what I can control and hope for the best.

Like it all sucks.  I’m literally the only person I know who still wears a mask everywhere and at work and I’m... Hell, I don’t even know how long removed from actually having it and I still can’t smell my own farts.

And I’m called an idiot by people I agree with when I say I’m not getting it.  Then there’s a guy at work I literally hate who’s literally anti-vax and it’s like...

I’m going to have to move to ****ing Florida to escape it and probably die from covid because I’m too afraid of dying from an allergic reaction.

• Like 1

Also think it’s horse**** that I wore a mask even when I wasn’t 100% sure it would help me and I’m the only sumbitch in my family to get it.

But that is my luck and now I’m never gonna be able to smell my own farts again.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Also think it’s horse**** that I wore a mask even when I wasn’t 100% sure it would help me and I’m the only sumbitch in my family to get it.

But that is my luck and now I’m never gonna be able to smell my own farts again.

You never know. You could regain it one day.

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Me.

I’m just not taking it.

Geez.  It's a good thing you weren't born a 1000 years ago.  You'd have been left on the side of the road to die.

• Like 1

Just now, theJ said:

Geez.  It's a good thing you weren't born a 1000 years ago.  You'd have been left on the side of the road to die.

Eh, 100 years ago they wouldn't be using so many ingredients in whatever it is in certain yeasts that cause reactions.  I'd probably be able to use lotion back then, too, if it was made with like 5 ingredients.

I'd probably have been better off 100 years ago. 

To my recollection, I've never had an allergic reaction to home cooking.  It's always the extra **** they throw into things is my bet.  Like one of those words you can't pronounce but everyone thinks is okay in soda. 

• Like 1

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210331005503/en/

NEW YORK & MAINZ, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced that, in a Phase 3 trial in adolescents 12 to 15 years of age with or without prior evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection, the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine BNT162b2 demonstrated 100% efficacy and robust antibody responses, exceeding those recorded earlier in vaccinated participants aged 16 to 25 years old, and was well tolerated.

About the Phase 3 Data from Adolescents 12-15 Years of Age

The trial enrolled 2,260 adolescents 12 to 15 years of age in the United States. In the trial, 18 cases of COVID-19 were observed in the placebo group (n=1,129) versus none in the vaccinated group (n=1,131). Vaccination with BNT162b2 elicited SARS-CoV-2–neutralizing antibody geometric mean titers (GMTs) of 1,239.5, demonstrating strong immunogenicity in a subset of adolescents one month after the second dose. This compares well (was non-inferior) to GMTs elicited by participants aged 16 to 25 years old (705.1 GMTs) in an earlier analysis. Further, BNT162b2 administration was well tolerated, with side effects generally consistent with those observed in participants 16 to 25 years of age.

Update on the Phase 1/2/3 Study in Children 6 months to 11 years old

Last week, Pfizer and BioNTech dosed the first healthy children in a global Phase 1/2/3 seamless study to further evaluate the safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine in children 6 months to 11 years of age. The study is evaluating the safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine on a two-dose schedule (approximately 21 days apart) in three age groups: children aged 5 to 11 years, 2 to 5 years, and 6 months to 2 years. The 5 to 11 year-old cohort started dosing last week and the companies plan to initiate the 2 to 5 year-old cohort next week.

If there was any doubt about schools opening back up, we're one FDA review away from vaccinating high schoolers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Eh, 100 years ago they wouldn't be using so many ingredients in whatever it is in certain yeasts that cause reactions.  I'd probably be able to use lotion back then, too, if it was made with like 5 ingredients.

I'd probably have been better off 100 years ago. 

To my recollection, I've never had an allergic reaction to home cooking.  It's always the extra **** they throw into things is my bet.  Like one of those words you can't pronounce but everyone thinks is okay in soda. 

Nah, someone would kill you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Great news especially considering  that they’re more than likely to spread Covid than kids younger than that.

The only real issue that I have with that is that we are exponentially more likely to get an adolescent a PCR swab and that adolescent displaying symptoms than the younger kid, which therefore makes the data skewed. 

For example, when my wife and I had Covid, we didn't get our 3 young kids (6, 4, and 2) tested because there's no way that they could sit through a 15 second deep nasal swab. The oldest displayed a runny nose and low grade fever, the middle vomited once and was out of commission for about 12 hours, and the 2 year old was completely unfazed running around with a scratchy throat.

They all certainly had it, but they're not data points.

Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The only real issue that I have with that is that we are exponentially more likely to get an adolescent a PCR swab and that adolescent displaying symptoms than the younger kid, which therefore makes the data skewed. 

For example, when my wife and I had Covid, we didn't get our 3 young kids (6, 4, and 2) tested because there's no way that they could sit through a 15 second deep nasal swab. The oldest displayed a runny nose and low grade fever, the middle vomited once and was out of commission for about 12 hours, and the 2 year old was completely unfazed running around with a scratchy throat.

Just my opinion. 

I can’t speak on if the data is skewed or not. Maybe you’re right that it is common sense due to the difficulty. Or maybe it’s closer than you think and it all balances out somehow. I know that our pediatrician did not want our child tested unless he showed symptoms. This is due to an earlier exposure that we luckily escaped.

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Just my opinion. 

One thing that has kept me skeptical of whether children are similarly or more resistant to COVID is the complete lack of a physiological explanation for where that additional resistance would be coming from. 

It seems like a lot of the most severe COVID cases are due to specific cytokine levels spiking, so okay that might explain why kids aren't getting as severely sick, but that doesn't explain why kids wouldn't get infected in the first place.

• Like 2