Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

My wife and I got appointments to get the vaccine tomorrow!

Which one? I'm on #teamPfizer, getting #2 in less than 2 weeks. (any of the shots would have been fine though)

• Like 1

Just now, KingVi said:

Which one? I'm on #teamPfizer, getting #2 in less than 2 weeks. (any of the shots would have been fine though)

I won't find out till we get there but my father in law got it from same place yesterday and it was Moderna.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xenos said:

This makes sense.  People by and large rely heavily on anecdotal evidence.  So at first it's news stories about some random case where something bad happened, so of course they think it's all bad.  But as people they know get it, and are fine, they are more willing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

This makes sense.  People by and large rely heavily on anecdotal evidence.  So at first it's news stories about some random case where something bad happened, so of course they think it's all bad.  But as people they know get it, and are fine, they are more willing.

It seems the problem is also the grey area especially on social media platforms.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/25/980035707/lying-through-truth-misleading-facts-fuel-vaccine-misinformation

It's a phenomenon dubbed "lying through truth" by Bret Schafer, who wrote the report.

"The [social media] platforms look at an individual tweet from RT saying 23 people died in a nursing home after taking the Pfizer vaccine, and they can't do anything about it because it is technically true, while being wildly misleading," Schafer said. "That seems to be the new strategy."

2 hours ago, theJ said:

People by and large rely heavily on anecdotal evidence.

I've shared this before...

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/04/get-ready-for-false-side-effects

"Specifically, if you take 10 million people and just wave your hand back and forth over their upper arms, in the next two months you would expect to see about 4,000 heart attacks. About 4,000 strokes. Over 9,000 new diagnoses of cancer. And about 14,000 of that ten million will die, out of usual all-causes mortality. No one would notice. That’s how many people die and get sick anyway.

But if you took those ten million people and gave them a new vaccine instead, there’s a real danger that those heart attacks, cancer diagnoses, and deaths will be attributed to the vaccine. I mean, if you reach a large enough population, you are literally going to have cases where someone gets the vaccine and drops dead the next day
(just as they would have if they *didn’t* get the vaccine). It could prove difficult to convince that person’s friends and relatives of that lack of connection, though. Post hoc ergo propter hoc is one of the most powerful fallacies of human logic, and we’re not going to get rid of it any time soon. Especially when it comes to vaccines."

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

This is great tbqh. Milwaukee, as a city and surrounding areas, cannot sustain another summer without Summerfest, State Fair, festivals and what not. We're almost there, folks.

NH is doing the same if I am hearing correctly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/04/get-ready-for-false-side-effects

"Specifically, if you take 10 million people and just wave your hand back and forth over their upper arms, in the next two months you would expect to see about 4,000 heart attacks. About 4,000 strokes. Over 9,000 new diagnoses of cancer. And about 14,000 of that ten million will die, out of usual all-causes mortality. No one would notice. That’s how many people die and get sick anyway.

But if you took those ten million people and gave them a new vaccine instead, there’s a real danger that those heart attacks, cancer diagnoses, and deaths will be attributed to the vaccine. I mean, if you reach a large enough population, you are literally going to have cases where someone gets the vaccine and drops dead the next day
(just as they would have if they *didn’t* get the vaccine). It could prove difficult to convince that person’s friends and relatives of that lack of connection, though. Post hoc ergo propter hoc is one of the most powerful fallacies of human logic, and we’re not going to get rid of it any time soon. Especially when it comes to vaccines."

I posted this on my social media. It’s a great article. Too bad one of my “friends” decided that you could just as easily switch out Covid with the vaccine and say the same thing....

smh GIF

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

My SIL isn't getting the vaccine bc she read something on Facebook about miscarriages after getting the vaccine (she's pregnant). I gave her this same summary you did, and said you really should be talking to your doctor and not reading facebook articles. She responded with "I'm not getting anyway". 

Meh. I'm vaccinated. It's her life. 

My poor friend has such bad luck. He has an autoimmune disorder so when he was hit by Covid, he was hospitalized. He fortunately recovered, though still having lots of problems. After getting the first vaccine shot, however, he suffered a severe reaction a few weeks later that rendered his arm and hand almost powerless. It was like having really bad carpal tunnel syndrome and he now has to see a physical therapist. He was given steroids around the second shot but is worried about it affecting the vaccine’s efficacy. 

I was so gun ho about the vaccine that I forgot that not everyone can take it safely. I guess the point of this post is to remind us all that we’re getting vaccinated not just for ourselves but also to provide protection for those who medically cannot. That’s one of the points of herd immunity after all.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1