Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

For someone like me who has already been vaccinated (clearly I've been given priority and it's no one else's fault, this is just projecting forward) and been teaching kids face to face on the frontlines since August, coaching since June, abiding by all of the rules, mandates, etc., it's unbelievably upsetting/frustrating.

I get that side of it too. A plan moving forward doesn't change what happened already.

• Like 1

MWil brought it up, and while I don't have firsthand experience of witnessing it, I understand that depression in children is a major problem right now. Not being at school, as well as socializing, will have a major impact on their physical and mental well-being and absolutely agree that getting them back to normal should be a major priority. 

My nephew missed out on his first year of college as a result of this and he's pretty bummed but handling it well. I bet a lot of kids won't be in his case though..... but I'm sure we're not the exception that a lot of kids really didn't give a **** this past month lol. Whether it be March Madness wins or St Paddy's Day, they gathered and did their thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WizeGuy said:

If someone isn't able to be infected then transmission is dramatically cut down. COVID seems to be largely an aerial virus, so if the vast majority of those vaccinated aren't exhaling or spitting the virus out, then we're in really good shape. The only way for a strong majority of the vaccinated to transmit the virus then is through surface contact, which, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong- doesn't seem to be a major contributor to spread. 

Also, it's important to note- that even those that may catch the virus should have a reduced viral load compared to those that are not vaccinated, which should also mitigate spread. 

I'd like to hear from @Shanedorf @ramssuperbowl99 on this one, though. It seems the vaccines dramatically reduce transmission. 

I'm in the same place I've been on this for a while. Everything we know about viruses suggests that vaccinating the virus would prevent the spread, and pretty much every piece of real life data we've seen lines up with that hypothesis. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Can people in New York get vaccinated right after recovering from Covid?  Not sure if it still is but in Minnesota it used to be a 90 day wait before eligible for the vaccine. Are people more likely to get covid after already having covid compared to getting a vaccine? 

The only reason currently not to get the vaccine after getting Covid is due to supply, and/or if you did the antibody therapy. Otherwise, as soon as you have recovered, the CDC recommends that you get vaccinated since they don’t know how much protection you get after three months from Covid.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I get that side of it too. A plan moving forward doesn't change what happened already.

Which I also acknowledge. There's definitely some of this that has hit closer to home and I've got some lingering feelings of resentment, which I'm trying to separate.

But at some point, we as a society do an awful job of allowing individuals to hold themselves accountable/helping them be accountable for their actions.

If the anti-mask/anti-vaxx crowd refuses to comply, and that goes for the 1/4 congresspeople that opted out, then they can reap the consequences while the rest of us go back to enjoying life and not watching the educational gap and adolescent anxiety/depression/suicide rate continue to rise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm in the same place I've been on this for a while. Everything we know about viruses suggests that vaccinating the virus would prevent the spread, and pretty much every piece of real life data we've seen lines up with that hypothesis. 

The studies that have recently come out of Israel are extremely promising in proving these theories. I fully expect May to be a good month as far as knowing where we're at as well as developing a plan on getting back to normal.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We've all been tracking this for a year

https://covidvax.live/location/usa    (thx for link WizeGuy)

Its gonna be close - but it looks like US will surpass 150,000,000 shots in arms by the end of March 2021.

Truly an amazing, stupendous, incredible accomplishment. While many Americans complained about the impacts on their lives, a group of similarly impacted people rolled up their sleeves...so you can roll up yours.

Let's put aside our challenges for a few moments and say thanks to all of the MDs, nurses, front line workers, immunologists, epidemiologists and regulatory scientists who pulled off this remarkable achievement for the benefit of everybody. They too had kids struggling at home, they too had family members battling mental health issues-  they faced everything we faced and more- yet they buckled down and got it done and they deserve our undying gratitude.

And part of that gratitude is helping to finish the job so their heroic efforts aren't wasted by jumping back in too soon.
Kindly honor their efforts & sacrifice by staying vigilant a little longer, just a few more months. 

• Like 5

@ramssuperbowl99 I'm not sure if I ever told you this or not, but my wife works at the local university Graduate School of Pharmacy, and the amount of laymen out there who associate pharmacists and label them as "big pharma" is alarming. I thought that I'd simultaneously amuse and infuriate you. You're welcome.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xenos said:

The only reason currently not to get the vaccine after getting Covid is due to supply, and/or if you did the antibody therapy. Otherwise, as soon as you have recovered, the CDC recommends that you get vaccinated since they don’t know how much protection you get after three months from Covid.

I might be dumb,  but why not prioritize the people that have 0 immunity? 

It seems like there is a lot that they still don't know

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I've always agreed w/ this logic as well. It was frustrating seeing people who recovered from Covid first in line for shots.... I wasn't losing my mind over it but I do think that those who have not shown symptoms could've been prioritized. Moot point now though.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 I'm not sure if I ever told you this or not, but my wife works at the local university Graduate School of Pharmacy, and the amount of laymen out there who associate pharmacists and label them as "big pharma" is alarming. I thought that I'd simultaneously amuse and infuriate you. You're welcome.

I don't really take the "big pharma" stuff personally. The economics of pharma/healthcare are what people are usually talking about when they criticize big pharma, and if it's not that then it's the opiate crisis...and well yeah we brought that on ourselves.

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

For someone like me who has already been vaccinated (clearly I've been given priority and it's no one else's fault, this is just projecting forward) and been teaching kids face to face on the frontlines since August, coaching since June, abiding by all of the rules, mandates, etc., it's unbelievably upsetting/frustrating.

That much I understand. It's more about also understanding that this is also very unlikely/if not impossible to ever get to a 0 threshold. 

Schools should have been back everywhere in August. I'm adamant about this. It's worked where I am (albeit we had to go remote twice due to cases/quarantines) and will continue to work if done properly with masks, cleaning, etc. There's ZERO excuse for any other state or district not to have complied. We gave our parents the online option, and 1/4 of them K-12 took that option, which I also fully support! :) 

I totally agree about not getting it to zero. We just need it to get to a tolerable level.

As for your last paragraph, I understand that your school was able to do it. But every location, state, and district have access to different resources. It greatly helped that the last stimulus bill had more money for schools. And it’s nice that almost half is fully open now. I get the impatience but we’ll get there sooner than you think. I feel that it’s been impatience as a nation that have made things more difficult for us overall.

Sidenote: the whole school opening has been very personal to me. I watched as a dear friend get Covid and be hospitalized because his school moved too quickly without a plan or the necessary resources in place. He’s luckily fine now. But I can see his side of it too while also feeling the need to get kids to schools for their mental health and well-being.

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

At this point, there are shots going to waste and time slot openings for anyone to get the vaccine.  So there's no reason to discriminate based on any particular individual situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

The overwhelming feedback from the public is that this rollout has been too complicated and too disjointed. People want one portal, yes or no, tell me when.

The value that we might gain in efficiency is more than offset by what we lose in public understanding. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I've always agreed w/ this logic as well. It was frustrating seeing people who recovered from Covid first in line for shots.... I wasn't losing my mind over it but I do think that those who have not shown symptoms could've been prioritized. Moot point now though.

It’s an honor system. How would they know who to prioritize other than trusting people not to lie? It’s not like they can get access to your medical records.