Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

9 hours ago, JonStark said:

No argument there. I'm just saying that people live different lives and we can't expect everyone to think exactly how we do. Just because someone was unsure (and I'm speaking strictly of the actual hesitant ones) doesn't mean that they automatically have some internal bias. It could also mean they are getting their information from the wrong sources or literally can't process the data given.

But where do we draw the line?  These people are acting in a way that is actively hurting everyone else all around the world, I don't think ignorance is an excuse here.  You can be ignorant and still follow social norms.  The problem is being ignorant and yet still forming strong enough opinions that you're willing to buck social norms, experts, institutions, and 80% of everyone on the planet.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

Makes sense considering they are self-insured.

True but disappointing that they didn't go further 

We should expect more from our sacred American oligopolies

People who think Bill Gates created the virus fly Southwest and Frontier anyway, who is Delta worried about pissing off? 

• Like 2

I'm not a mechanic, I don't know how a turn signal works.  I still use them because I'm not a complete *******.  And if someone tells me turn signals were invented by Bill Gates to implant microchips into my brain, I keep my head down and keep walking.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I'm not a mechanic, I don't know how a turn signal works.  I still use them because I'm not a complete *******.  And if someone tells me turn signals were invented by Bill Gates to implant microchips into my brain, I keep my head down and keep walking.

Yeah but tbf you don’t use condoms since you aren’t a latex salesman a la Art V

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TLO said:

Yeah but tbf you don’t use condoms since you aren’t a latex salesman a la Art V

Realistically, the MoL are qualified to have an opinion on a wide range of topics, including sexual health.  We are renaissance men. 

The issue is people who peaked in middle school and think they are Thomas Jefferson or Thomas Paine.  Thomas Jefferson spoke six languages and had a 10,000 book library.  If some random ******* wrote the Declaration of Independence things would have gone down differently. 

If you struggled to get Cs in high school bio you should probably focus on paying your bills and finding a way to reliably get laid and stop questioning global institutions, if they are really out to get you someone more capable and with a bigger platform will handle it. 

• Like 6

I don’t know if it was posted or not, but the Israel study that showed Pfizer only has a 39% efficacy against the delta variant did the math wrong and the vaccine efficacy found based on the data from that study is still 89%.

Neat. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

But where do we draw the line?  These people are acting in a way that is actively hurting everyone else all around the world, I don't think ignorance is an excuse here.  You can be ignorant and still follow social norms.  The problem is being ignorant and yet still forming strong enough opinions that you're willing to buck social norms, experts, institutions, and 80% of everyone on the planet.  

You say that people can be ignorant but still follow social norms, but you have to realize the social norms vary throughout the country. Not every town is like the one you live in and not every person has had the experiences you may have had that led you to be able to process this data correctly. A person with no scientific background who is working two or three jobs during the day and only is able to catch up on current events by watching the news could easily be led astray without actually being a bad person. I know that being more educated on the matter makes it easy to just say it's the right thing to do (which it is) and anyone who hasn't gotten it by now is ignorant, but you have to realize we all live different lives which lead to people processing things differently. That doesn't make them bad for being hesitant before full approval.

All that being said, where do I draw the line? Right now. Anyone who is still opposed to it after Pfizer got full approval falls into the category of those who will move on to the next excuse no matter what happens, and nothing will change their mind. Those aren't the people I was trying to justify for, because they are the problem. 

54 minutes ago, JonStark said:

You say that people can be ignorant but still follow social norms, but you have to realize the social norms vary throughout the country. Not every town is like the one you live in and not every person has had the experiences you may have had that led you to be able to process this data correctly. A person with no scientific background who is working two or three jobs during the day and only is able to catch up on current events by watching the news could easily be led astray without actually being a bad person. I know that being more educated on the matter makes it easy to just say it's the right thing to do (which it is) and anyone who hasn't gotten it by now is ignorant, but you have to realize we all live different lives which lead to people processing things differently. That doesn't make them bad for being hesitant before full approval.

All that being said, where do I draw the line? Right now. Anyone who is still opposed to it after Pfizer got full approval falls into the category of those who will move on to the next excuse no matter what happens, and nothing will change their mind. Those aren't the people I was trying to justify for, because they are the problem. 

Not surprising that the places with an anti vax social norm also have a social norm of porking their cousins 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JonStark said:

You say that people can be ignorant but still follow social norms, but you have to realize the social norms vary throughout the country. Not every town is like the one you live in

Yes there are large pockets of the country with high concentrations if ignorant morons - this is true.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

I don’t know if it was posted or not, but the Israel study that showed Pfizer only has a 39% efficacy against the delta variant did the math wrong and the vaccine efficacy found based on the data from that study is still 89%.

Neat. 

I feel like everything I've read about Israel finding out things during this ordeal has been wrong. 

6 hours ago, Xenos said:

They’ve been more right than wrong.

Ever since this thing began, there's been reports that they have all these drugs that work miracles but then are never talked about. If I dug far back into Reddit, where I used to spend most of my time when this started, I'd find them. There are many more examples as well but the first 6 months is what sticks out most. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Ever since this thing began, there's been reports that they have all these drugs that work miracles but then are never talked about. If I dug far back into Reddit, where I used to spend most of my time when this started, I'd find them. There are many more examples as well but the first 6 months is what sticks out most. 

That noise gets washed out eventually. It's why seeing a consistent response person to person is such a big indicator, and why pharma is obsessed with a mechanism of action. Knowing how the drug works is great, but the best part is that by knowing how the drug works, you've proved the drug actually works.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pwny said:

Neat. 

can you post that? 

I read a rundown (by an immunologist) of the data that was released a few days ago. Apparently it's still 50-60% effective at preventing infection. They didn't have a number for effectiveness against symptomatic infection (i assume that's the 89% you're referring to?) , which is way more important, imo. Still HIGHLY effective against severe cases. 

Edited by WizeGuy

53 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

can you post that? 

I read a rundown (by an immunologist) of the data that was released a few days ago. Apparently it's still 50-60% effective at preventing infection. They didn't have a number for effectiveness against symptomatic infection (i assume that's the 89% you're referring to?) , which is way more important, imo. Still HIGHLY effective against severe cases. 

Sure thing! Here you go 

https://www.covid-datascience.com/post/israeli-data-how-can-efficacy-vs-severe-disease-be-strong-when-60-of-hospitalized-are-vaccinated

• Like 1