2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

9 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Chase Daniels was cut by the Lions.  Wouldn't he be an upgrade at backup QB over Mannion?  Wonder what he would cost.

You’re probably trying to split hairs. Both are nothing more than sounding boards for a starter, and shouldn’t see the field. 

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

No one saying Tomlinson is a bad player. I look at plenty of gmen games since they show that in my area a ton. In our 4-3, when both DT/NT are not gonna get to the QB much, as their game is more predictable on swallowing up inside runs, does that mean that it would be a benefit for teams to attempt to pass more frequently on early downs (as we won't have pressure from inside), or on 3rd and +6 and no real offensive run threat do both come off the field a fair amount in this situations. 

I mean ... i'd like our goalline D

I think Tomlinson is a great addition for our defense. Next year we're gonna handle the line of scrimmage with our D-line, Kendricks and Barr are gonna be able to roam free.

Make Hunter happy, draft Kwitty Paye in the first and our D is gonna be top 5 next year

Now Tomlinson is a signing that actually excites me. When is the last time we had two DT's that were good against the run? The Williams Wall? That is going to be huge. I'm so sick of watching this team be so soft in the middle. 

I know DE and CB are needs, and the OL needs to be fixed, but Zimmer's defense is going to work so much better with strong DT's.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Now Tomlinson is a signing that actually excites me. When is the last time we had two DT's that were good against the run? The Williams Wall? That is going to be huge. I'm so sick of watching this team be so soft in the middle. 

I know DE and CB are needs, and the OL needs to be fixed, but Zimmer's defense is going to work so much better with strong DT's.

Love the positivity. The more I read about Tomlinson, the more I like the signing. 

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

How does it feel now to have on the Vikings the only 2 players in NFL history with the first name Dalvin?

Hadn’t had enough time to process it yet, but at first glance, I think I like it. Probably suggest the name for my grandchildren (doubt it will be considered, though). 😆 

While of course I would want the bigger name and more of pass rusher in Rankins. I do really like the Dalvin signing. He will keep the LBs clean and shows the ability to get off blocks unlike Shamar. He helps Zimmer get teams to become one dimensional again.   

Edited by dc_vikingfan

I’m wondering if Zimmer even values having a penetrating 3T type like he had in Cincinnati versus rotating smaller DEs into that spot in nickel. Mn hasn’t really drafted a penetrating 3T, I guess until Lynch this year, and they did sign Richardson a few years back but he didn’t really pan out as a key cog. Zimmer has had Stephen for awhile now as his starter at 3T, until last year and the one year with Richardson. 

I like the idea of having two powerful players in base in the middle of the defense with Odinigbo and Lynch working into the rotation on passing downs. Weatherly and Wonnum should compete to start at RE with hopefully a happy Hunter at LE. I still wouldn’t shy away from adding a mid round DT to push Jaleel Johnson off the team. Tomlinson looks like a major upgrade over Shamar Stephen, so I’d assume Stephen can now be released since Watts can backup at either spot.

8 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

While of course I would want the bigger name and more of pass rusher in Rankins. I do really like the Dalvin signing. He will keep the LBs clean and shows the ability to get off blocks unlike Shamar. He helps Zimmer get teams to become one dimensional again.   

@Arif didn't much care for it when I said it's an upgraded version of Stephen and Linval in 2019.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

You’re probably trying to split hairs. Both are nothing more than sounding boards for a starter, and shouldn’t see the field. 

Well, at least Daniel has shown the ability to competently play when he's on the field.  

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

@Arif didn't much care for it when I said it's an upgraded version of Stephen and Linval in 2019.  

This is exactly it. And I’m surprised more people aren’t seeing that this is what the Vikings having been doing and trying to do with their defensive tackles since Zimmer got here. 

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, at least Daniel has shown the ability to competently play when he's on the field.  

Maybe years ago. But moving forward I wouldn’t put him in a better tier than Mannion. Neither QB is going to win you games. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Just now, SemperFeist said:

This is exactly it. And I’m surprised more people aren’t seeing that this is what the Vikings having been doing and trying to do with their defensive tackles since Zimmer got here. 

Yep, it's clearly why they haven't drafted a penetrating 3T.  That's not what he's looking for in his interior defensive line.  He wants them to clog up the middle, shutting down the inside run.