2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I like the idea of having two powerful players in base in the middle of the defense with Odinigbo and Lynch working into the rotation on passing downs. Weatherly and Wonnum should compete to start at RE with hopefully a happy Hunter at LE. I still wouldn’t shy away from adding a mid round DT to push Jaleel Johnson off the team. Tomlinson looks like a major upgrade over Shamar Stephen, so I’d assume Stephen can now be released since Watts can backup at either spot.

Just an FYI that both Odenigbo (RFA) and J. Johnson (UFA) would need to be re-signed. Jaleel is as good as gone with Tomlinson signing. I agree with cutting Stephen.

NT: Pierce, Watts

3T: Tomlinson, Lynch

DE: Hunter, Weatherly, Wonnum, Willekes, Brailford, Mata'afa

Love the wrestling background that Tomlinson has. 

“I feel like wrestling was probably the biggest thing that helped out just because you learn leverage and that’s a big key to defensive line-offensive line,” Tomlinson told 247 Sports in 2016. “So I feel like wrestling is probably the biggest sport that helped out.”

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/07/new-york-giants-dalvin-tomlinson-recognized-high-school-wrestling-championships/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yep, it's clearly why they haven't drafted a penetrating 3T.  That's not what he's looking for in his interior defensive line.  He wants them to clog up the middle, shutting down the inside run.

yep, been saying it for a while now. even tho i personally like the guys that get to the QB for excitement. I get it tho. you get a couple LB's that can tackle well in space, can clog the middle up, it can open up an defense to help defend the pass.

in reality, Dalvins sack numbers arent high, but his pressure rate isnt all that bad. coming from giants fans it sounded like he was constantly building pressure on the inside and it lead to a lot more double teams. I can be a fan of that in this defense.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

yep, been saying it for a while now. even tho i personally like the guys that get to the QB for excitement. I get it tho. you get a couple LB's that can tackle well in space, can clog the middle up, it can open up an defense to help defend the pass.

in reality, Dalvins sack numbers arent high, but his pressure rate isnt all that bad. coming from giants fans it sounded like he was constantly building pressure on the inside and it lead to a lot more double teams. I can be a fan of that in this defense.

I’m curious to see what this means for those A gap blitzes that Zimmer likes to use. I feel like we haven’t seen that as much over the past couple of seasons. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I’m curious to see what this means for those A gap blitzes that Zimmer likes to use. I feel like we haven’t seen that as much over the past couple of seasons. 

I think that was really more about the trust in the DB's. 2 years ago Rhodes wasnt on his A-Game, Waynes had his struggles and good moments, along with Alexander. Prior years it seemed like there was just more trust. You almost have to have players that can get to the QB. Last year with young CB's, Barr gone, Hunter out, we really didnt have much along with the fact our interior lineman didnt create much pressure or put a little fear in there for a double team.

Wilson is for sure also not Barr. Barr while he might not be "worth" every penny, his size and athleticism coming up the middle, the QB was noticing that guy, and still had to worry about Griffen or Hunter coming off the edge. 

Really it was more about Zimmer not trusting the defense as much to me.

44 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

sounds like my old draft crush is in the talks as well, Keanu Neal via Wolfson on twitter.

PERSONALLY, i'm still not like completely amazed with what hes done in the NFL. Injuries, and all, but veterans getting brought in and can play by Smith should help him.

He was one of my targets in FA for the safety position, as he is right in the wheelhouse of what Spielman likes in free agents...significant injury history but still young with upside.

https://franchisesports.co.uk/keanu-neal-free-agency-landing-spots-2021/