the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

This will not lower our cap number. Brockers cap hit is $8.5m. Lowry is $6.3m.

Not only that you want us to get older, more expensive and give up draft picks in the process. Yikes!

Just thought about it. No way the Rams would've been stupid enough to ship him to playoff rival anyways. Shipping him to Detroit was smarter so it's a mute point.

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Brockers is the kinda guy you can win with. Not gonna find any difference makers. Missed 6 games in 9 years

Though reinforcing the IDL would certainly be a good thing - (in theory at least....) you can never have enough beasts / difference makers in the middle - the IDL was not in fact the reason our last season ended.

Right now, we've got a much larger hole to fill at one of the prime reasons (position-ally) our season did end.

CB

It's back to the top of the heap of "needs" this offseason and draft. How they figure it out.....we shall see.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd give them a 2nd in a heartbeat. Would have to be a pretty high value deal though

Field Yates  -    J.C. Jackson had 9 interceptions in 2020, second most in the NFL. He has 17 in 3 seasons and is a speedy, confident CB with good length, great ball skills and is just 25.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Though reinforcing the IDL would certainly be a good thing - (in theory at least....) you can never have enough beasts / difference makers in the middle - the IDL was not in fact the reason our last season ended.

Right now, we've got a much larger hole to fill at one of the prime reasons (position-ally) our season did end.

CB

It's back to the top of the heap of "needs" this offseason and draft. How they figure it out.....we shall see.

Helping the DL does help the CB's. And much harder to get immediate DL help in the draft. Brockers had 5 sacks last year. Lowry had 6 sacks in 3 years. I assume he knows the system as well

Edited by cannondale

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Helping the DL does help the CB's. And much harder to get immediate DL help in the draft. Brockers had 5 sacks last year. Lowry had 6 sacks in 3 years

Dont think anybody's claiming Brockers isnt better than Lowry - so the point is moot.
Whether 5 sacks is an impressive total when Donald's eating up double teams every down - a subjective opinion. We're kinda tight on cash at the moment and he's kinda pricey (relatively speaking).  I think thats the point most were making.

Edited by Leader

15 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Just thought about it. No way the Rams would've been stupid enough to ship him to playoff rival anyways. Shipping him to Detroit was smarter so it's a mute point.

I'm sorry I can't ignore this, it's the OCD in me...

It's MOOT.

Just now, Leader said:

Field Yates  -    J.C. Jackson had 9 interceptions in 2020, second most in the NFL. He has 17 in 3 seasons and is a speedy, confident CB with good length, great ball skills and is just 25.

Yeah you're looking at 14-16 per I'd guess.

He would be the #1 FA CB if he was a UFA, as a 2nd round RFA he technically is cause you aren't going to touch a CB that good in rd 2.

That said, Jaire is a 20m a year CB, so I doubt the other guy can be that expensive with Jenkins, Tonyan, Savage needing extensions in the next 2 years, I doubt we can afford it.

Just now, Leader said:

Dont know....probably not....but could you imagine pairing him with JA? Both would be 24-25 years old. Our CB position would be taken care of for years.

This is the kind of move that I would love to see just as many of you would. As it was mentioned earlier there are two ways to improve DL play as it pertains to pass defense and pass rush. The first is to get horses who can get to the QB so the CB dont have to cover for very long. The second is mediocre line play and corners who can cover. What if you have LB who can get to the QB and two lock down corners? It wouldn't do much for the run defense but damn the pass D would be shored up rather quickly.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah you're looking at 14-16 per I'd guess.

He would be the #1 FA CB if he was a UFA, as a 2nd round RFA he technically is cause you aren't going to touch a CB that good in rd 2.

That said, Jaire is a 20m a year CB, so I doubt the other guy can be that expensive with Jenkins, Tonyan, Savage needing extensions in the next 2 years, I doubt we can afford it.

Lets establish the *Gold Standard* for the CB position:  Both starting CBs at 20M per :)