3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Lance isn't ready to step in as a day one starter. He's going to need at least a year to sit behind a QB before he'll be ready to play. It would be similar to the Smith/Kapernick and Smith/Mahomes situations. 

If you're moving on from Garoppolo then no question in my mind that the pick should be Justin Fields. 

None of the three should start Day 1. Honestly, I wouldn't even start Wilson Day 1. Lawerence is only QB that I feel has the combination of starts in college, along with the physical and mental makeup to be a Day 1 starter out the gate. The rest shouldn't start Day 1. I could see a point where they eventually take over as the QB1 as a rookie, much like Tua last year. But the pressure shouldn't be on them from jump imo.

Of the two, I would probably go with Fields right now. The athleticism and raw potential as a pocket passer probably puts him over the Lance for me at this stage. I don't understand the big push for Lance all of a sudden. I don't see this massive upside most do. I understand he's very young but he looks very robotic/stiff to me as passer. He's not fluid with his motion. I think he lacks good feel in the pocket and his accuracy is very hit or miss. He missed a ton of WIDE OPEN receivers when I watched him. You can see some good qualities with him some of the things he was asked to do as far as making adjustments at the line. But I don't think he was necessarily good at it all the time and got fooled quite often by defenses. His athleticism doesn't impress me as much as Fields. They cleaned up his throwing motion for his Pro Day so that was a nice step. But ultimately, he worries me alot.

I mean Fields worries me alot as well. But he's been playing at a high level since hs. I remember watching the Elite 11 QB camp with him and Lawrence going at it and here we are, four years later and they're still at it. He's played in high stakes games and has won his share and lost his share. I think those moments are important in development and maturation so that isn't a bad thing for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N4L said:

You don't make the most important pick in franchise history, the most important pick of Lynch and shanahans career, based on who is going to start for you in 2021. That would be so dumb. I can't stress enough how foolish that would be.

How many more years of mediocrity do they get before they're fired?

Just now, NYRaider said:

How many more years of mediocrity do they get before they're fired?

Considering they had the worst roster in football when taking over and made the SB three years later? They are fine for at least two or three more years. 

But yeah, you don't take a certain QB here just because Jimmy will or will not be here. You take the one you think will be the best going forward. 

And there is no need to trade Jimmy away. The team is fine cap space wise. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Considering they had the worst roster in football when taking over and made the SB three years later? They are fine for at least two or three more years. 

But yeah, you don't take a certain QB here just because Jimmy will or will not be here. You take the one you think will be the best going forward. 

And there is no need to trade Jimmy away. The team is fine cap space wise. 

The NFC West is tough, the Rams look elite, the Seahawks will be good, and the Cardinals look poised to take a leap. 

He may have inherited a bad team but they're going into year 5 of the Lynch/Shanahan era. If they have two more consecutive losing seasons that'll be 5/6 years with one year being an outlier. Most GM's and coaches don't last that long with sustained losing.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The NFC West is tough, the Rams look elite, the Seahawks will be good, and the Cardinals look poised to take a leap. 

He may have inherited a bad team but they're going into year 5 of the Lynch/Shanahan era. If they have two more consecutive losing seasons that'll be 5/6 years with one year being an outlier. Most GM's and coaches don't last that long with sustained losing.

Sure, and most don't talk over as terrible of rosters that this regime did. No one is worried about this team having two losing seasons to start out their reign. The 2019 season was bad where there were real expectations but this team also had the worst injury season in the last 20 years. One of the issues is relying on a QB that continues to get hurt so they are attempting to right their wrong with this trade. 

They are going to still try to compete and win a SB next season. I don't care how good the Rams/Seahawks/Cardinals look, the Niners have a crazy amount of talent/depth themselves. So they will be able to compete with all those teams.

Of course if they have two more losing seasons it won't look good and put them on the hot seat, but you still don't make a move for a QB that you think will be most ready to help in year one. You go with the guy you believe in the most going forward. Again, no reason to get rid of Jimmy as the team is just fine in terms of cap space and you can move him next year. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I you look only at the W/L record sure. 

Year one we where just void of talent and still we had a ton of close games that with slightly more talent would have been won.

Year two the starting QB gets injured week two and with two not so great QB's we never where totally out of games.

Year three they go to the Superbowl not much more you can do aside from finishing the game.

Year four again the starting QB goes down week two and after that he played a few games but was clear that his Ankle never really healed fully. Besides that we had by far the most injuries and i think most can be classified as not really preventable(things like Jimmy's ankle or Bosa's knee. 

If next two years they don't make the play-offs sure but there are clear and obvious reasons for what has happened in terms of results and while they both have their flaws i think they have done more with the situation they have been in than most other GM's and HC's would have.

If we lose the next two season sure they are on the hot seat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

How many more years of mediocrity does Gruden get before he's fired?

FIFY 

Kyle Shanahan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> John Gruden 

Enjoy your overpaid veterans, your draft day reaches, and getting crushed by mahomes, Herbert, and the more talented Denver team for the next 10+ years 

You posted this same nonsense about Kyle and John being on the hot seat in the news forum, and literally everyone shut you down. Now you come in here spewing the same garbage like you have any clue what you are talking about 

Kyle Shanahan has 5 years remaining on his deal. He will get extended 2-3 years into it again. He's 41 years old. He's not going anywhere. 

23 minutes ago, N4L said:

FIFY 

Kyle Shanahan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> John Gruden 

Enjoy your overpaid veterans, your draft day reaches, and getting crushed by mahomes, Herbert, and the more talented Denver team for the next 10+ years 

You posted this same nonsense about Kyle and John being on the hot seat in the news forum, and literally everyone shut you down. Now you come in here spewing the same garbage like you have any clue what you are talking about 

Kyle Shanahan has 5 years remaining on his deal. He will get extended 2-3 years into it again. He's 41 years old. He's not going anywhere. 

Shanahan has won 45% of his games in 4 years and Gruden has won 40% of his games in 3 years. He's way better. 

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Interesting point - Trey Lance has had his pro day already, as has Mac Jones. Justin Fields hasn't. 

Would we make the trade up without waiting for Fields pro day? 

I think it's not really a thing regardless. We didn't even go to Lance's pro day, and the highest guy at Jones' was Ethan Waugh, I'm pretty sure. The pro day thing isn't really worth paying attention to because the team is too into trying to be cute and smoke screens 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Shanahan has won 45% of his games in 4 years and Gruden has won 40% of his games in 3 years. He's way better. 

just a troll wanting an ignore... if you cant see the stupidity in what you type than there is no helping you.  If you can see... well this is an obvious troll job or you are so damn insecure about your team that you want to try to erode others?

Anyhow, he have had a healthy QB for one season with Shanny, that season we went to the super bowl and nearly win it.  The healthy QB that we had for the season is not respected by any pundits as being >12th rank.  So yes, Shanny bad booo this coach get better coach who wins superb owl with #20 QB.  Am I doing it right yet?

I really don't know what to think anymore. When I saw the trade, at first I thought it was a parody account. Then, realizing it was true, I wondered why #3?! The guy I want goes in the top 2. Most likely. Maybe he doesn't, and maybe our staff knows that, in which case, this is absolutely brilliant. But I find it unlikely. So it comes down to me (or us, if you want to be lumped in a group with me) believing our staff knows what it's doing and that whatever QB they pick is the real deal, or they wouldn't have traded 2 extra firsts to acquire him. I'm fine enough with that notion. I'm not much of a hindsight kind of guy. The only negative impact a bad pick will have will be in someone getting fired, and life moving on. But I, personally, won't keep second guessing it too much. I hate all the "we could have drafted Mahomes and Watson" talk. Yes, we could have, but we can't travel back in time, so who cares.

So who do I like more at 3... probably Fields. He has the most upside. So if someone does have a time machine and comes back from the future to tell me Fields is a hall of famer, then those first round picks are well worth it. But is Mac Jones going to be a hall of famer or just a very very solid QB year in and year out? I tend to believe the latter. Is a very very solid QB worth 3 first rounders? I don't think so. So I struggle to imagine this move was made for anything less than extreme upside, so I'm thinking Fields, right now. I have my doubts, but he will sure make the next few years exciting.

As for Jimmy... here's my logic : the greatest benefit of drafting a QB, is having cap space on a rookie contract for five years. We negate that benefit for 2021 by keeping Jimmy at 25m. Cap space rolls over, so if we unload Jimmy now, whatever cap space we end up with this year rolls over to next year, and that cap space then rolls over to the following year, then the following one, and that cap space ultimately pays Nick Bosa. So there are two options that I'm willing to entertain, with that said : trade Jimmy and get another QB who can perhaps start early on, then back up later on. So we could trade Jimmy for a 3rd, and trade for Minshew with a 4th. That would work for me. Or option 2 : Jimmy takes a paycut this year in exchange for his freedom at the end of the year. If he has a great year, he turns that into a good contract next offseason (and we end up with a comp pick to boot). If he refuses, we can cut him or trade him, but his only option is probably the Pats, where he'd still have to beat out Cam, in all likelihood. So we're probably still his best chance at showcasing what he's got and turn it into a good contract in 2022.

So yeah.. my thoughts. Sorry I kept you guys waiting.

• Like 1