Most likely individual records to be broken in year 1 of the 17-game schedule?

Apparition

which ones go down first?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. which ones go down first?

• Passing Yards (5477, Peyton Manning)
    • Passing TDs (55, Peyton Manning)
    • Rushing Yards (2105, Eric Dickerson)
    • Receptions (149, Michael Thomas)
    • Receiving Yards (1964, Calvin Johnson)
    • Receiving TDs (23, Randy Moss)
    • Total TDs (31, LaDainian Tomlinson)
    • Yards From Scrimmage (2509, Chris Johnson)
    • Sacks (22.5, Michael Strahan)

On 3/28/2021 at 7:13 PM, Tk3 said:

Passing Yards and Passing TDs are both very vulnerable. The current rushing record is pretty equitable to a 2k yard season in 16 games. So, rare, but certainly possible

As always, when talking about rushing record, I want to reiterate just how insane OJ's record was, breaking 2k yards in a 14 game season

If he had 16 games then the record is probably closer to 2,250-2,300... and in a 17 game season he's probably in that 2,400 ballpark. Which is such a hard number to comprehend

Ya what a killer season 

Easily sacks. There have been several 20+ sack seasons in the last ten years and I am sure at least one of them would have reached 23 given an extra game - especially if teams continue to air it out more and more. Plus - if it is a race between passing yards and sacks, the passing yards record won't be beaten until near the end of the 17th game, whereas the sacks record could go earlier. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:10 PM, SkippyX said:

instead of a wishful thinking pretend premier QB in Stafford.

I thought people were pretty pumped to get Stafford on a non-Lions team

I can't predict what we'll get, but there's been plenty of QBs that had their 2nd job be their career highlights; even if it's only for 2-3 more yrs

On 3/28/2021 at 9:58 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Rushing yards. I think Henry could do it with an extra game... assuming this isn’t the season where he begins to break down.

It's a pretty rare feat, but I think historically backs who gulp that level of rare air step back a bit the following year - Henry should still have a nice robust total (like 1300-1500 yds) but won't be back in the 2k range until the year after. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

It's a pretty rare feat, but I think historically backs who gulp that level of rare air step back a bit the following year - Henry should still have a nice robust total (like 1300-1500 yds) but won't be back in the 2k range until the year after. 

Good point.

Attempts and such would be easiest I think along with yards. 2013 Manning had 342 yards a game. In order to equal that in 17 games, that is 322 yards a game, which has happened a few times before yeah. Scoring records are tough either way though. Rushing TDs, and Receiving TDs might not get broken for awhile. 55 TDs is still gonna need a pass happy QB with lots of weapons and an obvious passing attack to work. Rushing yards should be pretty easy I think, as an extra game might give Henry a chance to break it last year (2027 vs 2105 yeah an extra game might have done it) 

Meh.  1973 OJ ran for 175 in 2 games against the Dolphins. Buffalo score 6 points combined.

• I think it was Csonka on one of those America's Game shows talking about how pathetic and useless their 'feed OJ at all costs' offense was.
  • Down 17-0 at halftime and they ran the ball the whole 2nd half. They did not even try to win the game.

The Dolphins ran for 408, 539, and and 304 against the other 3 AFC East doormats. That's 1251 in 6 games.

OJ ran for 1082 in the 6 games against those 3 teams. That's not really special in comparison. 

OJ's backups even combined for 908 rushing that season.

It was a statistical record and it crossed a big round number of 2000. People just really liked the rushing yard record back in the days of basic stats.

OJ had 2003 yards rushing (6.0 is very impressive) and 12 TDs with 2077 yards from scrimmage in 1973. (14 games) (6.1 yards per touch)

1973 was not OJs best year. In 1975 he had 1817 yards rushing (5.5 per carry) but he had 2243 yards from scrimmage and 23 TDs. (6.3 yards per touch)

Sweetness also had 1852 yards rushing (5.5 per carry) and 2121 yards from scrimmage in 1977 (14 games) with 16 TDs.

So OJ 1973 was the 2nd or 3rd best RB season in the last 6 years of 14 game seasons...

Definitely see receptions as a possibility. You don't need to be a great WR to rack up 100+ receptions. All you need to be in today's NFL is an above average slot receiver in an offense built around it slants/quick passes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 3:11 PM, SkippyX said:

The Dolphins ran for 408, 539, and and 304 against the other 3 AFC East doormats. That's 1251 in 6 games.

OJ ran for 1082 in the 6 games against those 3 teams. That's not really special in comparison. 

OJ's backups even combined for 908 rushing that season.

It was a statistical record and it crossed a big round number of 2000. People just really liked the rushing yard record back in the days of basic stats.

So OJ 1973 was the 2nd or 3rd best RB season in the last 6 years of 14 game seasons...

It's one of those interesting bits that Pats in 78 and one of those early 70s Dolphins teams were absolute road-grading rushing attacks, but no one on either team knocked your socks off statistically because the Phins were spliting the work 3 ways and the Pats had a backfield with like 5 people getting significant carries.