Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Sitting out keeps his contract on the book of the GB salary cap, retiring takes it off but they can retain his trade rights for the next three years, Benefits Rodgers to just sit out.

except for those millions of dollars he's losing out on by sitting out

I'd call that bluff every day of the week

2 minutes ago, malak1 said:

They don't think he's ready right now while their window is wide open.

The window is open because of Rodgers. Once he's gone, the window is shifted. The worst thing we could do is expect Love to be a title contender year one. We're moving on from the short window into hopefully a longer window, but that window opens 2-3 years from now.

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

If GB really believes Love can/will be the future, I feel like trying to maximize Rodgers trade value after an MVP season would be ideal. You are basically trading a short 1-2 year championship window for what you believer to be another decade of contending years congruent with Favre and Rodgers' runs. 

Exactly.

I think it's pretty clear the plan was to sit Love for 2 seasons (2021 included) and then work out a trade after this year. But Rodgers is forcing the issue (new reports stating he told prospective Free Agents to reconsider signing in GB because he wasn't planning on being back in 2021), so a June 1st trade opens up some cap room in 2021 for GB to use (either on players acquired via trade or in-season extension(s) for Jaire and Davante).

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Why do you want your 22 year old QB dealing with all that crap in his first real camp to prepare for the starting gig?

At this point there's no point to call his bluff anymore to me. If he acted like a mature 16 year vet during this, yeah I'd be willing to try that, but he's petty as hell. The longer it goes the worse it'll get.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The window is open because of Rodgers. Once he's gone, the window is shifted. The worst thing we could do is expect Love to be a title contender year one. We're moving on from the short window into hopefully a longer window, but that window opens 2-3 years from now.

I don’t disagree. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

It would depend on how good Love is now or in the future, but with decent QB play I still think the Packers roster is good enough to push for playoff wins this year.

It's actually crazy to me Rodgers looked at the team around him and decided he no longer wanted to be there. Packers have tons of impact players on both sides of the ball. The roster has been built really well. Some people can't stay out of their own way....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why do you want your 22 year old QB dealing with all that crap in his first real camp to prepare for the starting gig?

I agree with you overall, but to bring a differing view - Love is going to deal with this no matter the outcome.

Trade, no trade - it's the first question he's going to be asked.

Just now, ET80 said:

I agree with you overall, but to bring a differing view - Love is going to deal with this no matter the outcome.

Trade, no trade - it's the first question he's going to be asked.

For sure, it will be the theme of the first week of camp, but I think after the first preseason game (assuming it's a good performance and not a poor one) I think it shifts towards an excitement to see what Love can become. Whereas if #12 is on the roster, those questions will go for as long as he remains there.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

C'mon, first he's already MADE millions of dollars, he wants more rings which he believes GB isn't willing to help with. Two, he'll take that Jeopardy gig which was paying in the millions, bet he'd do that just to spite the Pack and get them to trade his, as his contract will still be on their Salary Cap with nothing to show for it. 

Doesn't seem like an idle threat to me and AR always has intent on his actions. 

Edited by Cutler06

If anyone is on Aaron's side from a cash-flow or contract $$ perspective, consider this:

In 2018 he agreed to a 6yr deal worth $78.7 million in full guarantees. In the first three years of the deal he has collected over $110 million - or 140% of the guaranteed contract. IN HALF THE TIME.

Who here would be happy if your employer paid you 40% more than they promised in half the amount of time?

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/cash-earnings/

1 minute ago, Cutler06 said:

C'mon, first he's already MADE millions of dollars, he wants more rings which he believes GB isn't willing to help with. Two, he'll take that Jeopardy gig which was paying in the millions, bet he'd do that just to spite the Pack and get them to trade his, as his contract will still be on their Salary Cap with nothing to show for it. 

There is no way he actually believes the Packers FO is trying to sabotage his chances at winning a ring lol. This is a personal vendetta all based around one draft pick. It is petty and one would argue it likely hurts his chances at getting a ring going forward. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Money isn't really a driver for him, it seems. Nobody likes losing $11mm, but if you've banked $240mm and are dead set to making a point, it becomes tolerable at the least, inconsequential at the most.

There's no doubt to me that Rodgers has taken the financial ramifications into consideration before taking his next step. No doubt he's got a team of financial analysts and legal experts running the scenarios for him, letting him know how much he's losing... And how much he'd make back with a new market to endorse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

There is no way he actually believes the Packers FO is trying to sabotage his chances at winning a ring lol. This is a personal vendetta all based around one draft pick. It is petty and one would argue it likely hurts his chances at getting a ring going forward. 

That's BS, that's EXACTLY his complaint. He bitched about drafting Love when they needed another WR or Oline, they chose a guys who was going to sit on the bench.

9 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

He isn’t getting the Jeopardy gig.