2021: 01.02 - Jets select QB Zach Wilson

Bianconero

42 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

My confidence for Wilson didn't grow with just his 2020 take. I like what he did against USC & Tenn in 2019. Those were good teams he performed well against. 

Zero interest in your opinion.😚

Wilson has played offense that Jets will run.  Unless Mike LaFleur is incompetent I don't see why we should worry about him handling NFL.

Big Ben

Flacco

Wentz pre injury

Josh Allen (3 year progression)

Tony Romo (3 year student)

9 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Zero interest in your opinion.😚

Wilson has played offense that Jets will run.  Unless Mike LaFleur is incompetent I don't see why we should worry about him handling NFL.

Big Ben

Flacco

Wentz pre injury

Josh Allen (3 year progression)

Tony Romo (3 year student)

Lmao trash. 

Watching that Coastal Carolina game, it really wasn't as bad as they said. His INT came on a hailmary, so 1 of his 3 for the season. He was under duress often and they were taking cheap shots on him as well, he hung in there and avoided the rush threw some darts that were getting dropped.  Then he almost had them march up the field for a game winning TD but the guy was stopped just short of the endzone. 

When I watch Wilson's games, I don't see a super talented team around him. I see guys who were barely getting open but Wilson was hitting guys with dimes. He also was great at scanning the field and seemed to have a knack at knowing where the pressure was and moving around. 

Unlike some of the other QBs who had elite talent they were throwing to. Mac Jones had wide open WRs most of the time as his guys were way more talented than every team.  Justin Fields played at a school that makes QBs look amazing but fails to produce any NFL QBs. 

Wilson is a perfect fit for the scheme, hes made for it. His release is super quick, hes so fluid in his movements and just a athlete back there. Our offense finally has NFL talent on it as well, hes going to surprise people. Honestly when we lost out on Lawrence I was ready to say trade back and build this roster, but then I started watching Wilson and I was like dang this kid can play. He looks like a special talent at the position and is perfect for the offense we want to run. My main concern is him staying healthy, hes pretty athletic back there and at times he tries too much and puts him in situations where in the NFL he might get knocked out. Like when he tries jumping over DBs. 

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

What’s not to like about the players talent and mental make up?

His boy band look ;)

In all seriousness..... I was on the train of keeping Darnold and surrounding him with talent. Adding a ton of picks in a trade back. There was even a time I wanted FIelds over Wilson bc I believed Fields was the safer pick. And didn't think we were in a position to take a risk.

Now that the dust has settled... I'm so glad we did what we did. And this is where JD has earned my trust. Once we traded Darnold and it was clear we were drafting Wilson, I was still incredibly worried we weren't going to learn anything and still give him on offense what we've given every QB before him pretty much. And that's garbage. And expect better results.

JD did the exact opposite and followed up drafting Wilson with 3 very good offensive players for us. Increasing the odds of Wilson to succeed. He's made the left side of this OL young and elite. He's made the WR room young and loaded with talent. He added a nice pick at RB (who should start if it were me). Given Wilson the surroundings to succeed. It just feels different this time. And in a great way. I think we found our guy in Wilson. And while I do really like his skill set... I think it's more what we did around him and the staff now that will make him succeed. Than Wilson on his own. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:38 PM, GangGreen420 said:

I still don’t like this pick

really hoping he and Douglas prove me wrong 

Both you and Ricky  feel the same way about Wilson, as I felt about Darnold when we  drafted him. I saw all lot of Darnold games at USC and times he look bad. Never saw Wilson play one game and had no interest in watching the games he played against JR  colleges. I though Fields was the safe pick. But to be fair to Wilson we just have to  wait, to see how  he pans out. I have to go along with Douglas, he knows a hell of lot more about Wilson than I know. To tell you the truth I can't wait to see him on the field. If Wilson puts up numbers like Justin Herbert did last year for the Chargers, that would more than satisfy. me.

9 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Both you and Ricky  feel the same way about Wilson, as I felt about Darnold when we  drafted him. I saw all lot of Darnold games at USC and times he look bad. Never saw Wilson play one game and had no interest in watching the games he played against JR  colleges. I though Fields was the safe pick. But to be fair to Wilson we just have to  wait, to see how  he pans out. I have to go along with Douglas, he knows a hell of lot more about Wilson than I know. To tell you the truth I can't wait to see him on the field. If Wilson puts up numbers like Justin Herbert did last year for the Chargers, that would more than satisfy. me.

That should not be the bar for any rookie QB lol. 

Just now, ekill08x said:

That should not be the bar for any rookie QB lol. 

Normally you would be right, but the investment we have in Wilson is huge he is our whole future. All he has to do is move the offensive put up decent numbers just like Herbert did, I certainly don't except him to win ten or more games this upcoming year. The only problem is   we have to wait thee months to see him play.

I 

43 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I see people say Fields was the safe pick a lot and I just dont understand it. Now remember when we lost out on Lawrence I was against moving on from Darnold until I looked deep into Wilson(pause). 

44 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Normally you would be right, but the investment we have in Wilson is huge he is our whole future. All he has to do is move the offensive put up decent numbers just like Herbert did, I certainly don't except him to win ten or more games this upcoming year. The only problem is   we have to wait thee months to see him play.

I 

Those weren't decent numbers those were top 10 numbers. Those numbers would set Jet records. Rookie QBs dont do what Herbert did. It is unrealistic. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Those weren't decent numbers those were top 10 numbers. Those numbers would set Jet records. Rookie QBs dont do what Herbert did. It is unrealistic. 

HOW DO WE KNOW Wilson, won't put up decent numbers?  Wentz, Goff, & Mahomes, Jackson all did it in their rookie year why can't Wilson do it? Wilson is coming in as highly rated as any of the above players. We just have to wait and see, it makes no sense beating this topic to death for the next three months.