Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

I love how so many pretend money is really a factor. I think if we've learned anything from watching the Saints the last 8 years and then the Mahomes signing, and the Buccaneers contracts that money can easily be moved and manipulated. Alexander is a bright star and a corner stone to the defense. He is going no where.

Note, I'm not saying it doesn't play a roll at all, but if it comes down to making money work to keep a player like Alexander it is 100% happening. 

Edited by Toddfather

3 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I love how so many pretend money is really a factor. I think if we've learned anything from watching the Saints the last 8 years and then the Mahomes signing, and the Buccaneers contracts that money can easily be moved and manipulated. Alexander is a bright star and a corner stone to the defense. He is going no where.

The Saints are currently in salary cap hell, and they're 7-7 without a franchise QB.  Their one of the last franchises I want to be right now.  I'm currently looking at their cap situation next year, and it's a mess.  Makes Green Bay look pretty straight forward in comparison.  Their reckoning on the doorstep...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because corners get paid.  And get paid handsomely.  Last year, WJ3 and Shaq Griffin both got 3 years, $40M+.  Adoree' Jackson got 3 years, $39M.  They're nowhere near Jaire's ability.  Two years ago, Byron Jones got 5 years, $82.5M.  If Jaire hits FA, he's getting $17M+ (plus whatever inflation pushes that in two years).

He said he’d be easy to sign, not cheap to sign

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

I think he is looking at 20+ easy.

I think he's looking at Jalen Ramsey money and should be. You can do that and keep him under 15 a year cap wise for 2-3 years. Then the new CBA deal kicks in and the 20 + a year looks like a bargain. You also have cleared the decks of the contract we have going now. 

28 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Note, I'm not saying it doesn't play a roll at all, but if it comes down to making money work to keep a player like Alexander it is 100% happening. 

Yeah theyre finally going down. I don't want to be like them at all either, nor do I think the Packers will. We will cut cap, but we can also cut it with extensions into the new TV deal money. I think its better odds we do that then just gut and suck for a year or two. 

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because corners get paid.  And get paid handsomely.  Last year, WJ3 and Shaq Griffin both got 3 years, $40M+.  Adoree' Jackson got 3 years, $39M.  They're nowhere near Jaire's ability.  Two years ago, Byron Jones got 5 years, $82.5M.  If Jaire hits FA, he's getting $17M+ (plus whatever inflation pushes that in two years).

agreed.  Jaire likely is pushing the $20M per year with the upcoming influx of cap increases 

Maybe the 2021 injury dampens that some, but I would guess the Jaire/his agent would be looking long term at a big contract regardless

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Not disagreeing at all.  The JA deal will not be for less than 5 years.  Easy to spread that money out.

7 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

When Jason Licht sleeps he dreams of Carmen Policy as the voice of experience, warning him against pushing too much money into future years. Unfortunately, when he wakes up he forgets everything he dreamed.

Except Tampa Bay isn't even close to being in salary cap hell right now.  And they probably won't since as soon as Brady retires, they'll be rebuilding again.

Going back to TT, I'm trying to think of a stud player who left here after their rookie year? Casey Hayward is all I can think of and he wasn't a stud until he left. We've even paid out for RBs and OGs which are "non-premium" positions.

There is less than a 1% chance Jaire leaves. Just a dumb take without evidence to say otherwise.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Going back to TT, I'm trying to think of a stud player who left here after their rookie year? Casey Hayward is all I can think of and he wasn't a stud until he left. We've even paid out for RBs and OGs which are "non-premium" positions.

There is less than a 1% chance Jaire leaves. Just a dumb take without evidence to say otherwise.

I said the same thing in a different thread.

I have to go back to Paup to find an example of a player that we let walk who was near the top of his position group at the end of his first contract.

I know Corey Williams was after that, but I'm not sure Corey was in a top tier at his position.  He was a good player, no doubt, but he wasn't near the top of his position.

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Tretter. Arguably top 5, but we had Linsley. Not apples to apples since there is only one C, but it fits the question. 

Edited by Smidgeon