NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I actually think they should pass, just due to monetary reasons. He is the same draft class as JJ (and Reagor lol). He's going to want to get paid. Pretty soon you will have huge money in JJ and then probably Jeudy. I don't think that will work for the team structure. 

Oh I don’t disagree, I would say it would be tough to do for the Vikings. Giving up a #1 for him you almost need to restructure right away. Hard to imagine you could do that with JJ and well…. JJ. 

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

This is the kind of trade I keep suggesting teams make....like Dalvin and a 4th for a 3rd or 2nd or something.....

I like the idea, but I think it'd be a pretty hard sell for day 2 pick swaps with his contract. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

If I was Joe Douglas, I’d offer the Packers the Jets’ original 2nd round pick in 2023, and a 2nd round pick in 2024. And I’d tell them they only get half of that offer if no trade happens before the draft. 

Then I’d hang up. 

And they just don’t do anything…. And don’t trade Rodgers.

Packers are under the cap, typically don’t sign free agents, and can find money for the draft. 

Rodgers isn’t going to just sit and ride the bench for the Packers. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

And they just don’t do anything…. And don’t trade Rodgers.

Packers are under the cap, typically don’t sign free agents, and can find money for the draft. 

Rodgers isn’t going to just sit and ride the bench for the Packers. 

There is no reconciling here. Rodgers isn’t starting for the Packers ever again. And isn’t he owed $60 million. 

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Absolutely he won’t. Packers are in a pinch either way you look at it, but at the same time they could just eat and and let Rodgers retire.

That doesn’t make sense though. They granted the Jets and Rodgers permission to discuss a trade. NFLPA would certainly take issue if a team is outright forcing a player to  retire if they clearly want to play because I don’t see Rodgers going that route. 

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That doesn’t make sense though. They granted the Jets and Rodgers permission to discuss a trade. NFLPA would certainly take issue if a team is outright forcing a player to  retire if they clearly want to play because I don’t see Rodgers going that route. 

They don’t need to force him. He just won’t play for the team. Pretty clear Rodgers won’t just sit and ride the bench and will just retire. 

you also aren’t going to just force a team to give you picks if that’s not what they want for one year of service. 

10 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

They don’t need to force him. He just won’t play for the team. Pretty clear Rodgers won’t just sit and ride the bench and will just retire. 

if he did though he'd get a LOT of media attention, which he does enjoy.

oh, and 58 million to do it.

• Like 1

He can "play" for the Packers without "playing" for the Packers, and Rodgers is just the kind of guy to sandbag them. He can "hold-in" during training camp and not take a single snap in practice or preseason. He can audible plays to less effective ones. He can milk every nick or scrape. He can develop "soreness" in his arm. He can do any number of things where he's there collecting his enormous paycheck and giving the Packers no value for it. And, again, Rodgers is the type of guy who'd do it. 

The Packers have no leverage in this situation. 

• Like 1