2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

1 hour ago, Haha21 said:

If we don't move up from 22 to get a WR and Williams, Wilson, London, Olave, and Burks are all gone, I really hope we don't panic and select a WR like Dotson or Watson. Both would be reaches at 22. Take BPA (e.g., Tyler Smith, George Karlaftis).

This is why I would take a shot at trading up for one of the big three or four.  I want to lock the future #1 WR down early .. don't want to see our draft position cost us several top wideouts in round one and then again in round two.  When you pick in the 20's of each round you are kind of at the mercy of the teams around you.  Gute likes to deal up, so I kind of suspect he will do that again this year. 

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

This is why I would take a shot at trading up for one of the big three or four.  I want to lock the future #1 WR down early .. don't want to see our draft position cost us several top wideouts in round one and then again in round two.  When you pick in the 20's of each round you are kind of at the mercy of the teams around you.  Gute likes to deal up, so I kind of suspect he will do that again this year. 

This sounds a bit 'Shermanesque'.

The reason Gute tends to get vets at positions of need before the draft, is that it allows him to go elsewhere if that is where the value is. He won't ignore the WR position for the whole draft, but he is not locked into getting WRs in round one. The 'big three or four' are not like some of the awesome receivers taken early in years past and most of them are somewhat different than what the Packers usually like in an outside WR. Wilson and Williams are rather lightweight and London, while a much stouter build, is not that fast.

In some ways trading up (which you want to see) and trading down (which I want to see) is how we see the various WRs on the board and where we think they go. I want to  trade down from pick 22 into the late 30s or very early 40s, because the receivers that seem the best fit to me, are Wilson, Pickens, Pierce, somewhere in round 2.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

FROu94sVsAAI_lh?format=jpg&name=large

What’s been the consensus ( if any) on him?

Great athlete, not so much as a football player. A complete project worth a day 3 flyer hoping he develops well playing ST's on his rookie contract. Is still only 21.  

Just watched George Karlaftis. Excellent motor but.... where's the bend? i'm not seeing it at all. His speed and explosion seems average too. Looks good as an interior rusher and sets the edge well against the run. I'm not seeing the hype.

5 hours ago, Norm said:

...I'm guessing if you could see every single teams board there's probably 40(?), Just guessing here, total guys over all the teams that have a first round grade somewhere. But one team only has so many so the draft sucks. But they say it every year like that....

:):). Yup.  And yes, it seems every year we hear that there are only 15 1st-rounders and the draft sucks every year.  And we hear that the 2nd round is where the better value is.   

And then every year outside of that top 15 there are good players taken (Stokes, Bulaga, Jaire was at 18, Matthews, TJ Watt, Justin Jefferson, etc. etc.).   Maybe Stokes, Matthews, Watt, and Jefferson weren't really "impact" players and weren't really 1st-round talents, OK fine.  I'd settle for imperfect players like that with our picks this week!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just watched George Karlaftis. Excellent motor but.... where's the bend? i'm not seeing it at all. His speed and explosion seems average too. Looks good as an interior rusher and sets the edge well against the run. I'm not seeing the hype.

Thanks for this note.  The board has been universally pro-Karl, it's seemed.  And the motor is strong, which counts for a lot in my book.  But he may be imperfect with some questions, too.  

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Did you really expect to see Von Miller in his game? Where's bend in Z. Smith or Raushan Gary's game? His game is power, I don't know if he will amount to anything in the NFL but nobody should be thinking 4.4 speed guy of the edge when you're watching Karlaftis.   

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Yes, there is.  My housecats break more tackles than Olave. 

When I see Olave run routes and catch the ball, he reminds me of Marvin Harrison.  Smaller.  Effortlessly fast.  Great breaks.  Olave is the safest bet in this draft class.  If he is in GB, I'd wager he is a 750 yard receiver in year one and then he is over 1,000 for as long as Rodgers is here.  He's got the speed and quickness, we have the offense that needs his precise routes.

Thanks for observations.  As posters have discussed, you may not get access to the perfect WR when drafting in the 20's.  But it may be that Winfree, Malik, Amari, Rico, and Blair aren't perfect either.  And if we're worried that Watson at 22 is old, do we like 24, 25, 25, and 26 Blair, Winfree, Rico, and Malik lots better?  

Adams could block, and occasionally did.  But his biggest role in the offense was not as a blocker but as a pass receiver.  Both the yards and completions that he accrued, but also the pressure that placed on opposing defenses and the attention that he distracted from lesser receivers.  There may be space and use on the roster to have one receiver who's consistently positioned to be a receiver, or at least to provide that threat.   I get that "can't-all-be-point-guards" MLF may want power-forwards only.  But I think he might end up finding it very useful to have a wide receiver who's actually very good at receiving?  And whose receiving capacity takes more attention from the defense and opens up the running game more than another wide-blocker would?  

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Thanks for observations.  As posters have discussed, you may not get access to the perfect WR when drafting in the 20's.  But it may be that Winfree, Malik, Amari, Rico, and Blair aren't perfect either.  And if we're worried that Watson at 22 is old, do we like 24, 25, 25, and 26 Blair, Winfree, Rico, and Malik lots better?  

Adams could block, and occasionally did.  But his biggest role in the offense was not as a blocker but as a pass receiver.  Both the yards and completions that he accrued, but also the pressure that placed on opposing defenses and the attention that he distracted from lesser receivers.  There may be space and use on the roster to have one receiver who's consistently positioned to be a receiver, or at least to provide that threat.   I get that "can't-all-be-point-guards" MLF may want power-forwards only.  But I think he might end up finding it very useful to have a wide receiver who's actually very good at receiving?  And whose receiving capacity takes more attention from the defense and opens up the running game more than another wide-blocker would?  

You have worked this receiver vs. blocker narrative a few times now, but there is no reason that WR's that do both cannot be the option here.