2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

Drafting another QB would be a great idea, but not in the 2022 class. You've got Howell, Rattler, and maybe Daniels as your tier-1, Brock Purdy as an Ian Book-esque 2nd rounder, and then a massive drop IMHO. I also don't think this draft class overall will be that hot, though there will be a lot of value between picks 80-150. In looking over some early rankings I see a lot of guys like Nate Landman, Mike Rose, and Cade Otten that could be drafted in that span that could be solid role players for years to come. 

I'm willing to guess we'll go with a WR, but not early unless we're clearly losing Davante. I'm guessing we grab someone in the 3rd. I think Funchess' performance will determine how we approach the position TBH. I could see us signing him to a 2 year deal if he can solidify himself as a WR2/3. Lazard should have another good year barring injury so I suspect that he'll finally get a 2 or 3 year deal that locks him in. That leaves us with Amari, MVS, and ESB. If ESB doesn't suffer from SFB, and MVS doesn't suffer from EDS, we may not be in the market for a WR5/6(?). Sternberger and Deguara leave us ?'s at TE, but this next year's class is pretty sound; yes, we probably lose Lewis, but finding an inline TE isn't all too hard. We've invested so much in the IOL that unless Newman is a complete wash at RT, I don't see us drafting anyone along the OL except for maybe a developmental LT depending on how Bakh comes back from injury. Pretty sure we'll see another defensive draft or a draft in which we trade up early and then use the rest of our picks on developmental guys

Defensively, I'm also guessing that we'll draft IDL early if Lowry moves on depending on what kind of defense we see out of Barry. If the defensive picks are any indication, he's looking for ILB's that are more about sniffing out the run and attacking with laser focus, physical DB's, and larger IDL that collapse the pocket from the inside on passing downs while maintaining a wall on running downs. I'm getting the feeling we're going to see more of an even front with the Smith's roaming around, Kenny taking on an Aaron Donald-esque role, Slayton eating up blocks, Garvin returning to more of a DE EDGE guy(wide-9 maybe?), and Gary possibly roaming a bit as well to look for potential one-on-ones.

Bottom line: this draft will be VERY interesting - at least where we stand today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Drafting another QB would be a great idea, but not in the 2022 class. You've got Howell, Rattler, and maybe Daniels as your tier-1, Brock Purdy as an Ian Book-esque 2nd rounder, and then a massive drop IMHO. I also don't think this draft class overall will be that hot, though there will be a lot of value between picks 80-150. In looking over some early rankings I see a lot of guys like Nate Landman, Mike Rose, and Cade Otten that could be drafted in that span that could be solid role players for years to come. 

I think Howell starts the year out as QB1, but Spencer Rattler can/will jump him with a strong year.   Think Slovis out of USC can probably push for an early draft pick with a strong year where he stays healthy.  Desmond Ridder probably would have been a Day 2 pick had he declared, and another strong year likely catapults him into the first round.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think Howell starts the year out as QB1, but Spencer Rattler can/will jump him with a strong year.   Think Slovis out of USC can probably push for an early draft pick with a strong year where he stays healthy.  Desmond Ridder probably would have been a Day 2 pick had he declared, and another strong year likely catapults him into the first round.

Rattler ends up as QB1 for sure. Not sold on Howell quite yet. Slovis is okay. Ridder needs to show more but the tools are there. Carson Strong is another one to watch. Brock Purdy is a back-up, at best. JT Daniels is likely better than most of these guys as well. Then you'll have your "out of nowhere" riser. I'm not a huge fan of the class overall.

• Like 1

QBs to watch that I didn't mention above...alphabetical by school

Jayden Daniels | Arizona State | 6'3" 185 - Skinny but toolsy, could be the riser of the class
Bo Nix | Auburn | 6'2" 215 - Not a fan but I could see someone buying into him
Phil Jurkovec | Boston College | 6'5" 226 - Has the size and prospect pedigree but needs to show a lot more on tape
Michael Penix Jr | Indiana | 6'3" 218 - One of the best deep ball throwers I've seen but I question the intermediate arm strength
Luke McCaffrey | Louisville | 6'2" 200 - Has the name/pedigree but, as a RS Sophomore he also has time yet
Taulia Tagovailoa | Maryland | 5'11" 205 - I don't believe in him whatsoever but he's got the last name so he'll draw eyes
Alan Bowman | Michigan | 6'3" 215 - Not sure he's anything more than a back-up but we'll see if Harbaugh can do anything with him
Matt Corral | Ole Miss | 6'1" 205 - I don't see it but he's a name to watch regardless
Tyler Shough | Texas Tech | 6'5" 221 - Has the size and pedigree but he needs to show more

I'm sure I left someone off but, LIS above, I am not a fan of this (potential) class overall.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The Liberty kid will go round 1 as long as the wheels don't come off. I've barely watched him, but seen enough to know that he'll get the Lance/Love hype. 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:51 AM, Nick_gb said:

Well, the 2021 draft is now behind us! Time to discuss what we can do with all those picks we’re going to get for Rodgers. 

Good to know that even if we end up with a losing record, we'll still be picking at the bottom of the first round.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The Liberty kid will go round 1 as long as the wheels don't come off. I've barely watched him, but seen enough to know that he'll get the Lance/Love hype. 

Malik Willis? Doubtful. He's like 6'0" tall and runs a gimmicky offense. I don't see the arm talent of Lance and Love either. He's closer to a Lamar Jackson type of QB (without the otherworldly COD/speed) than he is a Lance/Love type.

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Malik Willis? Doubtful. He's like 6'0" tall and runs a gimmicky offense. I don't see the arm talent of Lance and Love either. He's closer to a Lamar Jackson type of QB (without the otherworldly COD/speed) than he is a Lance/Love type.

That QB guru he's got (worked with Wentz, Watson, Fields, Lance among others) says he has the livest arm he's worked with. Multiple scouts in the Bruce Feldman Athletic article refer to him as "freaky." Don't have a horse in the race as obviously I'm not a Liberty fan lol, but keep an eye out for him.

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Rattler ends up as QB1 for sure. Not sold on Howell quite yet. Slovis is okay. Ridder needs to show more but the tools are there. Carson Strong is another one to watch. Brock Purdy is a back-up, at best. JT Daniels is likely better than most of these guys as well. Then you'll have your "out of nowhere" riser. I'm not a huge fan of the class overall.

I'm not either. He seems to be one of those guys that you hear a lot of hype about but then you watch him and you're kind of left waiting around to see the "wow" moment that draws the hype; though that's not to say he's a bad player or anything. I'm sure the media will help him out by over-covering him to a fault and we'll see highlight-after-highlight of him.

I'm with @CWood21though, Rattler's going to have a really good year given that every other defense in that conference just lost a ton of their starters to the draft and UDFA, mainly Texas and Iowa St.(though ISU's secondary and ILB corps are still intact) I'm sure he'll have it pretty easy in that conference and it'll be interesting to see how he fares in his bowl game against, assumedly, a real defense.