2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

This is definitely a class to invest in a TE pick. I'm hoping the first rounder is used on DL or EDGE, since we're likely losing Z and Preston and we could always use help next to KC97. I think that's where I start the draft. The first 3 picks should be there to address those spots unless the board gets pillaged. Safety and WR would be smart investments as well. 

Day 1 - EDGE/DL
Day 2 - DL/EDGE and LB/WR/SAF/TE
Day 3 - Fill out the rest, TE and WR are deeper than LB, DL/EDGE and SAF. Also, got to get the usual OL pick.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 6:47 PM, Brit Pack said:

George Pickens my draft crush. His father was a favourite of mine growing up

He's going to fall further than someone with his talent should because he missed most of the year with an ACL. Be a great guy to grab though. 

On 1/11/2022 at 6:57 PM, Leader said:

This is why the top guys should not play bowl games.......

Adam Schefter -    Alabama's Jameson Williams, the projected top WR in the 2022 NFL Draft, tore his ACL last night vs. Georgia. Doctors believe that, after surgery within the next 10 days, Williams will retain his sub 4.3 speed, and they expect a full recovery.

Seeing the best players sit out the college playoff/championship games would be amazing.  How long before the NCAA implements fines to be taken out of NIL income for players who sit out bowl games?  College players can't have it both ways.  If they are getting paid, they need to play.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Seeing the best players sit out the college playoff/championship games would be amazing.  How long before the NCAA implements fines to be taken out of NIL income for players who sit out bowl games?  College players can't have it both ways.  If they are getting paid, they need to play.

That would be interesting, and it might come to that for colleges. Especially if the ratings and revenues from these games start to decline as a result. I imagine it would wind up in a long, drawn-out court battle if the NCAA did try and fine these players. 

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Why the **** would the NCAA be able to fine players when they're not the one's paying the players? I can't imagine a single thing that would get the NCAA's dumb monopoly to come crumbling down faster. 

The only way you could get a fine is if the player has it in his NIL contract with the holder of the contract that he'll play in the bowl games, but most of the companies giving out NIL deals don't want the guys playing in bowl games, because their NIL contract runs longer than the length the player will be in school, so they want that NIL usage to carry over into the pros, something jeopardized by playing in bowl games. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why the **** would the NCAA be able to fine players when they're not the one's paying the players? I can't imagine a single thing that would get the NCAA's dumb monopoly to come crumbling down faster. 

The only way you could get a fine is if the player has it in his NIL contract with the holder of the contract that he'll play in the bowl games, but most of the companies giving out NIL deals don't want the guys playing in bowl games, because their NIL contract runs longer than the length the player will be in school, so they want that NIL usage to carry over into the pros, something jeopardized by playing in bowl games. 

Agree, the large corporate deals are only interested in their investment in the player and what it means long term. On the smaller side is a high number of boosters driven deals and those folks certainly want to see the player playing. If boosters begin to feel they are getting cheated they will start to put language in to get the result to best help the team win, players then will need to decide if they want that money or not. 

I'll add that I don't believe the NCAA does care or should care if players play in Bowl games. It is an individual right to make their own decision concerning the risk to reward.  

Edited by R T

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

That's true and I'd not considered the compensation aspect.....which probably will come to bear in some fashion.

Hmmmm....interesting to read some of the comments about NIL contracts and learn that I actually know little about them.

I'd read that it was outside interests that were paying the players - but not caught on that the agreements extend beyond college years. Interesting. I wonder how much the player(s) turned Pro wind up giving back to these interests.....is any of this information (or the contract terms) publicly known?

On 1/15/2022 at 11:19 PM, beekay414 said:

This is definitely a class to invest in a TE pick. I'm hoping the first rounder is used on DL or EDGE, since we're likely losing Z and Preston and we could always use help next to KC97. I think that's where I start the draft. The first 3 picks should be there to address those spots unless the board gets pillaged. Safety and WR would be smart investments as well. 

Day 1 - EDGE/DL
Day 2 - DL/EDGE and LB/WR/SAF/TE
Day 3 - Fill out the rest, TE and WR are deeper than LB, DL/EDGE and SAF. Also, got to get the usual OL pick.

Grab Charlie Kolar early Day 3 I'm pleased.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Grab Charlie Kolar early Day 3 I'm pleased.

Any one (or two) of Kolar, Cole Turner, Jake Ferguson, Cade Otton, Austin Allen, Isaiah Likely or Greg Dulcich and I'm happy. It's a really deep TE class. I'd even try to bring in Calcaterra late or as a UDFA.

Edited by beekay414

Just messed around on the PFN mock simulator and wanted to post the fake class I came up with. Made a trade to get a few extra top 200 picks by moving down from 134 to 159…

32. Cameron Thomas, EDGE / SDSU

64. DeVonte Wyatt, DL / Georgia

96. George Pickens, WR / Georgia

135. Charlie Kolar, TE / Iowa State

159. JoJo Domann, LB / Nebraska

174. Shaun Jolly, CB / Appalachian State

176. Tyreke Smith, EDGE / Ohio State

195. Cordell Volson, OT / NDSU

219. Mike Rose, LB / Iowa State

227. Jaivon Heiligh, WR / Coastal Carolina

Doubled up on a few positions we could use extra bodies at due to anticipated losses this offseason. Probably a few unrealistic draft positions but I had some fun with this.

• Like 1

So if we do the ole Rodgers for 3 first rounders razzle-dazzle, do we contemplate the ole "Brian Brohm" maneuver and consider someone like Carson Strong as direct competition if they fall that late to one of our later first rounders if we make the hard determination someone there late round 1 is better than Love?  the Kyler Murray clause no longer makes that prospect unpalatable.