2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

34 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think you're completely and intentionally misunderstanding all or some of what I'm saying:

1. I only mentioned where he went to school and did not base my entire take on that.
2. He proved he couldn't carry a team at said school, which is why I agree that he's boom or bust and hated the pick.
3. His tape suggests that he needs much more development, especially in regards to accuracy; hopefully the strides he's taken in his mechanical work can correct this flaw.

Look, I know you think he's the next Mahomes or whatever, but unlike Mahomes he wasn't known for having a big arm(despite a quick release) nor did he consistently put up 3-4 TD games(or 7 TD's like Mahomes did against Baker Mayfield's Sooners FWIW). It's like some of you(not you singularly, Raymond) stick your fingers in your ears and refuse to accept facts that have been supplied from educated and informed sources that have seen WAY more tape than we lowly fans have seen given our limited access. Sure, it's not necessarily the be-all end-all, but you can't overlook a 31% deep ball completion rating and other well-documented accuracy issues and say those aren't major issues.

However, I return to my previous point: The good news is that Love doesn't have to be Rodgers in this offense; he doesn't need to do anything special like Rodgers does. He only needs to carry out the offense by running to set up the pass with short to intermediate throws and the occasional deep ball to keep defenses honest. To be fair, this is essentially the way Rodgers has generally operated the past two seasons. On top of that, you look at the heavy investment we've made along the IOL where it looks like we're going to go with Royce Newman(a Billy Turner-esque swing Tackle) at some point. I personally think it'll work out TBH given our elite OL coaching staff.

Ergo, all Love has to do IS be a game-manager QB.  ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

I don't think he's Mahomes, he has some skillsets that Mahomes has. I just think you don't know what sort of skillset leads to a game manager QB. When you draft a Mac Jones, Andy Dalton, hell even Jared Goff if it doesn't all click, you may end up with a game manager type.

Live arm (yes Love's arm is upper echelon for sure) guys with mobility who have question marks at times with accuracy and decision making don't ever become a game manager. 

Very rarely do they end up middle of the road, they usually flame out or become great. Think like Jay Cutler/Mike Vick (purely passing wise subtract rushing out) I guess those were some similar arm talent type guys who were neither great nor bad. I'd tier it out like this:

All clicks: The Favre/Mahomes tier

Middling career: The Cutler career

Never clicks: JP Losman/JaMarcus Russell.

None of this guy's ever profiled as a game manager. Love is going to boom, or bust hard and be unplayable. He'll never ever be a "get you through a season alright" kind of guy like Dalton or Fitzpatrick.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I think you're completely and intentionally misunderstanding all or some of what I'm saying:

1. I only mentioned where he went to school and did not base my entire take on that.
2. He proved he couldn't carry a team at said school, which is why I agree that he's boom or bust and hated the pick.
3. His tape suggests that he needs much more development, especially in regards to accuracy; hopefully the strides he's taken in his mechanical work can correct this flaw.

Look, I know you think he's the next Mahomes or whatever, but unlike Mahomes he wasn't known for having a big arm(despite a quick release) nor did he consistently put up 3-4 TD games(or 7 TD's like Mahomes did against Baker Mayfield's Sooners FWIW). It's like some of you(not you singularly, Raymond) stick your fingers in your ears and refuse to accept facts that have been supplied from educated and informed sources that have seen WAY more tape than we lowly fans have seen given our limited access. Sure, it's not necessarily the be-all end-all, but you can't overlook a 31% deep ball completion rating and other well-documented accuracy issues and say those aren't major issues.

However, I return to my previous point: The good news is that Love doesn't have to be Rodgers in this offense; he doesn't need to do anything special like Rodgers does. He only needs to carry out the offense by running to set up the pass with short to intermediate throws and the occasional deep ball to keep defenses honest. To be fair, this is essentially the way Rodgers has generally operated the past two seasons. On top of that, you look at the heavy investment we've made along the IOL where it looks like we're going to go with Royce Newman(a Billy Turner-esque swing Tackle) at some point. I personally think it'll work out TBH given our elite OL coaching staff.

Ergo, all Love has to do IS be a game-manager QB.  ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

You lost me at ‘proved he couldn’t carry a team at said school’ 

The guy played with like 1 professional player. Wtf do you want him to do ??

Idk why people are actively looking to dislike this guy. 

Since apparently you're overly critical of the Love/Mahomes comparison, let's dig in.

18 hours ago, Joe said:

Mahomes went to Texas Tech.  Not Texas.  Not Oklahoma.  Not another major program in a P5 conference.  He went to one of the worst (or at it's best most average Big 12) programs in CFB.  Love went to Utah State.  Not quite the P5 conference that Tech is from, but the G5 conferences have gotten better.

18 hours ago, Joe said:

Ironically, neither did Mahomes.  In his 2 seasons as a full-time starter at Tech Mahomes went 12-13 as a starting QB for the Red Raiders.  In Jordan Love's 2 seasons as a full-time starter, he was 18-8.  If Love didn't carry that program, what did Mahomes do?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Since apparently you're overly critical of the Love/Mahomes comparison, let's dig in.

Mahomes went to Texas Tech.  Not Texas.  Not Oklahoma.  Not another major program in a P5 conference.  He went to one of the worst (or at it's best most average Big 12) programs in CFB.  Love went to Utah State.  Not quite the P5 conference that Tech is from, but the G5 conferences have gotten better.

Ironically, neither did Mahomes.  In his 2 seasons as a full-time starter at Tech Mahomes went 12-13 as a starting QB for the Red Raiders.  In Jordan Love's 2 seasons as a full-time starter, he was 18-8.  If Love didn't carry that program, what did Mahomes do?

Mahomes played against tougher competition and his stats are better than that of Mahomes. It's not his fault that defenses aren't that great in the Big XII. Mahomes just got outdueled most of the time; but he was still productive on the offensive side of the ball.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/patrick-mahomes-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jordan-love-2.html

Look, it's a tough pill for most of you to swallow because you want to support the guy and refute every piece of evidence that proves he won't work; I get it. When are you going to accept the fact that if Love was ready, Rodgers would either be traded or there would be a deal in place for the Packers to move off of Rodgers that we would know about? Sure, Rodgers is still a better QB than Love and we'd rather have that option though if Aaron DOES come back, it'll be for one year and he's gone.

We all know the front office isn't infallible and this is one of those incidents where they made a poor decision. Raymond said it himself: Love is a boom-or-bust QB - not the kind of QB you want to be trading up for in the 1st round. 

26 minutes ago, Joe said:

Mahomes played against tougher competition and his stats are better than that of Mahomes. It's not his fault that defenses aren't that great in the Big XII. Mahomes just got outdueled most of the time; but he was still productive on the offensive side of the ball.

Look, it's a tough pill for most of you to swallow because you want to support the guy and refute every piece of evidence that proves he won't work; I get it. When are you going to accept the fact that if Love was ready, Rodgers would either be traded or there would be a deal in place for the Packers to move off of Rodgers that we would know about? Sure, Rodgers is still a better QB than Love and we'd rather have that option though if Aaron DOES come back, it'll be for one year and he's gone.

We all know the front office isn't infallible and this is one of those incidents where they made a poor decision. Raymond said it himself: Love is a boom-or-bust QB - not the kind of QB you want to be trading up for in the 1st round. 

The daily dose of 'Joe' hypehole. On one hand we have Mahomes who is probably the best QB in the NFL today and on the other is Love who is an unknown to everyone outside the walls of Lambeau. Compares Love to Mahomes colleges stat and comes to the conclusion Mahomes was better, therefore Mahomes is awesome and Love was a 'poor decision' and is doomed to fail. Thank you for sharing this brilliance with all of us.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Joe said:

There's literally nothing out there that PROVES Love will not work in the NFL -- Your statistic scouting isn't proof of anything other then that you know how to utilize google. Stop with this nonsense. You, nor I, nor anyone else in this thread knows what Love will become. However, the rest of us will choose to believe in him until he gives us a reason not to. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, R T said:

The daily dose of 'Joe' hypehole. On one hand we have Mahomes who is probably the best QB in the NFL today and on the other is Love who is an unknown to everyone outside the walls of Lambeau. Compares Love to Mahomes colleges stat and comes to the conclusion Mahomes was better, therefore Mahomes is awesome and Love was a 'poor decision' and is doomed to fail. Thank you for sharing this brilliance with all of us.  

Or you can go back to Raymond's previous posts and note the comparison. The only reason I brought him up...

Edited by Joe

On 5/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, Dubz41 said:

With the 32nd pick of the First round of the 2022 NFL draft the Green Bay Packers select OT Logan Brown of the Wisconsin Badgers.

I'd be surprised if we saw another OL selected early unless Myers/Jenkins suffers a career ending injury and/or Bakh is nowhere near where he was pre-ACL.

I can't help but think they'll add another defensive piece early(probably another CB to completely replace King) and then add a few WR's and an IDL given how deep that class is supposed to be. Unless Funchess has a standout year, two of Lazard, ESB, and MVS get legitimate second contacts(nothing tendered).

10 hours ago, Joe said:

What evidence?  The evidence that aside from the fact that one play in the Mountain West and one played in the Big 12, they're relatively similar-ish prospects?  I would agree that the LoC in the Mountain West is inferior to the NFL, but I wouldn't say it's night and day difference.  But so far, the only thing you've argued is that Jordan Love isn't Patrick Mahomes, which is fine.  He doesn't need to be Patrick Mahomes to be successful.  And Love not being NFL-ready coming out of Utah State doesn't change the Rodgers equation.  It wasn't until Josh Allen's 3rd season in the NFL that he was viewed as a franchise QB.

9 hours ago, deathstar said:

Mahomes college coach is now an NFL head coach..

With a seat that is really starting to heat up.  If they don't make the playoffs, he might be be back in the Big 12 come January.

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

With a seat that is really starting to heat up.  If they don't make the playoffs, he might be be back in the Big 12 come January.

Kingsbury might even become one of the midseason firings. Not sure why he was kept this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 5:04 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Kingsbury might even become one of the midseason firings. Not sure why he was kept this year.

and a lot of people aren't sure why he was hired in the first place.

In all fairness, that team is really young and is still in building mode. Other than CB, WR, S, and LB their starters were very questionable and they only had quality depth at WR and LB. The rest of that roster wasn't that good at all. They did ok with the draft and got some nice bridge pieces in FA, especially along the DL, but Kyler Murray will have to do a lot of running around again this year behind that OL.