2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He's not a bender. He's like Gary, he wants to bring you to the QB with him and then shed. Guys like that usually take a bit longer to get used to the NFL OL, but they're usually more versatile when they do. You're not lining Brian Burns or Von Miller at 3T.

One of the scouting sites (don't remember which one) said he has a "hulk smash" style of of pass rush.  I haven't watched him yet but I thought that was a hilarious way of describing his game.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Tbh I wouldn't be opposed to moving up for London, depending on the cost. Williams would be worth the risk where they stand now.

100% Williams would be a top 10 pick. I think we take him but I also would be happy with Pickens in rd 1

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That'll do, good enough to feel great about him, high enough that maybe he makes it to 22? Karlaftis vs Iowa is my favorite tape so far this year. Just a strong, violent dude.

The kid is a stud, and his game is refined.  He may not ever be a superstar pass rusher, but the pressure is going to be consistent from him.

• Like 2

Aaron Nagler -  “I didn’t have any contact with the Packers. This caught me by surprise, honestly.” Jaire Alexander immediately after being drafted by the Packers. Just something to remember while you're reading about pre-draft visits and reported prospect interest at pro days...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Remember when TJ Hockenson was a can’t miss prospect?

He's pretty much what everyone expected him to be? He'd probably be an 800/900 yard player on a team with a real QB and offense.

Not saying I'd pull a Lions and draft him that high, but he's certainly not someone I'd point to and say he's been a disappointment, that's more Fant. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's pretty much what everyone expected him to be? He'd probably be an 800/900 yard player on a team with a real QB and offense.

Not saying I'd pull a Lions and draft him that high, but he's certainly not someone I'd point to and say he's been a disappointment, that's more Fant. 

This.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Remember when TJ Hockenson was a can’t miss prospect?

Yup.  I also remember most everyone LOLing concerning where he was drafted.  Which was HIGH.

TE's are a luxury.  When picking high, better take a premium position that moves the needle more.

The Lions roster was no where near ready to need a TE.  And that really isn't an indictment against Hock.  He's a very, very good player at a non-premium position.

Not his fault the Lions drafted him where they did.  Just the Lions being the Lions.

After doing an embarrassing amount of mocks I've reached a general conclusion that we should take a combo of WR/EDGE in first round followed up by the trenches in the second round.  I'm consistently satisfied with the results following that blueprint. 

When I vary the approach because of how the board fell I am usually disappointed with the end result.

More and more I get a feel that our WR is going to be Pickens or Burks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He's pretty much what everyone expected him to be?

The funny thing is that Hockenson is a player every NFL team would want to have (do-it-all TEs are rare as hen's teeth), but he just doesn't move the needle much in ways that are obvious.  He's like the hardest one to peg if you're redrafting 2019.

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

After doing an embarrassing amount of mocks I've reached a general conclusion that we should take a combo of WR/EDGE in first round followed up by the trenches in the second round.  I'm consistently satisfied with the results following that blueprint. 

When I vary the approach because of how the board fell I am usually disappointed with the end result.

More and more I get a feel that our WR is going to be Pickens or Burks.

I do better with WR, DT, OT, but to each their own. Sometimes OT Penning is there at 22 (in which case I take him), otherwise WR London. Then I usually take DT Winfree at 28,  irrespective of my choice at 22. WR Watson is my choice at 53 (I might change that if I took London at 22). Some might prefer WR Pickens here, but he does have some injury history. Sometimes I'll take TE McBride at 59 (I think he was listed at 260+ earlier, and now he is listed at 246, so maybe he slimmed down for the combine). Alternatively OT Petit-Frere at 59 if I didn't get Penning at 22.

My recent effort had as the top 6 picks:
OT Trevor Penning, DT Devonte Wyatt (just for variety), Edge David Ojabo (injured at present), WR Christian Watson, WR Erik Ezukanma, TE Jelani Woods

Perhaps the greatest thing to take from doing a lot of mocks is you get a feel for which positions are going to run short early and which ones continue to offer up viable choices without reaching. For example 4 OTs could go in the top 10-15 picks, leaving maybe two more likely to go before the end of round 2 and I'm not even sure of one of those, Faalele, the other is Raimann. Given the endless need for good OTs Petit-Frere has a chance of being a round 2 guy - personally I'd swap his position (75) for Faalele (55) - I can't get behind a 283lb guy (or rather I can - but you know what I mean).

Counter-argument to illustrate your point, I've just got these five:

22 Edge Karlaftis, 28 WR Olave (sometimes 4 receivers go between picks 22 and 28, so I was lucky there), 53 OT Petit-Frere, 59 IDL DeMarvin Leal, 92 TE Jeremy Ruckert. That looks like a very nice haul to me.

Two first and two second round picks make for a lot of fun prior to draft day.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive