2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Cool 😎 I can't wait to watch him play, I hope he does well. Maybe they asked him to play bc they needed more QBs or something.

My guess is he graduated early as long as you do that you qualify for the Senior Bowl.Also I think he's the best fit for what Ron wants out of QBs in the draft so interested in how he does,but my gut is still thinking we make a big trade for a Vet to sell the new Name and get Ron a quicker shot at a Sperbowl which he feels is a roster near contending

28 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

My guess is he graduated early as long as you do that you qualify for the Senior Bowl.Also I think he's the best fit for what Ron wants out of QBs in the draft so interested in how he does,but my gut is still thinking we make a big trade for a Vet to sell the new Name and get Ron a quicker shot at a Sperbowl which he feels is a roster near contending

Ahh I bet that’s it. I bet he graduated already thanks to those UNC tutors! 😂 

I think we’ll try to trade for a vet but I don't think we’ll succeed in any of them agreeing to come here. My guess is we sign an average to above-average type vet and draft a QB to develop/compete with him, Heinickie & Kyle Allen.

I've seen Mocks of Pickett to us at 11 and Pittsburgh at 20 ! Pittsburg may have jump us to get him if they truly fall in love with him , or we could trade down to them but can't see us passing a viable Q B . 

I'm reading 5 first rd QBs now. Willis, Pickett, Howell,  Ridder ( late ) , Corral . We absolutely ( ??? ) will get one ! The NFL Draft - always the most exciting time of year !

Edited by RSkinGM

51 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I've seen Mocks of Pickett to us at 11 and Pittsburgh at 20 ! Pittsburg may have jump us to get him if they truly fall in love with him , or we could trade down to them but can't see us passing a viable Q B . 

I'm reading 5 first rd QBs now. Willis, Pickett, Howell,  Ridder ( late ) , Corral . We absolutely ( ??? ) will get one ! The NFL Draft - always the most exciting time of year !

Sadly for the last 30 years. 

59 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Pickett to Pitt would be a great situation for him. 

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Spoken like a true WFT fan! NFL Playoffs + Superbowl, and it does not even register with us that it could be exciting to watch our team compete for a championship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Pickett to Pitt would be a great situation for him. 

Maybe we can make them payup ! Kiper has us taking Willis at 11 and the first QB taken . Get real- after the combine he'll fly up the boards . We won't get him raw as he is .. Maybe Corral or Pickett . 

Edited by RSkinGM

21 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Maybe we can make them payup ! Kiper has us taking Willis at 11 and the first QB taken . Get real- after the combine he'll fly up the boards . We won't get him raw as he is .. Maybe Corral or Pickett . 

I have felt all throughout especially after last years draft that Willis was the guy they decided was their guy. I tend to want the higher ceiling player because if a player has room to develop and are already good it’s on the coaches. But we shall see. I personally don’t see 4.4 speed so if he runs above that who cares. But he is a weapon so I wouldn’t mind this staff hitching their butts to him because he can be special. But they have a ton of work to do if this is their guy. 

7 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Being an old guy, I guess I have a propensity to prefer the "traditional" QBs . 

Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Hurts .. None of them are playing this coming weekend .

I prefer a passer over the runner as well. We will see what they do. Corral and Pickett are very well rounded QB’s. But we still have college all star games and the combine which will separate the class.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I have felt all throughout especially after last years draft that Willis was the guy they decided was their guy. I tend to want the higher ceiling player because if a player has room to develop and are already good it’s on the coaches. But we shall see. I personally don’t see 4.4 speed so if he runs above that who cares. But he is a weapon so I wouldn’t mind this staff hitching their butts to him because he can be special. But they have a ton of work to do if this is their guy. 

I agree he will be their guy. If I remember reading something correctly. His uncle was drafted by Carolina and Hurney was one of those who drafted him. If true, this is a lock that it's Willis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Being an old guy, I guess I have a propensity to prefer the "traditional" QBs . 

Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Hurts .. None of them are playing this coming weekend .

The Ravens were 8-4, despite a rash of major injuries, when Lamar got hurt (for the first time in his career), so I think there’s a very fair chance he would still be playing if he was healthy. In fact, given that they lost 4 of their last 5 (the games without him) by 3 points or less, there’s a very fair chance that they would have had the AFC’s top seed and a bye. 

And Kyler didn’t run it that much this year. He ran significantly less than Josh Allen, who’s still playing, and only for about 40 more yards than Patrick Mahomes. 

Everyone needs a QB who can throw the ball. The passing game makes the NFL world go round. But for the young guys in particular, the athletic ability gives them some time to succeed as a young player while developing the mastery of the passing game over the course of many years. 

When you look at the guys left, if that’s how you want to define being successful currently, they seem to break down into 4 groups:

1. Legends. Brady and Rodgers are both probably among the 5 best QBs to ever play the game. If you can get one of them, get one. They’ve mastered the mental game and they just sit in the pocket and dissect opposing defenses. Hard to expect any young QB to do this, as they’ve had 15+ years to study the game. The big takeaway is that genius level IQs and Spartan-level work ethics are high on the list of desired traits. Brady is the greatest of one-offs, but Rodgers at one time was a big arm/good legs athlete, comparable to Mahomes at least as a runner. 

2. Big Arm / Good Legs Athletes: Speaking of, this is where I’d slot Mahomes and Allen. These are guys that came into the league with eye-popping physical traits and a ton of work to be done. Mahomes famously sat basically his entire rookie season; Allen did not, but he probably should have because he absolutely stunk as a rookie. They both grew tremendously, a credit to them and to their coaching staff. But the key with them is that their physical abilities (monster arm, mobility in the pocket, genuine running threat) provide them a multitude of ways to hurt defenses. This is where most of the best young QBs in the league (Herbert, Watson, Murray) would fit the mold, and it’s where a lot of the guys from the last draft (Fields, Wilson, Lance) also seem to fit. Willis is probably the only one in this draft that really fits this mold — he’s the only one with the artillery level arm like Mahomes or Allen or Herbert. I guess you could try to squint and say Corral or Howell, and if you’re just comparing them to Watson, maybe their arm is in that class. 

3. No Doubt #1 Picks: Neither Stafford nor Burrow really fits in the prior group, as Stafford never had the legs and Burrow doesn’t have the big arm. They were both considered no-brainers at the top of their respective draft boards, though, because of the golden arm that Stafford possesses and the insane production Burrow put up (fueled by his laser accuracy…and arguably the best surrounding offensive cast in college football history). These are the guys where the talent and the makeup were obvious enough that no one had any major questions, where both the ceiling and the floor were high enough to be undisputed top picks. Trevor Lawrence would fit into this category from last draft, and there is definitely no one in this class who fits the bill.

4. Game Managers: It’s an overused term, but how else do you describe Tannehill and Garoppolo? Jimmy G’s role is pretty much always to stay out of the way, make the easy throws Kyle schemes up for him, and don’t screw it up — and when Henry is there and clicking, that’s basically Tannehill’s gig too. These guys are better than “bad,” but worse than “good.” They can make some throws, they can move around a little bit and make some plays with their legs, they seem to understand how they fit within the scheme. But overall, their job is to play point guard and distribute the ball to the run game and the playmakers on the perimeter. This is clearly where Mac Jones fits (at least initially), and it’s probably the best fit for Pickett as well. I’d argue this is where Howell and Corral would fit also, but some may consider their arms good enough to be in category 2. The interesting thing about this category is that traditionally, there’s some upward mobility as you get older. Brady would have been here as a young player, as would guys like Brees, Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Prescott, etc. The key seems to be putting a good team around them so they can learn to be winners as they learn all the other technical stuff that goes along with tons of experience.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

The Ravens were 8-4, despite a rash of major injuries, when Lamar got hurt (for the first time in his career), so I think there’s a very fair chance he would still be playing if he was healthy. In fact, given that they lost 4 of their last 5 (the games without him) by 3 points or less, there’s a very fair chance that they would have had the AFC’s top seed and a bye. 

And Kyler didn’t run it that much this year. He ran significantly less than Josh Allen, who’s still playing, and only for about 40 more yards than Patrick Mahomes. 

Everyone needs a QB who can throw the ball. The passing game makes the NFL world go round. But for the young guys in particular, the athletic ability gives them some time to succeed as a young player while developing the mastery of the passing game over the course of many years. 

When you look at the guys left, if that’s how you want to define being successful currently, they seem to break down into 4 groups:

1. Legends. Brady and Rodgers are both probably among the 5 best QBs to ever play the game. If you can get one of them, get one. They’ve mastered the mental game and they just sit in the pocket and dissect opposing defenses. Hard to expect any young QB to do this, as they’ve had 15+ years to study the game. The big takeaway is that genius level IQs and Spartan-level work ethics are high on the list of desired traits. Brady is the greatest of one-offs, but Rodgers at one time was a big arm/good legs athlete, comparable to Mahomes at least as a runner. 

2. Big Arm / Good Legs Athletes: Speaking of, this is where I’d slot Mahomes and Allen. These are guys that came into the league with eye-popping physical traits and a ton of work to be done. Mahomes famously sat basically his entire rookie season; Allen did not, but he probably should have because he absolutely stunk as a rookie. They both grew tremendously, a credit to them and to their coaching staff. But the key with them is that their physical abilities (monster arm, mobility in the pocket, genuine running threat) provide them a multitude of ways to hurt defenses. This is where most of the best young QBs in the league (Herbert, Watson, Murray) would fit the mold, and it’s where a lot of the guys from the last draft (Fields, Wilson, Lance) also seem to fit. Willis is probably the only one in this draft that really fits this mold — he’s the only one with the artillery level arm like Mahomes or Allen or Herbert. I guess you could try to squint and say Corral or Howell, and if you’re just comparing them to Watson, maybe their arm is in that class. 

3. No Doubt #1 Picks: Neither Stafford nor Burrow really fits in the prior group, as Stafford never had the legs and Burrow doesn’t have the big arm. They were both considered no-brainers at the top of their respective draft boards, though, because of the golden arm that Stafford possesses and the insane production Burrow put up (fueled by his laser accuracy…and arguably the best surrounding offensive cast in college football history). These are the guys where the talent and the makeup were obvious enough that no one had any major questions, where both the ceiling and the floor were high enough to be undisputed top picks. Trevor Lawrence would fit into this category from last draft, and there is definitely no one in this class who fits the bill.

4. Game Managers: It’s an overused term, but how else do you describe Tannehill and Garoppolo? Jimmy G’s role is pretty much always to stay out of the way, make the easy throws Kyle schemes up for him, and don’t screw it up — and when Henry is there and clicking, that’s basically Tannehill’s gig too. These guys are better than “bad,” but worse than “good.” They can make some throws, they can move around a little bit and make some plays with their legs, they seem to understand how they fit within the scheme. But overall, their job is to play point guard and distribute the ball to the run game and the playmakers on the perimeter. This is clearly where Mac Jones fits (at least initially), and it’s probably the best fit for Pickett as well. I’d argue this is where Howell and Corral would fit also, but some may consider their arms good enough to be in category 2. The interesting thing about this category is that traditionally, there’s some upward mobility as you get older. Brady would have been here as a young player, as would guys like Brees, Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Prescott, etc. The key seems to be putting a good team around them so they can learn to be winners as they learn all the other technical stuff that goes along with tons of experience.

This is a very good post E. I think Willis is the guy this staff is going to fall in love with. As you mentioned Stafford and Cam fits in that second category Willis is the huge arm good legs athlete that I think this staff is clearly looking for because the premium they put on traits. This staff wants to coach players with Plus level ability and teach them fundamentals. Willis is the poster of this class for that job. I love this post and for all the greats mentioned of course there are ton of other names in each of those catagories that clearly don’t pan out. I think it’s Willis. I can see this staff even moving it through the process they felt another team wanted him.