Packers Sign Aaron Rodgers Replacement, Blake Bortles

Norm

30 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I see your point.  Burrow and Herbert came in without any real problems.

There's a slight difference......

One of them won the Heisman Trophy and the other threw for 3300yds and 32TDs as a Senior.

Not ripping on Love....I'm more than hopeful....but I'm holding off till I actually see him in some NFL games - preferably NOT regular season games at this stage.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

They arent throwing Love to the wolves in any case this year.   If Rodgers isn't here or gets traded Bortles takes over.  Love is just going to develop on the second team all year.  The vet Bortles will only get practice snaps if Rodgers isnt in GB or gets hurt.

Its all about developing Love on the second team all year and protect him from getting too much too soon.  Letting him marinade on the second team.

What I was thinking too.  Unless Love can beat out Bortles he won't be the starter.  He needs at least another year of seasoning.  At least as far as we know.  If Bortles isn't winning they will probably insert Love and get him some reps at that point to speed his development.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if Love is the starter on the opener.  Means he's developing faster than expected.  Of course this is all conjecture as we have no idea what the hell is going on with Benedict Aaron Judas Rodgers.  

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

With our current roster, which QB (other than AR) gives you opportunity to win now?

Sigh, I'm not sure. Feels depressing to think about because the answer that comes to mind is, does it matter? You can't win a SB with Bortles and this team I'm sure.. So why not just play the kid....

If AR is gone, I'm probably not counting wins this year, just gauging the future

1 hour ago, Norm said:

If AR is gone, I'm probably not counting wins this year, just gauging the future

AR's not going to be gone IMO. Over time .... as the "panic reporting" has subsided ... its becoming increasingly clear & public that he has no justifiable claims against the team. 

That same organization has built a considerable roster ... not a collection of losers and chumps ... and put together two straight excellent seasons.

I dont think AR wants to be recognized as ruining everything.

How it's resolved remains to be seen ... but I dont think the organization's gonna ditch Love on ARs account. In theory - ARs the present. Love's the future. How that gets worked out ... time will tell. 

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

AR's not going to be gone IMO. Over time .... as the "panic reporting" has subsided ... its becoming increasingly clear & public that he has no justifiable claims against the team. 

That same organization has built a considerable roster ... not a collection of losers and chumps ... and put together two straight excellent seasons.

How it's resolved remains to be seen ... but I dont think the organization's gonna ditch Love on ARs account. In theory - ARs the present. Love's the future. How that gets worked out ... time will tell. 

I think you are seeing what you want to see. Both have the same agent and his vision is for both his QB's to be the present and future in different places for different teams. That is how he maximizes his deal. 

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's him not coming out to say a single word that makes me wonder more than any of the rumors

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

It's him not coming out to say a single word that makes me wonder more than any of the rumors

What can he say?
They cut the roster hanger-on that I liked?
They fired the QB coach I liked and didnt ask me?
They didnt call to tell me they were going to draft Love?
They only use double ply toilet paper in the locker room?

Crimes of the century all.......give me a break.

He wants some guarantees about his future. I can understand that. I just dont think the team's gonna extend those guarantees - plus - exterminate Love's future with the team in that agreement.

The teams been arranging things with his leadership in place. Based on the contract extension he signed. They've not been dismantling the team - selling it off so they could start over. They're trying to bridge this cap crunch - caused in large part by the COVID revenue crunch (which was outside their control) and ARs escalating contract cost.

And what? AR wants more money? 

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

What can he say?
They cut the roster hanger-on that I liked?
They fired the QB coach I liked and didnt ask me?
They didnt call to tell me they were going to draft Love?
They only use double ply toilet paper in the locker room?

Crimes of the century all.......give me a break.

He wants some guarantees about his future. I can understand that. I just dont think the team's gonna extend those guarantees - plus - exterminate Love's future with the team in that agreement.

The teams been arranging things with his leadership in place. Based on the contract extension he signed. They've not been dismantling the team - selling it off so they could start over. They're trying to bridge this cap crunch - caused in large part by the COVID revenue crunch (which was outside their control) and ARs escalating contract cost.

And what? AR wants more money? 

He doesn't have to say anything in detail. He could be semi cryptic and say something like the rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated through social media or something. And leave it at that, at least it's something. But just dead silence makes my mind wander a bit I guess. 

45 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

If Rodgers is gone, Love is starting week 1.  Market down.

I doubt it.  They aren't going to rush Love, its why they got Bortles.

As Phil Collins would say.

"You cant hurry Love, no you'll just have to wait"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

They got Bortles so they didn’t have one QB in camp and he already knows Hackett.

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

They got Bortles to be a 3rd arm in camp.  If Rodgers stays, Bortles gets cut. If Rodgers is traded, Bortles is backing up Love. Against all odds!

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

What's the benefit from starting Bortles? He's not going to take us to the playoffs, he's not going to show anything better than what Rodgers showed last year to Love sitting behind him during an MVP year. Gotta let him take the lumps early so he can correct them quicker. You're just delaying his progression for no reason. Unless the guy absolutely doesn't know what he's doing or cant hit a WR in stride to save his life, you start him and see what he's got.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

3 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

What's the benefit from starting Bortles? He's not going to take us to the playoffs, he's not going to show anything better than what Rodgers showed last year to Love sitting behind him during an MVP year. Gotta let him take the lumps early so he can correct them quicker. You're just delaying his progression for no reason. Unless the guy absolutely doesn't know what he's doing or cant hit a WR in stride to save his life, you start him and see what he's got.

Disagree, if he's not ready yet, he doesn't start.  There's a lot a stake here for Gute.  If Love fails by being thrown out there early, Gute fails.  Love had no live snaps last year.  If your job depended on Loves success, what would you do??  

I'm easing this kid in his development, spoonfeeding him the offense.  If I can stay competitive in the division with Bortles for a year and probably win it, its an easy decision.

• Like 1