What are some of the best football quotes in NFL history?

TecmoSuperJoe

"There's a personal foul, on number 99 of the defense — after he tackled the quarterback, he's givin' him the business down there, that's a 15-yard penalty."

I'd like a cool gif here but apparently I'm old now and can no longer internet properly.

• Like 4

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall to get there. - Vince Lombardi

Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing. - Peyton Manning

You don't want to be Eric Dickerson. If you are Eric Dickerson, Lawrence Taylor gets to hit you. - Eric Dickerson

Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings. - George Will

An atheist is a man who watches a Notre Dame - Southern Methodist University game and doesn't care who wins. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don’t like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious that that. - Bill Shankly

No one ever drowned in sweat - Lou Holz

I may win and I may lose, but I will never be defeated. - Emmitt Smith

Make sure when anyone tackles you he remembers how much it hurts. - Jim Brown

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. - Vince Lombardi

Tomorrow is promised to no one. - Walter Payton

You can learn a line from a win and a book from defeat. -Paul Brown

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi

Work isn’t work unless you would rather be doing something else. - Don Shula

Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it. - George Halas

• Like 2

Wrong sport, it a few gems from soccer managers down the years. Sorry for the messy formatting! 

- Iain Holloway on Cristiano Ronaldo:“He’s six foot something, fit as a flea, good looking – he’s got to have something wrong with him. Hopefully he’s hung like a hamster – That would make us all feel better. Having said that, me missus has got a pet hamster at home, and his ****’s massive.” 

- Iain Holloway on winning ugly: “To put it in gentleman’s terms if you’ve been out for a night and you’re looking for a young lady and you pull one, some weeks they’re good looking and some weeks they’re not the best. Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi. She weren’t the best looking lady we ended up taking home but she was very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much, let’s have a coffee” 

- Gordon strachan

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"

Strachan: "Velocity" (walks off).

Reporter: "Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?"

Strachan: "No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said: 'No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless.'"

Reporter: "Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?"

Strachan: "No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah."

Strachan on a teenage player of his getting called up for the England national team: *It's an incredible rise to stardom. At 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than England manager Sven Goran Eriksson.*

• Like 1

I don’t know if Joe Namath said it first but he said “Life is a team game” and I’m not a big quote guy when it comes to motivation but that one rings true to me.

After  32 years of life on this planet I’ve realized almost nobody gets to where they are in life without the help of others at one point or another 

"Sports today is deals, always deals. Tax abatements, luxury boxes, a bigger slice of the concessions pie, land... deny [an owner] these goodies and he'll skip town.
Is it good business? Sure, but let's not forget that these are the same men who often shroud themselves in the public interest, seeking antitrust immunity in Congress and in the courts when it suits their purposes. And yet they are just as quick to raise the protective umbrella of free enterprise when a sweeter deal awaits them down the road."
-Howard Cosell

• Like 1