Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

Patrick Taylor back at practice off of the PUP. There will be a lot of decisions to be made about position numbers.  I can’t see them keeping 4 RBs but I feel like you have to have 3 even if Randall and Amari can give you some carries. Indeed, the competition will be fierce which is a good thing but we will have to let some guys go who might have helped us this year or down the road. 

5 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Patrick Taylor back at practice off of the PUP. There will be a lot of decisions to be made about position numbers.  I can’t see them keeping 4 RBs but I feel like you have to have 3 even if Randall and Amari can give you some carries. Indeed, the competition will be fierce which is a good thing but we will have to let some guys go who might have helped us this year or down the road. 

So who's number 3? I've got Hill as that guy.

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I actually see us keeping 4. 

1 minute ago, Joe said:

So who's number 3? I've got Hill as that guy.

I think they try and stash one if they decide to go with 3 but think we'll keep 4 tbh. Assuming everyone comes out of camp healthy I think Taylor will be the third guy. Reality will be whichever one is competent in blitz protections. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think they try and stash one if they decide to go with 3 but think we'll keep 4 tbh. Assuming everyone comes out of camp healthy I think Taylor will be the third guy. Reality will be whichever one is competent in blitz protections. 

The preseason will be huge in determining that one.  Even Dexter Williams is said to be having a good start but we’ll see when the pads go on. Definitely will be a chance for the RBs to fight for the 3rd, and as you believe 4th spot, because  our top dogs won’t be running much.  Seeing who can run it and catch will be important but figuring out who can pass protect will go a long way to stay on the 53. With the log jam at all the “skill” positions on offense and even on the line, some WR, RB, TE will have to get cut.  Keeping 4 RBs means we are very light at those other positions and I think we’ll use our WRs to fill in for the 4th RB. Time will tell and it should be fun to watch the competition.

27 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

WRs group (after cutdown). Adams, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, MVS.

I don't think they keep a 6th WR and here's why.

LaFleur likes the TE and H back position.
He likes a solid and varied run game, so he likes RBs.
He has a lot of o linemen fighting for a position on this team, so they are a candidate for an extra player.

What that says to me is no 6th WR (who would/should see most action on ST). Candidates for ST players probably don't include ESB and Funchess, who might otherwise be 6th WR choices. Other players like Winfree (who looked good early on in camp) seem likely to find a spot on the practice squad. Other than him, Malik Taylor was the most used WR on special teams last year, so if the Packers DID go 6 on WR, Malik could be the best fit - he had 181 ST snaps in 2020 (the next most was Shepherd at 45 and ESB at 41 - MVS had 0).

This ties into the point made by @pgwingman   If you can get something for ESB or Funchess, take it.

I don't fully agree with this.  I think the default assumption is that there will be 6 WR, including Funchess.  I'd argue that EQ can play ST.  I'd argue that we don't need a lot of OL.  You could literally go with 7 (starting 5, plus Kelly and Newman).  That's hyperbole, of course, and in reality they'll probably go with 8 or 9, keeping one or two from the best of the rest (Braden?  plus somebody else?).  But of our depth guys (even including Newman), are there really ANY that wouldn't likely make it to the PS?  

With Rodgers contract situation, and with Adams, Cobb, MVS, and Funchess all expiring, I'd argue that roster tie-breaks should go to younger WR.  Gute and MLF will still want to field a team next year, so if an EQ-type shows up well in camp, and is on the bubble, I might prefer to keep him because having a guy who knows the system next year would be helpful.  

I kinda feel the same about RB as OL.  Sure, they'll end up keeping 3.  But literally if you kept only 2, and parked all three of Hill, Taylor, and Dexter on the PS, would anybody be poaching any of those guys?  Sure, keep the one you like best.  But it's not like exposing Taylor to the PS is some huge risk. 

Every camp, I worry about roster spots at the beginning.  But injuries always create holes for any guys who look excellent and that Gute would hate to lose.  Once the injuries roll through, I doubt the 54th man is going to be a hot poaching-victim.  And I'm guessing the 64th man who can't make the PS is likely to be some grievous loss.  

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I have that suspicion as well. We know that Hill can kick out to WR as Cobb can kick in to RB. Not so sure Amari Rodgers gets snaps at RB, but who knows. We may be looking at a situation where we're keeping 5 WR's and 4 RB's, but we're really keeping 4 WR's, 3 RB's, and 2 Swerves...

• Like 1

Was at TC today. Some notes:

- Amari spent some time with RBs, taking some handoffs. 

- Myers is built like a bulldozer. Dude is just WIDE. 

- A lot of competition at WR. Funchess had a good day. So did MVS who beat Stokes over the middle on a crosser that would habe gone big. 

- Tonyan had a crazy one-handed grab on a late Love throw. Guy has hands. 

- Stokes had a pretty good day covering 17. Stuck to him on a few back shoulders. Covered MVS well on a deep go in team.

- Love was up and down. Couple of wow throws while being inaccurate on several easier throws. 

- Two fumbled exchanges between Love and Hanson. Sounded like Hanson got the blame from the staff. 

- Of the PUP guys, Keke was running full sprints on the sidelines while Dafney and Deguara were both running routes/sprints. Seems like all 3 might be close. 

Tomorrow is a padded practice so should be more action for the OL/DL. 

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

....- Of the PUP guys, Keke was running full sprints on the sidelines while Dafney and Deguara were both running routes/sprints. Seems like all 3 might be close....

Thanks, that's great to hear.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Was at TC today. Some notes:

- Of the PUP guys, Keke was running full sprints on the sidelines while Dafney and Deguara were both running routes/sprints. Seems like all 3 might be close. 

Thanks for this, I don't know why the beat guys can't ever seem to give us updates on these guys.  I think Deguara and Keke are some important 2nd tier players for us and really hoping they get back by mid-pre-season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Thanks for this, I don't know why the beat guys can't ever seem to give us updates on these guys.  I think Deguara and Keke are some important 2nd tier players for us and really hoping they get back by mid-pre-season.

They feel so much worse than they used to be. It's like they just want the TMZ stuff when before it felt like you had just endless details of stuff. Are they not supposed to give out much detail or something now

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Norm said:

They feel so much worse than they used to be. It's like they just want the TMZ stuff when before it felt like you had just endless details of stuff. Are they not supposed to give out much detail or something now

There is no click bait involved in just news. Truly sad! 

Edited by Old Guy

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

There is no click bait involved in just news. Truly sad! 

I feel like them throwing a bunch of updates on their twitter would get them plenty of new followers too. IDK why they wouldn't want to. I used to follow a million dudes because of that, only reason I ever used twitter.. Now I don't see many guys updating a bunch of times but maybe I'm just missing it

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tweets aren't click bait. Just rapid fire observations.
However, Nagler will post a long list of observations on CHTV after a while.

They can be a bit hot take-y so that they get spread around though for sure