Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

So Watson is 4th string on the Texans depth chart for now. And I heard he took reps at safety? Is this a PR/revenge stunt by the Texans to make Watson work his way back into their good graces??? If he's 4th string, will he not then be getting the majority of reps in practice? Unless they're really working on a trade, should they not then be preparing him as best as possible to be the opening day starter since clearly he gives them the best chance to win? 

This is what a rational person/organization would think, yes.

The Houston Texans football franchise is not rational.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

So Watson is 4th string on the Texans depth chart for now. And I heard he took reps at safety? Is this a PR/revenge stunt by the Texans to make Watson work his way back into their good graces??? If he's 4th string, will he not then be getting the majority of reps in practice? Unless they're really working on a trade, should they not then be preparing him as best as possible to be the opening day starter since clearly he gives them the best chance to win? 

Dude went from tears of joy over his new contract to demanding a trade out of Houston amid claims of serial off field transgressions in a matter of like 4 months.

If I'm the Texans, the only reason I'm having him show up at all is in the off-chance some schmuk GM trades for him ASAP. I'll say all the right things, but I'm not giving him squat in the way of a platform. That relationship is broken. 

Conversely, if I'm Watson, I'm only showing up for PR and to avoid fines. I'll play 5th string long snapper in practice if they want. I'm not there to win. I'm there to avoid getting fined $50k a day and in hopes someone trades for me and helps me.get out of Houston. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Dude went from tears of joy over his new contract to demanding a trade out of Houston amid claims of serial off field transgressions in a matter of like 4 months.

If I'm the Texans, the only reason I'm having him show up at all is in the off-chance some schmuk GM trades for him ASAP. I'll say all the right things, but I'm not giving him squat in the way of a platform. That relationship is broken. 

Conversely, if I'm Watson, I'm only showing up for PR and to avoid fines. I'll play 5th string long snapper in practice if they want. I'm not there to win. I'm there to avoid getting fined $50k a day and in hopes someone trades for me and helps me.get out of Houston. 

By not playing Watson not only are they wasting a massive amount of their salary cap they are actively hurting their chances of trading him. Like it or not, the key to getting him out of Houston is to display to the whole world he is still a top QB even with all this stuff going on. The weird thing is, it seems like Houston isn't willing to just dump him. If they are so against giving him a platform, why wouldn't they just dump him to any team that would give them anything decent for him(one team would take the risk, no doubt).

I think if Watson doesn't play it is because he is communicating to the coaches and front office that he basically won't. He is showing up to avoid fines, but if they try to play him he will either not try or throw the towel in(another Harden situation in Houston). The organizations actions simply don't make sense any other way. That said it is the Texans so...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The organizations actions simply don't make sense any other way. That said it is the Texans so...

I just assume they have "ulterior motives". Jack Easterby inspired and driven "ulterior motives".

They will probably as petty as they possibly can before bungling a trade.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kael said:

I just assume they have "ulterior motives". Jack Easterby inspired and driven "ulterior motives".

They will probably as petty as they possibly can before bungling a trade.

I'm honestly believing that Cal thinks he can salvage the relationship. The organization has offered their own lawyers to meditate between Buzbee/Harden before, per SI. 

My gut tells me there's a "wink and nod" contract restructure on the table that would include converting salary to a signing bonus that would cover legal expenses - including settlement money. Texans would free up some cap, but push contract/cap to future years to get Watson back on their side, Watson would have cash on hand to clear up his civil suits. 

My gut also tells me that Watson is considering it.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:24 AM, .Buzz said:

If Watson wasn’t a top 5 QB / one of the “faces of the NFL” he would’ve been a long time ago. No doubt in my mind.

Pretty awful look.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/08/13/the-problems-with-deshaun-watson-nfl-investigation

This whole scenario here is making my thoughts of not following football as much as I used to an easier decision...

22 hours ago, PFM18 said:

It just feels like the NFL doesn't want to confront it or address it until they really have to.

i've always gotten the impression that Goodell cherishes the opportunity to suspend players for conduct detrimental. I suspect he's just itching to do it - but is letting the case unfold more. It's really in its very, very early stages. As soon as something more definitive takes place I bet we see him on the exempt list.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

By not playing Watson not only are they wasting a massive amount of their salary cap they are actively hurting their chances of trading him. Like it or not, the key to getting him out of Houston is to display to the whole world he is still a top QB even with all this stuff going on. The weird thing is, it seems like Houston isn't willing to just dump him. If they are so against giving him a platform, why wouldn't they just dump him to any team that would give them anything decent for him(one team would take the risk, no doubt).

I think if Watson doesn't play it is because he is communicating to the coaches and front office that he basically won't. He is showing up to avoid fines, but if they try to play him he will either not try or throw the towel in(another Harden situation in Houston). The organizations actions simply don't make sense any other way. That said it is the Texans so...

This is the key part. 

I don't think anyone is willing to trade for him until the other stuff is handled. 

Houston has two reasonable and, frankly, rational choices:

1. Hold onto him until he's put on the exempt list and they can grievance their way out of his contract (which few teams are going to be willing to take on with what is going on off the field right now anyway). 

2. Hold onto him and suck it up until he's tradable and attempt to recoup a small fortune. 

Holding onto him makes sense in the long run either way you look at it. You can't get his worth in a trade right now. Not a snowball's chance in hell. If you outright cut the guy, you're not getting anything in the event he's cleared and can play this year. If his off-field stuff becomes a legitimate barrier, you actually stand a chance at recouping some money. 

20 minutes ago, pwny said:

How can these offenses relate to trafficking specifically? Never heard of something like that being applied in these situations. I do think they would potentially have a good case for prostitution tho with any evidence and this is something I never considered. Watson might be in big, big trouble if they feel confident in pushing that charge rather than a sexual abuse crime for example. 

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan