Ravens trade CB Shaun Wade to Patriots (22' 7th and 23' 5th)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Anyone remember a situation like this? Meaning, a team trading a draft pick for a draft pick before they play a down for their team?

Raiders took the qb/rb/wr from Memphis last year in the I think third and flipped him to the Dolphins before the season. That was even without in person lol

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RayLew52 said:

How do you figure that? The Ravens were going to cut him but found a trade partner. Patriots are super thin at corner and the Ravens are absurdly deep.

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

I take back what I said that’s a fair return for the Ravens.

I corrected myself when I got more information on the trade

Edited by Blackstar12

33 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Mills hasn't tended to fare well as a pure CB. He's more of a hybrid guy for subpackages. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Iggles fans.) Beyond the top two, there are a lot of question marks. Plus, Wade has a lot of versatility. He could play slot CB or safety.

Then put Jonathan Jones out as the other starting CB opposite JC Jackson and Mills can play slot.  Either way I feel Mills is a very good player and no way Wade takes his place in the lineup.  I also think Bryant has a ton of upside and potential as does Williams and even Michael Jackson but Jackson is most likely going to be cut.  But yeah they must have made the move because Gimore will be out awhile.  

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They are.

True but put that up against the Patriots DB group and the Patriots are just as good if not better especially when Gilmore is healthy.  When talking just the safety group, Adrian Phillips, Kyle Dugger, Devin McCourty etc are a better group than Clark, Elliott and potentially Stone or Washington.  Sure Stone and Washington have upside but those starters are nothing great or have yet to show they are.

The Ravens starting group of Humphrey and Peters is hard to beat then combo that with Jimmy Smith but Gilmore and JC Jackson are just as good combo that will Mills or Jones.  Young is kind of a wild card, same with Averett, if Averett can continue to improve that will help a lot.  They are lucky they signed Justin Houston because that OLB pass rush could be pretty rough unless Oweh is amazing, they are missing a lot of talent on the edge I feel.  

Heres one thing I know, you cant have too many corners. Especially when Jimmy Smith is retiring soon. The Ravens couldnt have hung onto Wade and let him be the CB5 this year until next year?

Doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but good for the Browns.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Heres one thing I know, you cant have too many corners. Especially when Jimmy Smith is retiring. The Ravens couldnt have hung onto Wade and let him be the CB4-CB5 this year until next year?

Doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

With S/CB Brandon Stephens, CB Chris Westry, S/CB Ar’Darius Washington, and S Nigel Warrior all impressing moreso than Wade in camp and preseason so far, not really, no. Just from a numbers perspective, that wasn’t really an option, unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

With S/CB Brandon Stephens, CB Chris Westry, S/CB Ar’Darius Washington, and S Nigel Warrior all impressing moreso than Wade in camp and preseason so far, not really, no. Just from a numbers perspective, that wasn’t really an option, unfortunately. 

I mean from everything ive seen Wade has been lights out in preseason allowing a 0.0 passer rating when targeted so Im not sure how those other guys are all playing better than he is but hey, if they think its the right move then so be it.

It is odd the Patriots and Ravens have possibly the best two defensive backfields in the NFL, curious why that trade was not done to a team in more of a need.  Still say Patriots when all healthy probably have the best DB group in the NFL considering all positions.  

Still overall Broncos are an up and coming secondary, have a crazy amount of depth and all of those guys will most likely not make the team so guys like Dawson, Bassey, Vincent Jr or Jamar Johnson could be cut and picked up no doubt.  For starters in Surtain does well the lineup of Fuller/Surtain/Darby in the slot or Callahan then Jackson and Simmons at safety is pretty damn solid.

CB Kyle Fuller / Pat Surtain II / Michael Ojemudia / Essang Bassey O

CB Ronald Darby / Bryce Callahan /Duke Dawson Jr.

SS Kareem Jackson / Caden Stern / Kary Vincent Jr.

FS Justin Simmons / Trey Marshall Q / Jamar Johnson

Buccaneers have a very underrated secondary that is wildly underpaid.  Jamel Dean was huge for them in the Playoffs, same with Murphy-Bunting.  Winfield is a super star safety and Mike Edwards provided much needed depth when he needed to last year.  Overall their starting 4/5 DBs are solid and again underrated.  Helps having that pass rush though of course getting pressure consistently.

CB Carlton Davis / Ross Cockrell

CB Sean Murphy-Bunting / Jamel Dean / Dee Delaney

SS Antoine Winfield JR / Mike Edwards

SS Jordan Whitehead / Javon Hagan

Vikings are another group no one is really talking about but they are very deep, especially with the veteran additions of Peterson, Alexander and Breeland all who could pretty much start.  And all of this is with Gladney being cut because of off the field stuff, but most likely that is why they brought in Breeland to fill that void.  If Woods is decent at safety clearly Harrison Smith is one of the best in the NFL.  Overall though if Peterson plays at an elite level they could be very good as well.

CB Patrick Peterson / Kris Boyd / Harrison Hand

CB Bashaud Breeland / Mac Alexander / Cameron Dantzler

SS Harrison Smith / Myles Dorn

FS Xavier Woods / Camryn Bynum

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean from everything ive seen Wade has been lights out in preseason allowing a 0.0 passer rating when targeted so Im not sure how those other guys are all playing better than he is but hey, if they think its the right move then so be it.

Wade was entering the game much deeper into the 2nd half than the aforementioned guys, he’d played almost exclusively the latter parts of the 4th quarters so far. It seems the coaches trusted those other guys I mentioned more when it came to playing against 2nd/3rd stringers. 

I’m also not sure how many targets Wade has even seen. Id imagine it’s been less than 6-7 so that 0.0 could be due to an incredibly small sample size. I’d have to go back and see

EDIT: Yeah, Wade played 9 snaps last game. Westry played 26 and Warrior 29. Wade had clearly fallen in the pecking order. 

Edited by Ray Reed

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

It is odd the Patriots and Ravens have possibly the best two defensive backfields in the NFL, curious why that trade was not done to a team in more of a need.  Still say Patriots when all healthy probably have the best DB group in the NFL considering all positions.  

@RayLew52 super thin at secondary ? Our two teams probably the most stacked in secondary 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@RayLew52 super thin at secondary ? Our two teams probably the most stacked in secondary 

Super thin at the moment not when everyone is healthy. I'm not saying the players are bad I'm just saying they were shorthanded enough to pull off a depth corner trade right before the season. The Ravens were going to cut Wade

7 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

I think that's probably it. Akers going down really put a crimp in their plans.

Strangely enough, the Browns were supposedly high on both Penny and Michel, but when they both got taken in the 1st round, they had to settle for Chubb in the 2nd...

LHFDJGUAX57LYAYWOV7NJYQ4HI.jpg

Hue would have just coached up either back like he did Chubb and the rest would be history.

I get that the Ravens are deep at CB, but trading him to the pats is like saying that they don't think he will ever be that good.  I mean, both teams look like they are on a playoff tract, and I can't see the ravens front office willing to help the Pats out for a 5th and 7th rounder.  There are only four teams I couldn't see the ravens trading him to... Browns, Steelers, Pats or Bengals.  Surely another team was interested at that price, right?