Ravens trade CB Shaun Wade to Patriots (22' 7th and 23' 5th)

RaidersAreOne

Curious why the Patriots did this, what because Gilmore is out at CB?  Because these are the guys they have now and would not be easy making the roster with this type of competition.

Stephon Gilmore
J.C. Jackson
Jalen Mills
Jonathan Jones
Myles Bryant
Joejuan Williams
Michael Jackson Sr
Justin Bethel

Sure Jackson and Bethel are probably cut but really doubt they would cut any of the other 6, so they want 7 CBs on the roster then?  A curious move especially to trade two draft picks for him and he has yet to play a down in a NFL regular season game.  I guess what Gilmore will start out the season on IR and Wade takes his place but they clearly would start JC Jackson and Mills then have Jones in the slot and Bryant/Williams as backups.  Then once Gilmore comes back then what, maybe they are not totally sold on Williams or Bryant yet.  

59 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Meyers is probably still considered by our coaching staff as #1 WR

Considering the target-share he saw in the 2nd half of last season (and that with, IMO, Bad Cam throwing him the ball), I'd imagine so.  Considering the roles we've seen receivers take on consistently in the McDaniels scheme, bringing in Nelson Agholor or adding two TE's in a mold (not drawing direct comparisons here before anyone jumps on me but they are aesthetically and athletically similar types) of Gronk and Hernandez in order to run more 12 personnel packages doesn't preclude or diminish Meyers' role or value to the team.  He remains the underneath guy while Agholor is used as more the over-the-top guy.

14 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Considering the target-share he saw in the 2nd half of last season (and that with, IMO, Bad Cam throwing him the ball), I'd imagine so.  Considering the roles we've seen receivers take on consistently in the McDaniels scheme, bringing in Nelson Agholor or adding two TE's in a mold (not drawing direct comparisons here before anyone jumps on me but they are aesthetically and athletically similar types) of Gronk and Hernandez in order to run more 12 personnel packages doesn't preclude or diminish Meyers' role or value to the team.  He remains the underneath guy while Agholor is used as more the over-the-top guy.

I think a lot of people thought Bourne would make Meyers redundant but it didnt happen 

36 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Curious why the Patriots did this, what because Gilmore is out at CB?  Because these are the guys they have now and would not be easy making the roster with this type of competition.

Stephon Gilmore
J.C. Jackson
Jalen Mills
Jonathan Jones
Myles Bryant
Joejuan Williams
Michael Jackson Sr
Justin Bethel

Sure Jackson and Bethel are probably cut but really doubt they would cut any of the other 6, so they want 7 CBs on the roster then?  A curious move especially to trade two draft picks for him and he has yet to play a down in a NFL regular season game.  I guess what Gilmore will start out the season on IR and Wade takes his place but they clearly would start JC Jackson and Mills then have Jones in the slot and Bryant/Williams as backups.  Then once Gilmore comes back then what, maybe they are not totally sold on Williams or Bryant yet.  

Mills hasn't tended to fare well as a pure CB. He's more of a hybrid guy for subpackages. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Iggles fans.) Beyond the top two, there are a lot of question marks. Plus, Wade has a lot of versatility. He could play slot CB or safety.

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Mills hasn't tended to fare well as a pure CB. He's more of a hybrid guy for subpackages. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Iggles fans.) Beyond the top two, there are a lot of question marks. Plus, Wade has a lot of versatility. He could play slot CB or safety.

Yes, if they are expecting the Green Gobbling to fill a Starters roll, GL. For every decent play , he'll have 3-4 atrocious big plays given up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He struggled everywhere, but didn't get time to settle in a safety until our abysmal CB depth forced him back outside. His skill set is much better suited as a safety. You really do not want to put him on an island outside like Jim Schwartz did regularly, he needs a safety over the top or he is going to get burned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

lmao we drafted Shaun Wade in the 5th and immediately get a 5th rounder back for him. He should excel in the slot, we just don't have enough roster space to keep him right now.

However, I'm sure once Tavon Young goes on IR by week 3 and Jimmy Smith returns and gets injured again we'll be wondering why we traded this guy away before he ever played an NFL snap.

Who would you prefer they cut in order to make room for him? Wade was strictly a slot option and even if Tavon went down Humphrey would kick into the slot and the likes of Westry, Averette or Jimmy Smith would fill the outside role. It's strictly a numbers game here, they were most likely going to cut Wade instead they got a couple of picks. Decosta knows what he's doing, try and trust the process a little..

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Teams continue helping Belichick and the Patriots. Patriots won this trade.

How do you figure that? The Ravens were going to cut him but found a trade partner. Patriots are super thin at corner and the Ravens are absurdly deep.