Cam Newton Released

SBLIII

47 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Shula won three championships without Marino. :)

He actually won 2 and it was with another HOF QB. He failed to win a single title with Unitas and Marino who are two of the greatest QB's ever in history. When he did win titles in was in the pre free agency/salary cap era and he had a super team and he won back to back and then never won again. That was in an era where other super teams were becoming dynasties and winning 4 and 5 titles like the Packers and Steelers. Bill has 6 titles and one was when Brady was a first year starter and his defense gave the legendary GSOT their worst game in history, another was when his defense held a team to the lowest score in SB history, and in pretty much every other SB he had totally complete teams beyond Brady being a stud. 

Bill was light years beyond Shula. He did more in a harder era. Peyton Manning is a top 3 QB of all time and only got 1 SB throughout his entire prime years before falling apart and getting a nice sendoff from an all time defense. Rodgers and Brees each only have 1 and only went to 1. Having a legendary QB in this league isn't a free pass to titles in this era.

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yup. Those guys are at best stop gaps. AT BEST. They are there out of neccessity.

Also take the past away and look at what Cam has done lately. Cam Newton last year had 2657, 8TD's, 10INT's, and a passer rating of 82.9. Even if you combine his rushing totals he still gets to a total of barely over 300 yards and 20 TD's with 11 turnovers. That's not the contributions a starter should be making. Cam is also 32 and constantly banged up. He isn't going to go back to being Super Cam from the middle of last decade.

In reality, Cam only had one year Id label him as "Super Cam", and that was his MVP year, where he looked like an actual good passer.   Even when he was a decent starter, he was a liability in the passing game.   Certain people love to make excuses for him because he had a strong arm and made sime crazy throws, but in reality, was never much more than an average at best PASSER.   Now, his passing abilities have regressed to that of a below average passer, and once he loses a step, his career is over.    His running ability and recognizable name are his only real saving graces right now.

And no, I dont hate Cam.   Ive never hated Cam.   I just never thought he was as good as some made him out to be (outside of 1 year), and I think with how he has regressed, a team would have to be pretty desperate to want him as a starter.

His best bet is probably Houston to compete with the aforementioned Tyrod Taylor.   No way Rivera brings him to Washington unless Snyder makes him.

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

He actually won 2 and it was with another HOF QB. He failed to win a single title with Unitas and Marino who are two of the greatest QB's ever in history. When he did win titles in was in the pre free agency/salary cap era and he had a super team and he won back to back and then never won again. That was in an era where other super teams were becoming dynasties and winning 4 and 5 titles like the Packers and Steelers. Bill has 6 titles and one was when Brady was a first year starter and his defense gave the legendary GSOT their worst game in history, another was when his defense held a team to the lowest score in SB history, and in pretty much every other SB he had totally complete teams beyond Brady being a stud. 

Bill was light years beyond Shula. He did more in a harder era. Peyton Manning is a top 3 QB of all time and only got 1 SB throughout his entire prime years before falling apart and getting a nice sendoff from an all time defense. Rodgers and Brees each only have 1 and only went to 1. Having a legendary QB in this league isn't a free pass to titles in this era.

He won two Super Bowls, but still won the NFL championship which was before the NFL merger. If you want to ignore that, that's fine, but he still won twice anyway regardless. You can prop up any coach or downgrade any coach based on whether the quality of how they won fits into your personal wheelhouse or not. I don't care about comparing him to Belichick or anyone else. That wasn't the point of my response. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Bill won 2 without Brady. You should check out the 3 playoff games vs Montana. 

I doubt you would question his competence.

Bill wasn't a head coach on the Giants unless you meant Parcells. I'm not questioning Bill B's competence. My reply was to correct a factual error regarding Shula not winning anything. That wasn't true. 

And if you're gonna count Bill Belichick's time on the Giants against the 49ers when he wasn't even head coach, he lost to Montana in 1981 and 1984 in the playoffs. He was linebackers/special teams coach. But again, that's nether here or there since I wasn't critiquing Bill's legacy. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

Ya but he got his ask kicked by Joe Willie with Shula  coaching a stacked team. Total humiliation!!!😊

I attended that game as a kid. I expected the Jets to win. It was an immensely talented team playing with a tremendous degree of confidence. Just a few weeks earlier my dad took me to the Dolphins season finale in the Orange Bowl. The Jets crushed Miami something like 31-7. So it wasn't exactly a surprise watching them methodically take apart Baltimore in the same stadium less than a month later. 

It simply was a bad pointspread in that game, one that was based on Green Bay's dominance of the first two Super Bowls and the perceived gap between the leagues. It certainly was not an accurate representation of the Colts' strength vs Jets strength. If those two teams had played repeatedly it would have been a very tight series. The Jets had playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball. Those playmakers like Randy Beverly and Johnny Sample saved the day countless times. I can still envision all the key plays. Jimmy Orr was wide open on the flea flicker just before halftime and running smack toward us, waving his hand for the ball. Everyone gasped. Then somehow Morrall didn't look in that direction, even though Orr was supposed to be the primary target. It was like my head was on a swivel when Morrall instead looked right and forced the ball over the deep middle, where Beverly cut in front and intercepted. That remains the single most astonishing play I have ever seen in person, especially in relation to how it impacted that result and therefore league history.

Strength of schedule is a device for simpletons. And I am being very kind with that summary. It is more than amusing to read younger fans try to interpret games and seasons and style of play from well before their time, using comical rationalization like strength of schedule. At least it is high comedy, here and elsewhere. 

Anyway, Cam Newton should be out of the league. As I've emphasized countless times, he offers that high elbow chicken wing delivery. Consequently it's going to be one mindless forced line drive after another. His mechanics no longer enable touch.

The bizarre aspect is that Belichick didn't recognize this from the outset. Of all the quarterbacks to choose from last year he brings in a chicken wing devotee?

22 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Anyway, Cam Newton should be out of the league. As I've emphasized countless times, he offers that high elbow chicken wing delivery. Consequently it's going to be one mindless forced line drive after another. His mechanics no longer enable touch.

The bizarre aspect is that Belichick didn't recognize this from the outset. Of all the quarterbacks to choose from last year he brings in a chicken wing devotee?

Lol chicken wing!

I'm sure BB recognized a lot about him, but Cam was peanuts in a year that BB thought should never have happened anyway. Seems like it was an actual waste year for Bill. My only complain is we didn't lose more games! But maybe Mac is good enough

3 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I attended that game as a kid. I expected the Jets to win. It was an immensely talented team playing with a tremendous degree of confidence. Just a few weeks earlier my dad took me to the Dolphins season finale in the Orange Bowl. The Jets crushed Miami something like 31-7. So it wasn't exactly a surprise watching them methodically take apart Baltimore in the same stadium less than a month later. 

It simply was a bad pointspread in that game, one that was based on Green Bay's dominance of the first two Super Bowls and the perceived gap between the leagues. It certainly was not an accurate representation of the Colts' strength vs Jets strength. If those two teams had played repeatedly it would have been a very tight series. The Jets had playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball. Those playmakers like Randy Beverly and Johnny Sample saved the day countless times. I can still envision all the key plays. Jimmy Orr was wide open on the flea flicker just before halftime and running smack toward us, waving his hand for the ball. Everyone gasped. Then somehow Morrall didn't look in that direction, even though Orr was supposed to be the primary target. It was like my head was on a swivel when Morrall instead looked right and forced the ball over the deep middle, where Beverly cut in front and intercepted. That remains the single most astonishing play I have ever seen in person, especially in relation to how it impacted that result and therefore league history.

Strength of schedule is a device for simpletons. And I am being very kind with that summary. It is more than amusing to read younger fans try to interpret games and seasons and style of play from well before their time, using comical rationalization like strength of schedule. At least it is high comedy, here and elsewhere. 

Boy are you old. Me too!!! I watched it on TV, you know the one with the rabbit ears !  Your comment made me smile. 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Cam has always been a distraction.

Look at me I'm Super Man when scoring a 4th quarter TD when down 28 points.

Dressing like a clown at pressers.

His horrific behavior at the Super Bowl  (fumble fear and press conference tantrum)

Insulting women who cover football

2 more issues this week

His play far outweighed the drama in the past. That does not last forever.

To be clear lots of coaches have a higher tolerance bar than Belichick so he might get another job real soon.

I think he was hardly a distraction during his time in New England. By all accounts, all the players loved Cam, as well as the coaches. He just didn't perform and Mac won the job- really simple as that imo.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

He is still salty. 

He may be but he could be true. Will be interesting to see how Bill's remaining coaching career ends. The best way is he puts a team together and proves the people who call him out wrong. Thats the one thing I hate and admire about Nick Saban, at the end of the day he continues to produce championships with all new players at the college level so no one can ever question whether he was great based off of one player. BB needs to show that he can rebuild a contender without Tom. I just dont see it happening if McCorkle isnt the guy as BB is no spry chicken. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kirill said:

I haven’t gotten the vaccine cause if I’m going to be a lab rat (I’ve done vaccine trials for decent money before) I’m going to need to get paid.

At this point the COVID vaccines have been about as vetted as possible - no long term side effects and about as safe as one could hope vs the general population and IMMENSELY safer than contracting COVID. 

Basically, you wouldn't be a lab rat, you'd be taking a regular vaccine at this point. The trial period is over, they work and they're safe. 

• Like 1