Zach Wilson decision looks bad now and Darnold looks like a gamer

Vladimir L

6 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

Darnold was amazing at USC now that he is away from the Jets and Adam Gase, sky is the limit. 

Amazing how much better a player looks when they have a good group of weapons around them and a competent play caller. 

Tannehill left Gase and landed in Tennessee with AJ Brown, Corey Davis, Jonnu Smith, Derrick Henry and Arthur Smith calling the plays. 

Darnold left Gase and landed in Carolina with DJ Moore, Robby Anderson, Terrance Marshall, Christian McCaffery, and Joe Brady calling the plays. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Ultimately we need more time to decide. Give it 10 games or something for a trend. Some really good points made though. 

i do think NY are running the risk of getting Zach shell shocked. 

In the modern NFL a poor rookie season has typically been a pretty strong indicator of how good that player will be going forward. There are a few exceptions though, guys like Josh Allen, Matt Stafford, Ryan Tannehill, and Jared Goff were all highly drafted but played pretty bad as rookies and then went on to be good starters. 

But then you have a ton of other guys that just never figured it out including Josh Rosen, Blake Bortles, Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez, Jake Locker, Johnny Manziel, and the list can go on for days. 

Obviously Darnold has a chance to rewrite the narrative around his career in Carolina. But I believe that the Jaguars and Jets are the only two franchises to draft 3 QB's in the top 10 in the last 15 years, which probably doesn't bode very well for Lawerence or Wilson.

9 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

The difference between guys like Wilson and Mac Jones. 

One is on a team with the GOAT at HC who knows to not ask much from a rookie QB. He has Jones throwing dump offs most of the game, keeps it simple and effective.  It allows Jones to be comfortable and gain confidence.

Wilson comes out trying to air it out and makes some really dumb decisions. Saleh has to scale it back, it sucks that we have a rookie OC too. But they need to bring him in, keep it boring and allow him to make some easy completions and let the game slow down. Wilson has arm talent that only a couple QBs have, he wants to make those big throws, but you need to learn to walk before you run.  The one INT wasn't his fault, went through the WR hands. The other 3 completely his fault. The first INT, he actually had Elijah Moore break open, he instead forced it into Davis.  The out route was just terrible timing and dumb, idk what he was doing there. Then he has one where he just throws it out there, I guess he might have been able to hit Moore there but it was a bad throw. 

Jets need to keep it with quick  easy throws and run the ball. The run game might have some promise with Carter/Johnson.

You really think the Patriots don't run plays that allow Mac to air it out when he wants to? It's not necessarily the play calling its the coaching and Zach's decision making. The real difference is Mac has been taught to trust his reads and make the high percentage throw and then he actually does it. That clearly wasn't happening with Zach this past weekend. Whether its Saleh and the OC asking him to take shots or its Zach just over-extending himself; time will tell. 

14 hours ago, Norm said:

Do you think there's some serious intent there? That they don't want some middling bridge QB and just went to get to working with the guy they hitched their wagon to?

That has to be the logic right?

I think the logic, for better or worse (usually worse), is the idea that there are rookie QBs who are franchise saviors. 

Very often a guy with first round hype gets called "the guy who will turn the franchise around damn near singlehandedly". 

Maybe some are, but those guys are few, far between, and typically become a top 5 QB (showing how rare it is). 

Coaches overestimate how good their team is all the time (good coaches SHOULD do this, btw. It sets a higher bar.). But a young QB on a team that winds up bad is a terrible idea. 

This could be a philosophical thing, but I've always been of the mindset that you at least get your O-line and running game situated before you throw a rookie QB in. WRs and D will come in time if you're good. The QB may go through some growing pains, but most QBs do. 

The Jets seem cursed into desperately needing a QB RIGHT NOW. They're trying to build around a QB instead of building a team for a QB to take over. Why they wouldn't bring in a veteran QB at all is mind boggling in my opinion. Rookie mistake. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

They're trying to build around a QB instead of building a team for a QB to take over. Why they wouldn't bring in a veteran QB at all is mind boggling in my opinion. Rookie mistake. 

This makes sense to us but not to Owner's wallets. Pressure to have that marketable face of the franchise QB from ownership is HIGH. Yes, from a pure football sense, build out your trenches, have an established weapon, then draft your QB of the future. From a pure business sense, take the guy who will create buzz, put buts and seats, and sell jersey's before he plays a down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Wilson has a ton of arm talent, is mobile and can make plays outside of the structure of the offense. 

Having these skills in a vacuum is one thing - putting them all together seamlessly is another entirely.

I never felt comfortable with Wilson as a prospect (I actually watched some of him when it was believed the Texans were preparing to trade Deshaun Watson to NYJ). He looked inconsistent at BYU, and a lot of his hype was based on that one cross-body throw he made at his pro day:

Yeah, this is impressive. No, this is not indicative of his on-field performance. This is akin to that one time Kyle Boller became a FRP because he threw a football through the uprights while on one knee - impressive, but does not tell me if you're a good QB.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Having these skills in a vacuum is one thing - putting them all together seamlessly is another entirely.

I never felt comfortable with Wilson as a prospect (I actually watched some of him when it was believed the Texans were preparing to trade Deshaun Watson to NYJ). He looked inconsistent at BYU, and a lot of his hype was based on that one cross-body throw he made at his pro day:

Yeah, this is impressive. No, this is not indicative of his on-field performance. This is akin to that one time Kyle Boller became a FRP because he threw a football through the uprights while on one knee - impressive, but does not tell me if you're a good QB.

Alex Tanney isn't impressed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

This makes sense to us but not to Owner's wallets. Pressure to have that marketable face of the franchise QB from ownership is HIGH. Yes, from a pure football sense, build out your trenches, have an established weapon, then draft your QB of the future. From a pure business sense, take the guy who will create buzz, put buts and seats, and sell jersey's before he plays a down. 

No doubt. 

But nobody is mistaking Woody and Co for being good or even mediocre owners lol

35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He looked inconsistent at BYU, and a lot of his hype was based on that one cross-body throw he made at his pro day.

He was inconsistent at BYU but he was dealing with a shoulder injury during his first two seasons in college. He was finally healthy during his junior season and passed for 3,700 yards (74% comp), 33 TD/3 INT, on an 11-1 team, that's where his hype came from. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Winning solves everything though. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He was inconsistent at BYU but he was dealing with a shoulder injury during his first two seasons in college. He was finally healthy during his junior season and passed for 3,700 yards (74% comp), 33 TD/3 INT, on an 11-1 team, that's where his hype came from. 

Exactly, people don't acknowledge he had a shoulder injury.  His freshman season he had 12 TD 3 INTs.   

The ball explodes out of his hands, he threw the fastest pass in the NFL so far this season by stats.  

Its not just that he has a strong arm, he has really good ball placement and touch on throws when he needs to, he can make throws from  all over. Hes naturally accurate. Its just about the NFL slowing down, reading the defense better and take what they give him at times instead of being cocky thinking he can fit the ball in there. 

It was always going to be a bad performance vs the Patriots, BB is the best at making rookies look bad. Its too early to tell anything. 

• Like 1