When does Belichick's seat start to get hot?

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Correct. It was always Brady. I took plenty of ridicule on Dolphin sites over the years for emphasizing that. Miami fans hate Brady because they cling to the notion of Marino as all timer. Meanwhile it was blatantly obvious. You didn't need to watch one game. If a quarterback and coach are together for that long with that degree of success then it's the quarterback. Generalities overwhelm specifics. The people who fooled themselves into believing otherwise were the ones who did watch the games. Glorious subjectivity leading astray, per norm.

Brady made Belichick immune from the mid to low scoring defeat. I detailed those numbers here last season. I don't have them handy right now but New England won something like 80% of the time while allowing 27 or fewer with Brady as starter. Without Brady as starter, Belichick is 50/50 range when allowing 27 or fewer. He lost the opener to Miami when allowing 17. 

Once Brady was gone the absolute priority for Belichick should have been the quarterback most likely to put up points, no matter what he looks like out there. Maybe he thought it was Newton, despite the chicken wing mechanics and no touch whatsoever. Now he's got a quarterback who can throw the rainbow but as rookie you've got to accept not many touchdowns will accompany. I seriously hope Patriot fans were not devoting typical time in 2021 to analyzing their roster specifically offensive skill positions and scheme. All of that is regulated when a rookie quarterback is starting. 

QB is the most important position on the team, especially in today's era, true.  But it doesn't do BB justice to claim it was ALL Brady in my opinion.  It's never ALL any one person.  While you absolutely need a good QB to win, the QB also needs a good team to win.

• Like 3

Eventually in the future at some point BB will come home to where he started. Whether it's in the role of HC or GM I really do not care. But the man is welcome to take over the reigns of the NYG as soon as possible. Hoping NE goes 6-11 and expedites the process. We need you right now Bill!

Edited by Shockwave
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

In other words, you didn’t read the thread. 

If his seat is hot, it means there are calls for a change to be made. If he keeps losing, Kraft is not going to sit there happily thinking about the past. Whether he’s traded, given a nudge to step down, retires, it will likely because there are calls for such a thing to happen. Why? Because Kraft/media/fans are not happy with continued losing (IF he does keep losing). That’s when he has a hot seat. 

No I read you OP including this and disagree with it all. Nothing will force Bill out but his desire to call it quits. Not a losing record, not whiney self entitled fans no longer winning every other SB crying for change, damn sure not the media nor the Owner IMO who's Franchise he turn into a Dynasty, TWICE! 

His desire to Retire. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Eventually in the future at some point BB will come home to where he started. Whether it's in the role of HC or GM I really do not care. But the man is welcome to take over the reins of the NYG as soon as possible. Hoping NE geos 6-11 and expedites the process. We need you right now Bill!

Ohhhh Hell No. Gettleman for life!!! Now go wash your mouth out with some soap and speak of this No more. 😎

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No I read you OP including this and disagree with it all. Nothing will force Bill out but his desire to call it quits. Not a losing record, not whiney self entitled fans no longer winning every other SB crying for change, damn sure not the media nor the Owner IMO who's Franchise he turn into a Dynasty, TWICE! 

His desire to Retire. 

Yup. 

The likelihood of his seat ever getting "hot", by every definition of a "hot seat" known to football fans, is about as likely as Joe Montana coming out of retirement and getting one more ring while resetting the record books. It's"technically" not "impossible", but it's not going to happen. 

Just now, notthatbluestuff said:

No they wouldn’t. 

Lets put it this way, people are already talking if Belichick can ever win anything without Brady. They remember his 5-13 start with Bledsoe, so now if you miss the playoffs while having the most expensive FA window ever, questions will get asked. This won't put him on a warmer seat but if this continues into 2022 you can be damn sure that fans and media will be angry. Just because he won 6 SBs doesn't stop anyone caring about the here and now. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Let's put it this way, Bill Belichick could go 0-17 for 3 straight years and people in NE would just shrug their shoulders and go, "But he won us 6 SBs."

Nope. I live smack dab in the middle of Pats country and they are already getting antsy. Spoiled SOB's if you ask me. Some of these younger fans have never experienced a losing season in their lifetime

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shockwave said:

Nope. I live smack dab in the middle of Pats country and they are already getting antsy. Spoiled SOB's if you ask me. Some of these younger fans have never experienced a losing season in their lifetime

I mean, we had a losing season last year.

6 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Technically. But 7-9 is nothing compared to living through that 1990-1993 stretch. Young Pat fans have no idea what that sort of misery is like.

You are right which is why people will get angry quicker than they would be if 3 win seasons were followed by 7 win seasons. Now 7 win seasons will make them want to move on from Belichick. Not me but if you have 3 7 win seasons and Mac doesn't show much by the end of 2022, they want him fired. I guarantee it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

You are right which is why people will get angry quicker than they would be if 3 win seasons were followed by 7 win seasons. Now 7 win seasons will make them want to move on from Belichick. Not me but if you have 3 7 win seasons and Mac doesn't show much by the end of 2022, they want him fired. I guarantee it.

Really depends on if Bill the GM can effectively rebuild the team in a few years.  I think people will be accepting IF there's progress and we're not just floating in mediocrity for eternity.