When does Belichick's seat start to get hot?

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

depends what soonish is. 

I think he wants to see out at least the rookie contract of his QB and load up the roster but this might not happen if Mac is a bust. I don't see any way he gets told to leave after this year. Next year could happen though because when your QB sucks 2 years in, he likely will continue to suck.

But you are making a good point. I wouldn't rule out Belichick just deciding to leave after this year and go to a much better situation that needs a better coach. If NE misses the playoffs and TB possibly repeats, this would make for a really interesting scenario.

I know there's a lot of smoke around BB and Krafts relationship, but is there anything to that? If so that could play a part too.

I've been very patient with Belichick and defended him ad nauseum, but that decision to kick a 56 yard FG in pouring rain instead of trusting your prodigy rookie QB to get 3 yards and milk the clock earned him some heat.

Absolutely inexcusable decision.

2 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I've been very patient with Belichick and defended him ad nauseum, but that decision to kick a 56 yard FG in pouring rain instead of trusting your prodigy rookie QB to get 3 yards and milk the clock earned him some heat.

The fact you were even in the game against arguably the best team in the NFL says a lot, lol.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

The fact you were even in the game against arguably the best team in the NFL says a lot, lol.

No one remembers how much the defense dominated NYG for the majority of Super Bowl 42. They remember the failure to keep them out of the end zone on the final drive.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, biggie. said:

"Prodigy"
lol

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, biggie. said:

No one remembers how much the defense dominated NYG for the majority of Super Bowl 42. They remember the failure to keep them out of the end zone on the final drive.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

…I remember foregoing two makeable field goals to try and convert 4th and medium.😒

• Like 1

Thoughts on Belichick by a Patriots fan on another forum I've checked out:

Hey everyone, let's have another discussion about the brilliance of Bill Belichick. I mean, how many coaches could turn the Defensive Player of the Year in 2019 into a sixth round draft pick in 2023? Why pay the man who's proven he can excel in your 'system' when you can overpay bums from other teams to fill out your secondary? Why pay Tom Brady to take your ****ty roster to a 12-4 record in 2019 when you can have Cam Newton throws balls into the dirt and go 7-9 with the same roster in 2020? Why throw Cam Newton out there at all when you have a capable backup who easily could've taken you to 7-9? (The answer to that last one is obvious. You keep throwing Cam out there so you have an excuse for losing. Better to have people second guessing your roster than to examine your ability to coach.)

Let's take this thought experiment a step further. If 2008 was amazing because he went 11-5 with a backup QB, why can't he replicate that success? On what planet is a 5 game drop in the standings amazing coaching? I've been told Matt Cassel was a sh-tty QB by people on this board. Matt Cassel went to the pro bowl in 2010 with the Chiefs. More to the point, Cassel put up good numbers in 2008. So I don't care if Kermit the Frog was the starting QB in 2008, those numbers are more than good enough to avoid a five game drop in the standings with a competent coach, considering the team was loaded and had a championship pedigree at that point. To circle back, you should be able to go 11-5 in 2020 with Brian Hoyer, who has been in your system for years, if you went 11-5 with Matt Cassel who is apparently terrible. Why couldn't he do it? Why the panic move to bring in a washed up Newton and stick with him when it was clear he couldn't play anymore? (Again, see the answer to that above.)

Why the excuses for losing last season? Why point out covid opt outs when most of the players were practice squad level guys? The only real loss was Hightower, and he only played 5 games in 2017 and you made the Super Bowl-- in the same season that top WR Edelman was lost for the season in August with a blown ACL. Why were the Patriots able to absorb major injuries in still succeed when Tom Brady was here? Why did the Patriots never load up on talent while underpaying the best QB in the game, yet they printed money for every free agent under the sun following another losing season post-Brady?

Which is worse, his GM capabilities or his coaching? Why, if he's so great, does his winning percentage drop so precipitously without Tom Brady? Why does he only make the playoffs when Tom Brady is around?

So many questions with Bill Belichick, and nobody who claims he's great has any answers. Don't worry, I'll just keep asking. Mine is the easiest 'hot take' argument in history because the data is 100% in my favor. The only arguments I'm ever going to get are, "But he's great though." "Clearly he's great." "So and so said he's great, that settles it." Zero data to back it up. Zero.

But we're supposed to believe that Patriots fans will just accept a bunch of losing seasons because he won in the past? 

3 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Thoughts on Belichick by a Patriots fan on another forum I've checked out:

But we're supposed to believe that Patriots fans will just accept a bunch of losing seasons because he won in the past? 

you are discounting something important

That dude is a massive moron 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 11:53 PM, biggie. said:

Funniest thing is Jones throws short passes all game and yet all he needs is a short completion and Bill kicks it lol

• Like 1