When does Belichick's seat start to get hot?

notthatbluestuff

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I can't believe there are people that actually think any football team wouldn't fire a losing coach because he won in the past.

yeah i was just thinking this reading through the thread, the people saying "never" are very goofy. having said that, belichick probably has a longer leash than most and it think he'd be afforded every opportunity to see the rebuild through. so at least 2 years after this one, unless the bottom *completely* falls out.

Just now, -Hope- said:

yeah i was just thinking this reading through the thread, the people saying "never" are very goofy. having said that, belichick probably has a longer leash than most and it think he'd be afforded every opportunity to see the rebuild through. so at least 2 years after this one, unless the bottom *completely* falls out.

Agreed.  I can't imagine anyone with a longer leash than Bill, and the people saying he'd retire first are probably right.  But in the hypothetical where he keeps coaching and keeps losing (which is also probably unlikely), he absolutely would have a warm seat quickly.

As has every other formerly great coach whom the game left behind.

On 9/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, Jlowe22 said:

QB is the most important position on the team, especially in today's era, true.  But it doesn't do BB justice to claim it was ALL Brady in my opinion.  It's never ALL any one person.  While you absolutely need a good QB to win, the QB also needs a good team to win.

I personally think Bill Belichick is the most overrated coach in NFL History. Replace Bill with any other hall of fame coach and they still win 6 Super Bowls. If Bruce "Imma about to whip somebody's ***" Arians can win a Super Bowl with Brady then it isn't all that impressive.

8 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

I personally think Bill Belichick is the most overrated coach in NFL History. Replace Bill with any other hall of fame coach and they still win 6 Super Bowls. If Bruce "Imma about to whip somebody's ***" Arians can win a Super Bowl with Brady then it isn't all that impressive.

I wouldn't go that far but I think he deserves less credit than he got.

Probably four years straight of no playoffs, last year included, and he would be asked to “retire” or a forced “step down”. The forced step down is basically a firing, but they won’t word it as a firing out of respect for Bellichick. Same thing happened to Coughlin. Coughlin was basically fired but it wasn’t worded that way out of respect. 

QB is the most important position on the team, especially in today's era, true.  But it doesn't do BB justice to claim it was ALL Brady in my opinion.  It's never ALL any one person.  While you absolutely need a good QB to win, the QB also needs a good team to win.

Belichick didn't make the playoffs last year and Brady won the Super Bowl with "I'm about to whip somebody's ***" as the head coach. It was always the Brady way not the Belichick way. Belichick won nothing pre and post Brady. 

4 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Belichick didn't make the playoffs last year and Brady won the Super Bowl with "I'm about to whip somebody's ***" as the head coach. It was always the Brady way not the Belichick way. Belichick won nothing pre and post Brady. 

Belicheck won 2 SB with the Giants before Brady. Hell Tom needs another to catch him. 

It was Bill's Defense's that won 2 of the first 3 SB and the leg of Adam Vinatieri. Not Tom, Let's be real here for a second. 

7 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

In general I feel coaches are likely one of the least valuable parts of NFL teams as coaches are only as good as their talent. Any coach can win with great talent, but no coach can win without any talent. It's simple. 

Tell that to a Bears or Texans fan and see if they agree?

And while Tom Brady is the GOAT and I'd never argue against it... he's definitely not 6 Super Bowls better than say, Aaron Rodgers.  Nothing wrong with saying Brady was in a great situation that helped him win a lot of titles.  Just like Belichick probably doesn't get 4+ Super Bowls without Brady, Brady likely doesn't get 4+ Super Bowls without Belichick.

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

And while Tom Brady is the GOAT and I'd never argue against it... he's definitely not 6 Super Bowls better than say, Aaron Rodgers.  Nothing wrong with saying Brady was in a great situation that helped him win a lot of titles.  Just like Belichick probably doesn't get 4+ Super Bowls without Brady, Brady likely doesn't get 4+ Super Bowls without Belichick.

Would Rodgers win 4+ SBs with Belichick?  I do think the partnership together was what made it the greatest winners in pro football history.  I do believe switching out either party with another HOF would not guarantee similiar success.  So I agree with you.

The question which is up for debate is how much influence does the Qb create the great situation.  I would argue the QB has a greater influence for the situation.  Why?  A HC can certainly develop a great system and create develop a plan thru practice and meetings to create a winning culture.  However, the elite QB is the leader of the team.  He has to not only execute the plays at a level that other members of the team will have faith of the HC plan.  His play, interaction in the locker room or practice field, and even body language on the field helps to reinforce the vision of the HC is viable.

No doubt Belichick is a great HC, but without the GOAT Qb he probably would be at best the same level of HOF coaches Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll or Tom Landry.  So I do believe the elite Qb does have more influence over a successful partnership.  Something in the range of 60/40 split.  

A lot of good points brought up by yourself and other earlier posts.  👍

On 9/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, Blackstar12 said:

He’s going to retire soon anyways he’s 70 and is the most accomplished coach in NFL history. 

I'm not so sure. He's accomplished virtually nothing without Tom Brady.

I'd be willing to bet he wants to at least make the playoffs without him, and I don't think that's going to happen in NE because Belichick the GM has failed that roster.

Id bet he and Kraft mutually agree to part ways after either this year or next and he finds himself an advantageous situation - possibly Arizona if they collapse again and Kliff gets fired.

17 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I'm not so sure. He's accomplished virtually nothing without Tom Brady.

I'd be willing to bet he wants to at least make the playoffs without him, and I don't think that's going to happen in NE because Belichick the GM has failed that roster.

Id bet he and Kraft mutually agree to part ways after either this year or next and he finds himself an advantageous situation - possibly Arizona if they collapse again and Kliff gets fired.

depends what soonish is. 

I think he wants to see out at least the rookie contract of his QB and load up the roster but this might not happen if Mac is a bust. I don't see any way he gets told to leave after this year. Next year could happen though because when your QB sucks 2 years in, he likely will continue to suck.

But you are making a good point. I wouldn't rule out Belichick just deciding to leave after this year and go to a much better situation that needs a better coach. If NE misses the playoffs and TB possibly repeats, this would make for a really interesting scenario.