Week 5 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

How bad does it have to go this season for Kyle Shanahan to be fired? 

I'm not advocating for it I'm just curious.

He's not going anywhere. It just won't get that bad. I personally think he's here through 2023 before there is a real thought of firing him. I suppose after next season if the rest of this year and next year are disasters. 

But we have very winnable games on the schedule...I'd say at least 5 that I think we should be the favorites on (though Cincy is doing an excellent job at looking legit; we will see if it sticks), so even at 2-3 I'm really looking at those games as likely wins putting us 7-3 (or 6-4 if we are 4-1 in those very winnable games). That's 7 games left which could probably go either way. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

We've seen the mob shift from hating on just Jimmy to hating on both Jimmy and Shanahan in a matter of hours lol.

The fire Kyle thing is pretty rapid fire. 

I do think he's having a pretty bad year, but I don't think that its any different for coaches or players. I think that they can have bad years and good years. I feel like maybe Shanny is a little fried, and after this off season, I'd kind of get it. 

I think it's fair to criticize him. Hell, I was doing that when we were heading to the super bowl lol. I'll criticize anything if I don't necessarily agree, but the fire takes are pretty quick. Okay to ask the questions. Okay to have some reservations about Kyle at this point...I mean, results are results at some juncture. But I think it's just an off year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

This is how I feel.

100%. Can't explain it...just a weird year, just sort of an off year for him. I think it's just one of those things. Multiple beat reports have said he's been a little frayed at the ends, so to speak. I think the gig has gotten to him a little bit. I think this off season has been the most stressful one since he came here, to be honest. He's probably just on edge and it's having an impact. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The fire Kyle thing is pretty rapid fire. 

I do think he's having a pretty bad year, but I don't think that its any different for coaches or players. I think that they can have bad years and good years. I feel like maybe Shanny is a little fried, and after this off season, I'd kind of get it. 

I think it's fair to criticize him. Hell, I was doing that when we were heading to the super bowl lol. I'll criticize anything if I don't necessarily agree, but the fire takes are pretty quick. Okay to ask the questions. Okay to have some reservations about Kyle at this point...I mean, results are results at some juncture. But I think it's just an off year. 

Folks can't blame Jimmy because he didn't play, so they gotta blame Shanahan which is kind of funny. Trey is next. 

Anyway yup Shanahan isn't beyond reproach. No one is. I'm good with him as head coach though. I'm biased though and would even hire his dad back if we didn't have Kyle. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

100%. Can't explain it...just a weird year, just sort of an off year for him. I think it's just one of those things. Multiple beat reports have said he's been a little frayed at the ends, so to speak. I think the gig has gotten to him a little bit. I think this off season has been the most stressful one since he came here, to be honest. He's probably just on edge and it's having an impact. 

I don’t think that he liked the intense scrutiny and media attention that came with trading up to the 3rd pick. I think he liked the reasoning behind the decision, but it meant a month of being the center of attention. Which Jed and John liked, but really isn’t Kyle’s thing. He just wants to be in a dark room making decisions in a vacuum and messing with plays and such. And then we’re having to run more of the media gamut with the two quarterbacks after it. Which, again, was a decision that Kyle thought made sense - I really think he wanted us to look like we did in the Raiders preseason game all year. But the social aspect of that plan was rough on the team and rough on the airwaves. And (this is pure speculation) that can lead to burnout. Plus, with Jimmy G, they’ve thrown literally all the clever plans at the wall at this point. It can’t be creatively stimulating trying to figure out how to scheme a 15 yard in route in the 180th different way because that’s the only way for that offense to get chunk plays. Missing Mostert has killed another source of easy big play production. It’s a massive grind trying to scheme up 15 play drives in order to get scores. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I don’t think that he liked the intense scrutiny and media attention that came with trading up to the 3rd pick. I think he liked the reasoning behind the decision, but it meant a month of being the center of attention. Which Jed and John liked, but really isn’t Kyle’s thing. He just wants to be in a dark room making decisions in a vacuum and messing with plays and such. And then we’re having to run more of the media gamut with the two quarterbacks after it. Which, again, was a decision that Kyle thought made sense - I really think he wanted us to look like we did in the Raiders preseason game all year. But the social aspect of that plan was rough on the team and rough on the airwaves. And (this is pure speculation) that can lead to burnout. Plus, with Jimmy G, they’ve thrown literally all the clever plans at the wall at this point. It can’t be creatively stimulating trying to figure out how to scheme a 15 yard in route in the 180th different way because that’s the only way for that offense to get chunk plays. Missing Mostert has killed another source of easy big play production. It’s a massive grind trying to scheme up 15 play drives in order to get scores. 

Shanny's problem is he put all his eggs in the 2019 basket in regards to trying to mirror that team, 2 years later.

That's just not how professional football works. 

I've said it REPEATEDLY, for years....if you're trying to stay pat or keep the status quo in the NFL, you'll soon be woefully behind. 

You HAVE to evolve. From your playbook to roster construction. You can't just say 'wow, we were so good last year, doing it this way let's just run it back again and try to recreate that'. That strategy has a minimum 2 year shelf life. But others soon catch up. Its part of the reason KC is struggling at the moment. You have to find a new way to skin the cat. It's one of the reason Belichick had the run he had fir slmost two decades. Brady obviously was a big part of it but he never played the 'let's run it back' card. He may have kept the same core talent for around two years at the most. Then it was another influx of skillset/talents/chemistry with the engine to drive the whole thing (Brady) still pulling the caboose.

Shanny did acknowledge his QB needed to evolve to help him as a playcaller so I will give him credit for that. But asking this defense to recreate to magic of that 2019 team and trying to scheme up Jimmy and the passing game in the excat same manner was just insult to the rest of the league and their ability to adjust/improve.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Oh great Kap Jr is injured after his first start! Can't see how he'll last when all the plays called for him are QB draws or zone read option lol! Meanwhile Mac Jones had a nice comeback win for the Patriots yesterday but he was too much like Jimmy to draft lol!

Mac Jones went up against the Texans. Lance as a very raw prospect was forced to go up against the Cardinals due to Jimmy getting hurt.

7 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Mac Jones went up against the Texans. Lance as a very raw prospect was forced to go up against the Cardinals due to Jimmy getting hurt.

Kap Jr will not even match Kap Sr's results as a Niners QB. You need a pocket passer to win SB's as run first get you nowhere in Jan/Feb. I like mobile QB's but not the ones where legs are the be-all to end all.