Why is Sam Darnold so bad?

Slingin' Sammy

There’s some highly drafted prospects who bust where you could kind of see it coming (EJ Manuel, Tubisky, Haskins, etc.), but Darnold seemed like a pretty unanimous choice by people in the “know” to be at least a solid NFL QB. Nearly three and a half seasons into his career, and he still hasn’t even been consistently average. Everyone blamed Gase when he sucked with the Jets, but now that he’s bombing with the Panthers, is it now safe to say his shortcomings are mostly on him?

He's one of those Targaryen quarterbacks - a flip of a coin, 50-50 chance of being a franchise starter, or a bust.

Landing on the Jets heavily influenced the coin to land on the bust side. Some issues continued from college, namely turnovers (fumbles), and some developed due to poor situation, starting to see ghosts and just mentally broke.

• Like 8

I don't think its unfair to say the Jets ruined him

He might still be saveable - he's shown some signs of being good in Carolina, but also some signs of being his old self

But I do think its real that 3 seasons of being developed poorly contribute to his current situation

Mahomes inherited incredible weapons in his offense
Lamar had an offense built around his skill sets
Allen was given more tools and developed correctly
Kyler was given a plethora of weapons

Sam Darnold is on the short list of worst football situations for a young QB - and it shows

There are exceptions, like I think Watson did a lot with very little. Herbert had very little outside of Keenan Allen and was great right away. Burrow has nice receivers, but his line committed treason on him his entire rookie season. It's not the ONLY excuse for Darnold, but I think its a big part of it. Just because Tannehill managed to survive in an awful situation and then flourish a bit more after leaving, doesn't mean that all QBs who get developed poorly will be able to do the same.

• Like 1

To be fair most guys that enter the league just don't turn out to be superstars, or even starters worthy of another big contract. Darnold might not be cut out to be a sky maestro, but he can still have a decent career as a backup like a Steve Beuerlein or Tony Banks. Whatever. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

He's a mediocre quarterback. He always has been. He never had it at USC and was overdrafted for being tall and strong armed from a big name school. He was obviously a bust and was the strongest "traditional" QB of a bad class for those traditional QB types. Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson were all different types of QBs but had better traits. Josh Rosen was another guy over drafted for being a traditional guy, but that class was so different. And honestly, Mayfield isn't that good either. The best QBs of that class are Allen and Jackson and it's not really close.

• Like 2

Darnold lacks it.  Cliche, but the best way to sum it up with him.  Said it in a Gameday Discussion thread too.  I think he's got a very good physical skill-set and I absolutely think he's good enough to be a back-up.  Could even be a high-end back-up on a team with enough talent, like the Saints once MT returns.  

But he suffers from the same thing Teddy suffered from.  The lack of a strong, competitive drive.  No fire.  I'm not saying he doesn't love the game of football, I'd never accuse an NFL player of that unless they gave me a good reason to.  But you can just tell when he plays that he doesn't have that edge that other guys have.  All the talent in the world, but he lacks that feel of the game that the competitive guys have.  

Cam Newton was far from the best, but he was incredibly competitive.  Jake Delhomme was an average QB, but dude played his tail off every single week and would do anything for a W.  Darnold can't go into overdrive like those guys could.  

• Like 1