Week 8 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

25 minutes ago, Kael said:

I think this is partially the case.

The troubling part to me is that the game plan is based around the dink and dunk short pass this season, even when our OL was completely healthy. And teams have learned that. Early in the season they expected us to burn them deep. So the dink and dunk was working. They would adjust to the short pass, and then we would burn them deep. Now both BAL and NE have sold out to shut down the short pass and we have had absolutely no response. If a team is going to sell out like that against us we need to burn them intermediate to deep, repeatedly.

But we don't. And what irritates me is the play calling doesn't even seem to try. I mean how many deep passes fell incomplete today? Or completed? Or intercepted? 

I will also say that there is a disconcerting pattern with Herbert this year and last. He seems to be having problems against certain types of defenses ie. ones that disguise their blitzes and coverage well.  His worst games last year were against the Dolphins and Patriots. This year it’s been the Ravens and Patriots. It feels that he’s still behind other QBs in post snap reads.

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

Mike white led his team to a huge upset win. Tom Brady threw a game sealing pick 6. Clearly Mike White is Better than Tom Brady.

That much is apparent.

At this point I’m wondering if Trevor Siemian is better than Tom Brady too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

That much is apparent.

At this point I’m wondering if Trevor Siemian is better than Tom Brady too.

It's a stone cold fact that Siemian beat Brady without even getting starter reps leading up to the game. If he had gotten them he probably would have went Super Siemian and tossed some spirit bomb tds...

Edited by drew39k

17 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Be honest, you’ve had this post written for months now with the team names blank just praying to fill them in lol

What do you mean by that? If you read my prediction before the season started I had Bucs v Rams in the NFCCG and I had the Chiefs in the SB. Now I’m not backing from my Bucs v Rams NFCCG prediction. I’m totally off the Chiefs in the SB prediction although if they get into the playoffs it wouldn’t shock if they got hot with Mahomes on offense and if their defense just plays decent they can make a run. Those are a lot to ask for though with the Chiefs by the way they have been playing this season.

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I will also say that there is a disconcerting pattern with Herbert this year and last. He seems to be having problems against certain types of defenses ie. ones that disguise their blitzes and coverage well.

I agree with this, and watching todays game kind of has me worried, in combination with the other games. He is still one of the best young QBs so hopefully he grows, but it is something worth watching. With Anthony Lynn however, and now with Lombardi, I don't think the play calling does him many favors. Roll him out, get him out of the pocket, let him run. 

I'm not overly concerned as BB and New England has owned us when Brees was our QB, owned us when Rivers was our QB and seems to still be owning us with Herbert as our QB.

1 minute ago, Kael said:

I agree with this, and watching todays game kind of has me worried, in combination with the other games. He is still one of the best young QBs so hopefully he grows, but it is something worth watching. With Anthony Lynn however, and now with Lombardi, I don't think the play calling does him many favors. Roll him out, get him out of the pocket, let him run. 

I'm not overly concerned as BB and New England has owned us when Brees was our QB, owned us when Rivers was our QB and seems to still be owning us with Herbert as our QB.

Brees had a winning record against the Patriots as a Charger though. Or at least at .500.

4 minutes ago, Kael said:

I think Herbert rolling out of the pocket and running are nice ideas that may work occasionally. But at the end of the day, his best chance at success is operating from the pocket. 

With that being said, I did wish we could have pried O’Connell from McVay since I feel the Shanahan/McVay scheme was perfect for Herbert. He should be doing what Stafford is doing right now.