Week 8 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

14 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

What do you mean by that? If you read my prediction before the season started I had Bucs v Rams in the NFCCG and I had the Chiefs in the SB. Now I’m not backing from my Bucs v Rams NFCCG prediction. I’m totally off the Chiefs in the SB prediction although if they get into the playoffs it wouldn’t shock if they got hot with Mahomes on offense and if their defense just plays decent they can make a run. Those are a lot to ask for though with the Chiefs by the way they have been playing this season.

It was just an extremely bloated overreaction post that didn’t make a whole lot of sense.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

I think Herbert rolling out of the pocket and running are nice ideas that may work occasionally. But at the end of the day, his best chance at success is operating from the pocket. 

Oh I agree. But I do think it should be incorporated. Occasionally just check the offense.

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

With that being said, I did wish we could have pried O’Connell from McVay since I feel the Shanahan/McVay scheme was perfect for Herbert. He should be doing what Stafford is doing right now.

I also agree 100%. Much of what I am saying is that so far I am not a fan of Lombardi.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

It was just an extremely bloated overreaction post that didn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Again not overreaction. Everyone is talking about dethroning the Bucs and that since they brought everyone back they are the overwhelming favs especially considering the Chiefs have fallen off right now. That team shouldn’t lose to the Trevor Siemian led Saints. The Bucs were a 10pt fav with Winston starting. What would the point sore be had Siemian started? 17-18pts? Considering the Saints played on MNF and didn’t look great and the Bucs have been rolling ever since that Pats game. Idk maybe it’s just me to think there is no explanation for the Bucs losing this game. Can’t say trap game. Yes it’s a divisional game but the Bucs had all the incentive to embarrass the Saints like the Saints did twice last season. So I don’t know what didn’t make sense? 

19 minutes ago, Kael said:

Oh I agree. But I do think it should be incorporated. Occasionally just check the offense.

I also agree 100%. Much of what I am saying is that so far I am not a fan of Lombardi.

I was highly skeptical of Lombardi as well given what happened in Detroit. But I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because sometimes people get better ie. Daboll. And when we were 4-1, I was definitely singling his praise. Now that we had this 2 year skid, can the offense turn it around?

What Mike White did kinda reminds me of when Nick Mullens came in for the 49ers and had like 3 TDs 0INT then a game or three later had a 400 yard start and people talked about is he the long term answer. It's the system most likely, and its similar to the system that let Matt Schaub put up 4700 yards in Houston or whatever he peaked at. Truth is arm talent limitations will limit the QB and the system will allow some pretty nice looking stat lines with a limited arm. Zach Wilson has a special arm and if he masters the system has a much much higher upside. Mike White probably bought himself time in the league though as a reserve and that's worth quite a bit. Jets would be super stupid to give up on Zach Wilson. If Mike White keeps rattling off great stat lines Mike LaFleur will get a HC job and you flip Mike White to that team with a tag and trade or tender him as the highest comp or however RFAs work.

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

How much does Zach Wilson get in a trade? Gotta think a bit, more than what AZ got for Josh Rosen...

I would hope so. Would obviously take a lot for this Mike White to actually overcome the football politics of being a long term starter in that situation. He'd basically have to turn the Jets season around, and even if he did they'd still probably just trade him at the end instead of Wilson. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

What Mike White did kinda reminds me of when Nick Mullens came in for the 49ers and had like 3 TDs 0INT then a game or three later had a 400 yard start and people talked about is he the long term answer. It's the system most likely, and its similar to the system that let Matt Schaub put up 4700 yards in Houston or whatever he peaked at. Truth is arm talent limitations will limit the QB and the system will allow some pretty nice looking stat lines with a limited arm. Zach Wilson has a special arm and if he masters the system has a much much higher upside. Mike White probably bought himself time in the league though as a reserve and that's worth quite a bit. Jets would be super stupid to give up on Zach Wilson. If Mike White keeps rattling off great stat lines Mike LaFleur will get a HC job and you flip Mike White to that team with a tag and trade or tender him as the highest comp or however RFAs work.

Well, CJ Beathard has a pretty good arm and looked just as bad as Mullens did. 

Road teams on winning streaks are very prone to flat efforts like Cincinnati and Tampa Bay today, or Buffalo at Tennessee a couple of weeks ago. I actually think Dallas was helped tonight by the Prescott situation. That shaped up as a classic snooze effort until they realized they had to buck up without their quarterback.

Regarding Mike White I kept hearing that name today until finally remembering I watched him in person as a true freshman at South Florida. I traveled to Tampa when the Canes were unbeaten in 2013. Miami was roughly a 20 point road favorite. White obviously had a strong arm and good mechanics but he lacked good touch and had some tunnel vision. Both of those weaknesses are typical of freshmen. All the Bulls fans seated nearby were thrilled with White and assumed he would be the starter for years. Then I lost track of him and wasn't sure what happened. All the Canes fans cheered wildly at game's end because White came up short on a backdoor cover drive. Miami won and covered. Then exposed at Florida State several weeks later.

8 hours ago, Kael said:

We lived on the big play. 41 yard pass and 75 yard run. Other than that New England took away the short stuff, but that is all we basically tried. That is all that it takes. Take away the short passing. I'm not putting that on Herbert because he can pass intermediate to deep better the can short. But the play calling when this is obvious is absolutely wretched.

We were in trouble on the deep passing, he should have called more. Although it looked like our pass rush was fairly effective. We blitzed more than our average, I think

8 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Again not overreaction. Everyone is talking about dethroning the Bucs and that since they brought everyone back they are the overwhelming favs especially considering the Chiefs have fallen off right now. That team shouldn’t lose to the Trevor Siemian led Saints. The Bucs were a 10pt fav with Winston starting. What would the point sore be had Siemian started? 17-18pts? Considering the Saints played on MNF and didn’t look great and the Bucs have been rolling ever since that Pats game. Idk maybe it’s just me to think there is no explanation for the Bucs losing this game. Can’t say trap game. Yes it’s a divisional game but the Bucs had all the incentive to embarrass the Saints like the Saints did twice last season. So I don’t know what didn’t make sense? 

You posted this almost exactly a year ago..

On 11/9/2020 at 5:02 AM, stl4life07 said:

The Bucs are a really good team but we have seen Brady look poor. Week 1 and tonight against the Saints, the Bears game, the first half of the Chargers game, and the Giants game. He isn’t the QB you can automatically count on every game now. Not saying he can’t lead the team to a Superbowl run but it’s not automatic like it seemed to be in New England. The Pats were buttoned up, the players fell in line, great coaching, and the path was easier because either the Pats had the 1 seed or the 2 seed. The Bucs technically could end up with the 5th or 6th seed even with 12 or 11 wins. That means Brady will not only have no BYE but no HFA and even with the Pats when they didn’t have a BYE and then eventually had to go on the road Brady struggled and they would lose. So it’s going to be interesting to see what happens with the Bucs from here on out. They have a tough stretch of games so the Saints can pull away in the division but I think the Bucs definitely get into the playoffs. 

You're not being egregious or unfair and it's a perfectly acceptable take to say that Brady isn't automatic. It would be unfair to call you out over that. But if history does repeat itself....you're probably underrating him/they again