Week 8 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You posted this almost exactly a year ago..

You're not being egregious or unfair and it's a perfectly acceptable take to say that Brady isn't automatic. It would be unfair to call you out over that. But if history does repeat itself....you're probably underrating him/they again

Again I did pick them to get to the NFCCG so I can’t be underrating them. In the words of Colin Cowherd what I saw against the Saints, I can’t unsee. Three fatal flaws for the Bucs in what we all can agree is a tougher NFC this season than last.

The Bucs can’t run the ball against better competition (Cowboys, Rams, Saints) all of which they most likely will see in the playoffs.

The Bucs have a self inflicted penalty problem. It’s going to be hard to overcome giving already great offenses (Cowboys, Rams, Packers, Cards) free yards. They gave the Saints a free 99yds and even wiped out an int on one penalty that would’ve been huge for the Bucs.

The Bucs defense we are waiting to see play at the level they did last season when they made that SB run. What if they don’t? In the same way we are waiting for the Chiefs offense to get right. The key to the Bucs success was the defense and again against the better teams they faced this season (Cowboys, Rams, Saints) they aren’t even getting to the QB. So unless I’m missing something this season feels like it’s going to be light years different than last season. The only saving grace is again health on defense in the secondary and MAYBE they flip a switch and get hot. I just feel against these high powered offenses if the Bucs can get to Kyler, Stafford, ARod, or Dak it don’t matter who is playing in secondary. The Bucs defense will get carved up. 

Brian Flores when they fire you remember you can always come back home.

The Patriots Coaching staff over the last 20 years and kinda like kids.The kids go off trying to be successful and when they fail they can always come back home to the nest

20 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The Patriots Coaching staff over the last 20 years and kinda like kids.The kids go off trying to be successful and when they fail they can always come back home to the nest

And they do disproportionally better against their parents...

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Qbs like White and Mullens have surprisingly good games because defenses don't have any film on them which is why they die out so quickly after the fact.

I'd assume that guys like White/Mullen are also more likely to take shots down the field and make some YOLO plays because they know they're likely only going to get a small chance to play.

7 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

What-About-Bob.jpg

20 hours ago, Kael said:

Oh I agree. But I do think it should be incorporated. Occasionally just check the offense.

I also agree 100%. Much of what I am saying is that so far I am not a fan of Lombardi.

This Popper article is a little alarming if the HC and KA are on the same page but Herbert isn’t.

https://theathletic.com/2926255/2021/11/01/takeaways-from-chargers-loss-to-patriots-offense-stumbles-again/

The Patriots had shown a lot of man-to-man coverage on film this season. But Staley said he expected New England to deviate from that tendency in this game. Show man pre-snap and shift to zone after the snap. And that is exactly what happened.

“They’ve been running man on film. They came out and played zone,” Allen said. “We knew they were going to do that because they can’t cover us. So that’s what they did.”

Herbert, though, told a different story after the game.

“We saw a lot of Cover 2 (zone), and so that’s just one of those things that they hadn’t shown a lot all year,” Herbert said. “And so that’s one of those game plan things that you go into the game and see and address at halftime, and I thought we did a good job communicating that.”

“A lot of disguise,” Herbert added. “We were expecting a lot of man. That’s what they’d showed all year, but didn’t get a whole lot of that today.”

This is certainly a curious contradiction. I will have more Monday when we talk to Staley again. But I think, generally, it speaks to just how disjointed the offense was Sunday.

Serious question about the refs. What can anyone do about them completely ruining the game constantly? Just egregious and unfathomably bad calls that ruin games every single week, yet zero accountability. I realize it has always not been great, but it just seems to be taking to a whole higher level of ineptitude this year. That call that cost the Bengals the game is one of many, many, many, many examples. I'm not on the NFL rigs games conspiracy theory train yet, but I'm definitely watching from the train station at this point.

10 minutes ago, Titans_Matt said:

Serious question about the refs. What can anyone do about them completely ruining the game constantly? Just egregious and unfathomably bad calls that ruin games every single week, yet zero accountability. I realize it has always not been great, but it just seems to be taking to a whole higher level of ineptitude this year. That call that cost the Bengals the game is one of many, many, many, many examples. I'm not on the NFL rigs games conspiracy theory train yet, but I'm definitely watching from the train station at this point.

bad pf calls happen every game

just dont let mike white happen

13 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

He has to be leading the league with drawn PI lol.

i have no idea what to do about that rule. they're calling them by the letter of the law, but there's no way offenses should be hugely rewarded for a garbage throw. it's tough because sometimes you do have a situation where a defender is beat and tackles the receiver to prevent a touchdown, and in that instance it does make sense as a spot foul. but when the QB heaves up a duck that draws the WR straight into the DB, and you get 50 yards out of that? come on.