Will the league suspend Aaron Rodgers?

Matts4313

Do you believe additional punishment in the form of a suspension is coming?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe additional punishment in the form of a suspension is coming?

• Yes - additional punishment including suspension
    • Yes - additional punishment, but only a fine to Rodgers (or Packers)
    • No - no additional punishment will come from the league office

So normally I dont watch sports media, but on Reddit the Skip/Shannon segment on Aaron Rodgers was posted and it was actually pretty spot on imo. They essentially called him a fraud and pointed out that he (and by extension, the Packers) have very likely been skirting the Covid protocols. Which brings me to this tweet:

So here is my question to you all: What do you think the aftermath will be from this whole "immunized but not vaccinated" scenario? 

Side note: If you want to discuss Covid - do it here (<== thats a link to the covid thread, it looks weird bolded). This thread is about the NFL's response to this situation.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

Apparently the NFL can only fine a player - for the first time they violate the policy, up to a max of 50K.   They have to be on their 2nd offence to start talking missing games 0 for conduct detrimental to league/team.

Now, it's pretty obvious A-Rod violated the policy many times, and cameras could show this.  But the league will probably go the fine route.

The team, on the other hand - is in big trouble.   The policy's language leaves it to teams to enforce.   We saw teams lose 6th-7th round picks and fined 500K - could easily see a Day 2 pick and 7-figure fine this time.   Honestly, it's the only way they're going to get the players and teams to treat it seriously.   At the very least, a 6-figure fine is coming to the team, but picks wouldn't surprise me (just a matter of whether it's an impact pick or not).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Should they? Yes and no.

His conduct raised risk of various levels of injury to players, clubs, the media, and beyond.

But I think this makes the league look worse. Where else do they allow teams to self regulate on the honor system? Any other situation? But enforcing protocols for a health crisis the league is less vigilant than they are about those for performance enhancing drugs or substance abuse?

Perhaps the Pack allowed this to happen, but the league allowed them to allow it to happen.

Just so it’s clear the league protocol is clear - first time offenses get a player fine up to 50k.  It’s not a debate.  It can’t go higher.   

It can be argued Rodgers violated the policy multiple times but that’s unlikely to fly given the league or team didn’t intervene.   That’s where the team has more risk.  

It’s actually available for the public to view: 

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-nflpa-covid-19-protocols-for-the-2021-regular-season

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

All I see are fines at the most. Each facility has cameras and the NFL has access to those videos thats how they catch teams who are breaking covid protocol. Players have to show proof that they have 1 of the 3 main vaccines in order to follow the guidelines. They watch the tape he isnt following the unvaccinated protocols the player gets a fine. I do not see how the team gets anything but a fine as the NFL has just been as complicit with Rodgers on this as the organization has been. 

People getting hung up saying he is gone after this year because this is the final straw is laughable. he is one of 8-10 qbs in the league you just dont throw away. look how many qbs fail and to have a guy who has been consistent in taking the team to a conference championship the last 2 years possibly 3 this year is just ridiculous. Throwing out the debate of vaccine for or against or selfishness by not doing it is a personal preference and political. The fact is he is a top tier qb and has been performing on a high level you just dont let him walk because of this as you know that the qb position pretty much dictates whether or not you get a shot at a championship. All other positions you can argue and move on from but your not going to move him for someone who is of lesser talent then rodgers, it would be the start to the end of your HC or GM career. 

• Like 1