GM-HC options

Rolni

19 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What are your thoughts on some outside candidates like Joe Brady (32) from Carolina or Mike McDaniel (38) from SF?  They both appear to be bright, young minds. 

I don't know much about them but know Brady was in serious HC contention for a few teams last offseason and McDaniel has worked his way up to OC under KS and is a Yale graduate.  

Could work I guess, but neither guy seems like a sure bet.

Brady at least has his O installed, however he is not that successfull with it.

McDaniel is not even calling plays and is working under Shannahan, who is the master mind there...

I really would like a quality GM hire by Mark Davis and then I would like Davis to sit back and let his GM work.

I hope he learned it from the McKenzie-JDR days that it is not working well if the GM and the HC has to report to the owner separately.

Hopefully hires a GM search firm or something like that and do not only reach out to a few ex-Raiders executives, coaches or simply talks with Gruden about it :) (not totally joking here...)

That is reported that he really hated the Dennis Allen hire from RM and that is why he was more and more involved in the HC search, but hopefully he can start again and trust his GM and let him work. I guess any potent GM candidate would want that anyway...I guess we can measure a lot about his approach by the GM hire (or keeping MM for that matter).

It would also be nice if MM or RB wouldn't have to fire themselves after the last game this time.

I hope MD learned from his past mistakes and acts like a professional owner, leader.

When it comes to HC I would love to have a young, creative guy, who can build up the culture, but as some of you pointed out that is a pretty big task :)

I would take a good football guy, who is a good, honest person and then help him build up the culture. It shouldn't be a one man show anyway.

We need a quality GM with a strong support and work room from the owner.

Then we need a quality football mind and quality person as HC.

The GM and the HC then should go out and build up the best coaching staff they can. By this point I hope they will consider keeping Bradley and his staff and don't make a pride question about it. I honestly doubt they will be able to find a much better staff and according to every account the players love them and we could use at least some continuity anyway. Then again I wouldn't force Bradley on my GM or my HC if I were Mark. I would challenge them to find a truly better option or keep them if he gives them the best option.

I would like to see an offensive HC, but wouldn't rule out a guy like Eberflus from the process just because he is a D guy.

I would really like to hire a guy and HC who has his own scheme and showed before that he can build, adapt and also call plays. That would be important for the other sides coordinator as well. What I mean by that is if we hire an offesnive HC I would want a DC, who has playcalling, scheme building experience. This is my Paul Guenther rule... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Joe Hortiz would be an amazing hire.

While I like the idea of hiring from a winning organization. The exact reason why that is a great idea is why that would not happen. The Ravens are one of the best ran organizations in football. Hortiz has been with them his entire career. He's the right hand man to Decosta, who was the right hand man to Newsome. There is lineage with this organization. They protect their own.

Hortiz would not entertain leaving the front office of a world-class organization to work for a rube like Mark Davis.

This is why the next GM will have some sort of Raider background. It's all Davis can attract. Afterthoughts or guys who had some ties to the organization. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/24/gameplan-annual-future-general-manager-list

On this page from last year there is a guy from the raiders categorized "rising name to watch":

DuJuan Daniels

Do you guys know something about his work, which made him on this list?  He has been a Scout for the Patriots before.
I don't hate the idea of fill up the GM-Role internally, if he has the skills for the position.

But then I would a HC who had success as HC in the NFL before.

I'm worried Mark is just gonna hire Marcel Recce as GM. Its such a Raider thing to do. I kinda hope Mayock just stays for now because I have ZERO faith in Mark Davis to hire a good GM. Like why would any of these up and coming guys wanna work for Mark Davis? Not that he's horrible but idk.. Unless you know Mark and like him... I don't think someone like a Joe Hortiz or Dan Morgan is coming to work for Mark Davis, I don't see it. when he has a track record of not paying his home grown free agents and rumors he can't afford to, its kind of alarming. Mark might be best off keeping Mayock who may be able to land Doud Pederson as coach maybe even David Shaw. 

And this is our typical luck, to need a good HC candidate, and we’re really scratching our collective heads on this one.... and possibly needing a good GM, and again, we’re scratching our collective heads on this one.....lmao and smh!!  I’m at least intrigued by Shaw, Hackett is interesting and has bloodlines. But basically, there is no stand out candidate at this point....no bueno!!!

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

While I like the idea of hiring from a winning organization. The exact reason why that is a great idea is why that would not happen. The Ravens are one of the best ran organizations in football. Hortiz has been with them his entire career. He's the right hand man to Decosta, who was the right hand man to Newsome. There is lineage with this organization. They protect their own.

Hortiz would not entertain leaving the front office of a world-class organization to work for a rube like Mark Davis.

This is why the next GM will have some sort of Raider background. It's all Davis can attract. Afterthoughts or guys who had some ties to the organization. 

Money talks and 10 years 30 million would do the trick.

On 11/23/2021 at 12:21 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we had a tech CEO, I can almost guarantee we'd be good in 2-3 years. Mark is not a smart guy and isn't very good at anything. He just fell into this gig.

He got one of the best stadium deals I've ever seen......... Have to give some credit for that, no?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Hortiz is currently the co-director of player personnel and like the 5th in command in the Ravens front office. He's probably making around $400K and could potentially move into a position where he'd be making $2M+ and be the head honcho. Outside of the huge increase in salary I think he'd consider it because he'd finally receive a chance to be the guy in control rather than just a cog in a front office. We've had a number of GM's come in and fail but if he were to come in and succeed I think it'd do wonders for his reputation around the league. Mark has never seemed to be an owner that wants any type of control and trusted Reggie/Jon/Mayock to make roster decisions so if he were to come here I'd guess he would take a hands off approach with him as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The only thing that compels me to have faith in this offseason is the fact that Davis has to nail it. Vegas is new to the NFL scene and they need to monetize it. The NFL needs a winning franchise in Vegas and the pressure will be on Davis. 

Yeah I mean we also have a few corner stone pieces with Miller, Crosby, Waller, and a couple of the other defensive players so it's not like we're a total lost cause. I think the fact we have a brand new stadium/facilities is also going to be appealing to potential coach/gm candidates. 

14 hours ago, raidersedge said:

I'm worried Mark is just gonna hire Marcel Recce as GM. Its such a Raider thing to do. I kinda hope Mayock just stays for now because I have ZERO faith in Mark Davis to hire a good GM. Like why would any of these up and coming guys wanna work for Mark Davis? Not that he's horrible but idk.. Unless you know Mark and like him... I don't think someone like a Joe Hortiz or Dan Morgan is coming to work for Mark Davis, I don't see it. when he has a track record of not paying his home grown free agents and rumors he can't afford to, its kind of alarming. Mark might be best off keeping Mayock who may be able to land Doud Pederson as coach maybe even David Shaw. 

I think you guys are being way too harsh on Mark. He hired Reggie McKenzie who was someone that had a ton of experience working in one of the best front offices in the NFL before he took over for us. McKenzie definitely had his flaws but he was named the 2016 NFL Executive of the year and drafted the three best players we've actually hit on in the first round in Mack, Cooper, and Kolton. The Jon Gruden hire wasn't great but I can understand the reasoning as we needed something to generate some buzz around the team before we moved into a new market. And while Mayock hasn't really panned out almost everyone thought it was a good hire at the time.

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

While you are probably right on this, the one chance we or another team with Hortiz have is that Decosta is young and just recently got the gig, so Hortiz will have to wait super long in order to take over there and if we assume he wants a GM job, then he will have to jump ship.