GM-HC options

Rolni

41 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He won back to back and played for a three peat. 

Wasn't every game that Reggie Bush played in consider lost by the NCAA. I'm too lazy to look it up but I think they took away the national championship and the heisman

25 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Wasn't every game that Reggie Bush played in consider lost by the NCAA. I'm too lazy to look it up but I think they took away the national championship and the heisman

They revoked the 04 championship for those who want to recognize such revocations lol. 

Still has the 03 championship though. The titular one, at least. 

Man...I don't miss the BCS mess lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

He was an NFL guy first, and just happened to be so damn good he joined the gilded duo of Switzer and Johnson in one of the most prestigious categories a HC can get into. 

Dude is a different breed of HC. Too bad we decided to give Cable the HC job in 2010 instead of pursuing Carroll. Who knows what would've happened. 

The Seattle job was appealing to Pete because he was also given control over their personnel decisions, Al Davis was never going to play second fiddle to anyone. 

I'm not sure if Harbaugh would leave Michigan but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, especially if they end up winning the national championship this year. Michigan was pretty average when Harbaugh took over and they haven't won a Big 10 title since 2004 or a national title since 1997. If he's able to accomplish both this season there's really nothing else for him to accomplish as a college coach.

And I think for a guy like Harbaugh who has had success in the NFL but lost in the Super Bowl our job would be appealing. His brother won a super bowl and I'd guess he wants to win one as well. Not to mention the only reason he even left the 49ers was because he didn't get along with their front office. If he took over for us he'd basically be able to run the show and bring in whoever he wanted. It also doesn't hurt that he was an assistant coach for us when we were actually good during the Gannon era.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Seattle job was appealing to Pete because he was also given control over their personnel decisions, Al Davis was never going to play second fiddle to anyone. 

I'm not sure if Harbaugh would leave Michigan but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, especially if they end up winning the national championship this year. Michigan was pretty average when Harbaugh took over and they haven't won a Big 10 title since 2004 or a national title since 1997. If he's able to accomplish both this season there's really nothing else for him to accomplish as a college coach.

And I think for a guy like Harbaugh who has had success in the NFL but lost in the Super Bowl our job would be appealing. His brother won a super bowl and I'd guess he wants to win one as well. Not to mention the only reason he even left the 49ers was because he didn't get along with their front office. If he took over for us he'd basically be able to run the show and bring in whoever he wanted. It also doesn't hurt that he was an assistant coach for us when we were actually good during the Gannon era.

Yup. 

I hated the Gruden hire because they were giving him the power they did. Ironically, had we offered the same to Harbaugh....I would've been perfectly happy. 

Harbs wasn't the problem in SF, Trent Baalke was. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yup. 

I hated the Gruden hire because they were giving him the power they did. Ironically, had we offered the same to Harbaugh....I would've been perfectly happy. 

Same... Which was even more ridiculous given Gruden's track record in Tampa where he left them a talentless mess. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Same... Which was even more ridiculous given Gruden's track record in Tampa where he left them a talentless mess. 

Mind boggling, isn't it? 

I mean, don't get me wrong, SF was a mess when Harbs left, but I place a lot of that on Baalke. 

I would've understood Gruden if he had some long track record of success, but he doesn't. He had a small window here and bounced to Tampa, where he coached Dungy's team to a Superbowl. Then he proceeded to **** the bed for the remainder of his tenure. Why he was so highly sought after at all was always beyond me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yup. 

The 49ers hadn't had a winning season or made the playoffs in 8 years before they hired Harbaugh. In his first 3 seasons they won 36 games and made it to the NFC championship game each year including one Super Bowl season. When he showed up at Stanford they were coming off of an 1-11 season and by year 5 they were 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. When he took over at Michigan they were coming off of a 5-7 season and in 7 they're on the verge of their first Big 10 title since 2004 and potentially their first national title since 1997.

He's a great coach that has shown he can build a winning culture in college and the NFL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The 49ers hadn't had a winning season or made the playoffs in 8 years before they hired Harbaugh. In his first 3 seasons they won 36 games and made it to the NFC championship game each year including one Super Bowl season. When he showed up at Stanford they were coming off of an 1-11 season and by year 5 they were 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. When he took over at Michigan they were coming off of a 5-7 season and in 7 they're on the verge of their first Big 10 title since 2004 and potentially their first national title since 1997.

He's a great coach that has shown he can build a winning culture in college and the NFL.

Yup but he will only use the NFL rumors for pay raises like nick Saban been doing. He not leaving Michigan. The office politics of the NFL and its owners is something he despise I believe.  He has it made in Ann Arbor. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mind boggling, isn't it? 

I mean, don't get me wrong, SF was a mess when Harbs left, but I place a lot of that on Baalke. 

I would've understood Gruden if he had some long track record of success, but he doesn't. He had a small window here and bounced to Tampa, where he coached Dungy's team to a Superbowl. Then he proceeded to **** the bed for the remainder of his tenure. Why he was so highly sought after at all was always beyond me. 

A lot of people thought I was crazy to not want Gruden as a head coach.

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

A lot of people thought I was crazy to not want Gruden as a head coach.

A lot fans IMO loved the nostalgia of bringing Gruden back. I was against it as well but I would see how the offense looks in the first half of the season and be like ok I was wrong. 

20 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Yup but he will only use the NFL rumors for pay raises like nick Saban been doing. He not leaving Michigan. The office politics of the NFL and its owners is something he despise I believe.  He has it made in Ann Arbor. 

Saban failed horribly as an NFL head coach, Harbaugh has shown he can succeed in the NFL. If he were to be hired I'd assume it would be under similar conditions to what Gruden received so he would have full control. He has it made at Michigan right now but they were 2-4 last season and Ohio State has dominated the conference forever. The NIL is going to make recruiting extremely different going forward as well.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Saban failed horribly as an NFL head coach, Harbaugh has shown he can succeed in the NFL. If he were to be hired I'd assume it would be under similar conditions to what Gruden received so he would have full control. He has it made at Michigan right now but they were 2-4 last season and Ohio State has dominated the conference forever. The NIL is going to make recruiting extremely different going forward as well.

Well after the gruden debacle, I don't think Mark is doing that again any time soon.  Don't matter anyway cause harbaugh isn't going any where. 

25 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

A lot fans IMO loved the nostalgia of bringing Gruden back. I was against it as well but I would see how the offense looks in the first half of the season and be like ok I was wrong. 

At the time we had just dealt with Del Rio, Allen, Jackson, Cable, etc.