GM-HC options

Rolni

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Eh. I work around a lot of people who are really smart. Even the blind squirrel finds the nut sometimes.

Regardless though we have a brand new stadium, state of the art facilities, a ton of roster/cap flexibility, and all of our draft picks. Not to mention we're now located in the fastest growing urban market in the country in a state with no state income taxes. People give Mark a ton of flack but from everything that I've seen he seems to be a very hands off owner that allows whoever he hires have total control over coaching hires, draft picks, and personnel decisions. We saw it with both Reggie McKenzie and Jon Gruden, unfortunately they were just terrible at their jobs. I also think it was harder to recruit GM's/coaches/players in Oakland then it will be in Vegas, we're an attraction now. 

For a perspective GM that's looking to take the next step in their career, having full control over our roster decisions and coaching hire will definitely be appealing, imo. And in regards to people not being interested in leaving good organizations in lesser roles to be a GM, I think that's totally false. It's just like being a head coach, that's the ultimate goal for all of these guys and the pinnacle of their profession. Just last off-season we saw Brad Holmes leave the Rams front office to become the Lions GM and Nick Caserio leave the Patriots front office to become the Texans GM.

Mark showed with the Gruden hire that he's willing to pay the price to get a guy. And I think for a perspective GM our opening provides things that are very intriguing. The first being that we're not really tied into any players on big contracts long-term so they could get their guys into the building very quickly. And the second being that after guys like McKenzie, Gruden, and Mayock have failed here, if you are the guy that turns the ship around for us, you will be viewed like a god.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Rolni said:

While you are probably right on this, the one chance we or another team with Hortiz have is that Decosta is young and just recently got the gig, so Hortiz will have to wait super long in order to take over there and if we assume he wants a GM job, then he will have to jump ship.

High profile executives left roles with the 49ers, Rams, and Patriots to take GM jobs with the Jaguars, Lions, and Texans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Eh. I work around a lot of people who are really smart. Even the blind squirrel finds the nut sometimes.

Nah, not with the self interest, egos, corruption and everyone wanting a slice of the pie in the NFL and Vegas. Mark has made some bad decisions certainly but he led the charge on an unbelievably favourable deal. Massive credit for that. Mark's trouble is he is too agreeable I believe, I think he's a good guy though maybe naïve.

42 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Mark's trouble is he is too agreeable I believe, I think he's a good guy though maybe naïve.

Agreed. Most NFL owners were successful in other fields and then decided to buy a team because they had an interest in being a part of the NFL. Mark inherited the team from Al so he never really had a ton of experience at the top of a large company or running an NFL franchise. I think his biggest downfall thus far is that he has hired the wrong people because he had a relationship with them during a previous stint with the Raiders. If Mark wants to be hands off that's fine but he needs to get the right people into the building if it's going to work. He's definitely naive, I mean Gruden failed in Tampa Bay and was out of the league for years before Mark decided to pay him $100M and hand him the keys to the organization. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Joe Hortiz and Jim Harbaugh

Do they have a connection other then that John Harbaugh works with Hortiz to some extent?

Are there any indicates that Jim wants to come back to the NFL and leave Michigan?

Do we really want Jim on board? I mean his SF team looked weared out by the end of his time...

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Nah, not with the self interest, egos, corruption and everyone wanting a slice of the pie in the NFL and Vegas. Mark has made some bad decisions certainly but he led the charge on an unbelievably favourable deal. Massive credit for that. Mark's trouble is he is too agreeable I believe, I think he's a good guy though maybe naïve

I wouldn't say he made bad decisions, just that they didn't pan out. I hated Reggie at the end of this tenor but he was highly qualified and a rising star when he was hired. Gruden was bring the team along, slower than I wanted but it was going in the right direction. 

No one could foresee Ferrell being a bust ( I know he was over drafted but he still should have been a quality player) and the Ruggs DWI.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Nah, not with the self interest, egos, corruption and everyone wanting a slice of the pie in the NFL and Vegas. Mark has made some bad decisions certainly but he led the charge on an unbelievably favourable deal. Massive credit for that. Mark's trouble is he is too agreeable I believe, I think he's a good guy though maybe naïve

I wouldn't say he made bad decisions, just that they didn't pan out. I hated Reggie at the end of this tenor but he was highly qualified and a rising star when he was hired. Gruden was bring the team along, slower than I wanted but it was going in the right direction. 

No one could foresee Ferrell being a bust ( I know he was over drafted but he still should have been a quality player) and the Ruggs DWI.

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

Do they have a connection other then that John Harbaugh works with Hortiz to some extent?

Are there any indicates that Jim wants to come back to the NFL and leave Michigan?

Do we really want Jim on board? I mean his SF team looked weared out by the end of his time...

I don't think he's done with the NFL:

3 NFC Championship Games and a lost Superbowl (against his brother) as HC and one lost Superbowl as QBs coach. 

I think he would like to prove that he can win the big game. 

And who would be a better fit than a (former) local rival of the team that fired him after internal power battles. 

Maybe he demands as much power as Gruden in personnel decisions. But at least you can give him an GM that he likes to work with and an owner which doesn't get involved to much in the football operations. 

And again. His worst season in SF (8-8) would still be our best in the last years. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

I'd assume that Hortiz and Harbaugh have a relationship considering he has worked with John in Baltimore for years. Although I don't think Harbaugh will realistically leave Michigan. I'd love to have him though, the 49ers had one bad year and they went 8-8, lol. 

If we did hire Hortiz an under the radar name that I'd consider is Greg Roman, the Ravens offensive coordinator. He was instrumental in developing Lamar Jackson/Collin Kapernick and even had Tyrod Taylor playing at a pro bowl level.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

If you over draft a player in the top 5 by 20 picks even if he lives up to being a 20-25 ranked player that is a bust.  Ferrell not testing, his lack of athleticism in game film, and the players around him at Clemson should have knocked him down the draft board.  Based off of what I saw in games I am not taking Ferrell until the late teens.  Him not testing knocks him down even further.  Just a stupid decision and the team ignoring huge red flags.  Driving 150+ miles per hour after drinking is not something that just started the past year and a half.  That is some serious risk taking and the team should have come up with some red flags during there background checks.  On top of that there were 4 top WRs still on the board at 12 and we were going to pick again at 19.  If we wanted good value you wait to see who falls to 19.  Any of the 4 at 19 is better value than Ruggs at 12.  That combined with the red flags they should have uncovered would have led me to pass on Ruggs at 12.  He still could have been there at 19.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Most NFL owners were successful in other fields and then decided to buy a team because they had an interest in being a part of the NFL. Mark inherited the team from Al so he never really had a ton of experience at the top of a large company or running an NFL franchise. I think his biggest downfall thus far is that he has hired the wrong people because he had a relationship with them during a previous stint with the Raiders. If Mark wants to be hands off that's fine but he needs to get the right people into the building if it's going to work. He's definitely naive, I mean Gruden failed in Tampa Bay and was out of the league for years before Mark decided to pay him $100M and hand him the keys to the organization. 

I was skeptical about the move when it happened but the biggest failing was giving him a 10-year contract (which we miraculously got out of, thanks to him). Let's not pretend like Gruden wasn't a highly sought after figure at the time, not just by half of Raiders fans but within league/college circles

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd assume that Hortiz and Harbaugh have a relationship considering he has worked with John in Baltimore for years. Although I don't think Harbaugh will realistically leave Michigan. I'd love to have him though, the 49ers had one bad year and they went 8-8, lol. 

If we did hire Hortiz an under the radar name that I'd consider is Greg Roman, the Ravens offensive coordinator. He was instrumental in developing Lamar Jackson/Collin Kapernick and even had Tyrod Taylor playing at a pro bowl level.

Greg Roman is a really good offensive mind. He is a good, but specialized OC IMO.

I would be highly skeptical about him as HC...

COWER bring back the chin!!! LOL Ahhh no...No more out of coaching for a long time coaches.  Harbaugh did great rebuilding Alex Smith if he takes Carr to another level (consistent) then PROFITS!!!  Honestly I wouldn't mind a lesser name but not one on a team stacked with talent. 

OR

Just hire a GM and let them do their job.