WEEK 11: 5-5 Denver Broncos vs. 6-4 LA Chargers - Sunday 2:05 MST/4:05 EST

broncos67

On 11/29/2021 at 12:55 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

I guess I don’t share the optimism as regards the coaching staff. If we win 3 more and get to 9 wins there is a chance we sneak in as the 7 seed. You can’t fire a staff when they make the playoffs absent a major scandal (or a roster like 2014 after which Elway fired everyone to bring in Kubes). 

This is the issue w/ a "playoff mandate" for a coaching staff.  We may somehow stumble stupidly into the 7 seed bc of an unusual combination of favorable external factors (Gruden, Wentz, this bizarre LAC decline, etc.) but none of that is a vote of confidence for Fangio's stewardship of this org.  Anyone who knows what they're watching knows this is not a functional well-run team and, to the points made earlier, that does matter for recruiting FAs and convincing vet QBs to waive trade clauses.  Unless he leads a deep playoff run there needs to be a new HC in 2022. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, champ11 said:

My opinion on Sutton is that he’s like 75-80% this season and contract is really an investment for the future. Could end up being an amazing, amazing deal if he gets back to his prior athleticism. But overall I haven’t been very impressed this year 

I haven't either, but there's just such little creativity in the offense that I think it's near impossible to judge any WR at the moment.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I kinda wish we could just demote Fangio to DC but that’s not happening, sadly.

Maybe hire a "co-HC?" Then slowly phase out his HC duties so that he can just focus on the defense?? Like isn't that what he does not. What does Donatelo really do as the current DC? I think he just hangs out, drinks coffee, and eats breakfast burritos. 

17 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I kinda wish we could just demote Fangio to DC but that’s not happening, sadly.

Well, speculation prior to these last 6 games seems a bit premature but here's a possible scenario if we fall on our butts. 

We retain Fangio as HC and his entire defensive staff. No sense blowing up the 3rd rated defense in the NFL and a fairly amazing player development factory. Nothing wrong with our D. We've dropped from 28 ppg last year to 18 this year. 

We fire the entire offensive staff except Munch and Kup They've been churning out O lineman the same way we keep churning out LB's. We hire Klint Kubiak from Minnesota with an OC/asst HC title. The offensive talent on this team would have him drooling. 

Let Paton work his draft magic, and Klint get everybody on board. It'd be an easy system transition. Then, if Teddy can't get it done, pick up Cousins for 2023. He'll be a FA and already knows the offense.

Anyway, how 'bout that?

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

Well, speculation prior to these last 6 games seems a bit premature but here's a possible scenario if we fall on our butts. 

We retain Fangio as HC and his entire defensive staff. No sense blowing up the 3rd rated defense in the NFL and a fairly amazing player development factory. Nothing wrong with our D. We've dropped from 28 ppg last year to 18 this year. 

We fire the entire offensive staff except Munch and Kup They've been churning out O lineman the same way we keep churning out LB's. We hire Klint Kubiak from Minnesota with an OC/asst HC title. The offensive talent on this team would have him drooling. 

Let Paton work his draft magic, and Klint get everybody on board. It'd be an easy system transition. Then, if Teddy can't get it done, pick up Cousins for 2023. He'll be a FA and already knows the offense.

Anyway, how 'bout that?

Perfect..but I do like Azzanni...out of the offensive groups he seems to get the most out of the WR...look at Hinton, and I bet Seth Williams is developing just fine.

• Like 1

I’d be pretty upset if the plan was another year of Teddy to see if it works (it won’t) before signing Kirk Cousins to a big deal. That’s about the most unappealing path forward at QB I can think of. 

I’m fine with the Kubiak kid, although my preference if we go back to the same Kubiak/Shanahan well would be to bring in Mike McDaniel from SF.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’d be pretty upset if the plan was another year of Teddy to see if it works (it won’t) before signing Kirk Cousins to a big deal. That’s about the most unappealing path forward at QB I can think of. 

I’m fine with the Kubiak kid, although my preference if we go back to the same Kubiak/Shanahan well would be to bring in Mike McDaniel from SF.

Yeah Mike McDaniel is a guy I like a lot too. 

Fangio has absolutely no business being back barring an AFC Championship, you cannot demote the president of a company to VP and expect everyone to fall in line, that’s how dissent happens. If you want a Fangio style defense without Fangio then should’ve fired him a year ago and hired Staley but we missed that boat. 

• Like 1

People won't like it, but if (huge if, I know) Aaron Rodgers was to come here, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Vic Fangio was retained.

Rodgers knows all too well how good of a Defensive Coach Vic is. He played (and struggled at times) a ton against Vic when he was at the Bears.

If Rodgers is given the opportunity to hand pick the Offensive playcaller (and thus the scheme), whilst getting a significant input into the weekly gameplan, do you really think he's going to be bothered about who the HC is? I don't.

To be honest, you could apply that same logic to any of the top tier vet QB's we're being linked with.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

People won't like it, but if (huge if, I know) Aaron Rodgers was to come here, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Vic Fangio was retained.

Rodgers knows all too well how good of a Defensive Coach Vic is. He played (and struggled at times) a ton against Vic when he was at the Bears.

If Rodgers is given the opportunity to hand pick the Offensive playcaller (and thus the scheme), whilst getting a significant input into the weekly gameplan, do you really think he's going to be bothered about who the HC is? I don't.

To be honest, you could apply that same logic to any of the top tier vet QB's we're being linked with.

Good take. 

Personally I think Fangio will be here next year regardless. He's the best DC we've had since Joe Collier and is in a class by himself with player development on the defensive side of the ball. I'd think, for a QB chasing a ring, Vic's kind of a huge drawing card. 

51 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Good take. 

Personally I think Fangio will be here next year regardless. He's the best DC we've had since Joe Collier and is in a class by himself with player development on the defensive side of the ball. I'd think, for a QB chasing a ring, Vic's kind of a huge drawing card. 

Wade Phillips for one was far better than Fangio. In fact I’m not sure there’s a defensive mind in football that’s done less with more talent than Fangio has in Denver. 

• Like 1