Browns WR Josh Gordon Reinstated ... Will start Sunday

bucsfan333

10 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Gosh, if only he had control over his hands, he could've prevented them from throwing that garbage down his chute once twice a dozen times two dozen times

Yeah this is a Gordon issue not a "others" issue. It's easy to go off of the path, probably easier than staying on the path but there is a path for a reason and he can see it as well as anyone else can. If he chooses to get careless or lazy that is on him, no one pushed him off of the path.

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If you don't even attempt to be funny with insults it just comes across as trolling. Pretty much the whole state of Pennsylvania (Steelers/Eagles fans) have been yahoo comment section trolling the Browns recently. All I ask is that you make an attempt to make it funny.

Its the easy thing for trolls to do, people like him lives are defined by the team they are fans of. This guy is so pathetic, its pathetic...

This is why no one likes or respects him

15 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

The one thing that has always given me hope that Josh would be able to turn things around is that Josh is a really intelligent person with his heart in the right place

I agree. He is a smart guy, I wonder if he is quiet self centered at times. 

Hopefully he can get over his drug problem and build on his career and play 5 more amazing years. 

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Gosh, if only he had control over his hands, he could've prevented them from throwing that garbage down his chute once twice a dozen times two dozen times

I mean yes.  Ultimately he is responsible for his actions.  Its pretty shameful and disgusting that grown adults were covering up a kids drug problem for their own personal gain though.  If adults had been adults for him when he was a kid he might have gotten straight earlier and not have needed three chances to possibly have an NFL career.

Kids make mistakes.  They make even more mistakes when the role models around them at a young age are piss-poor

6 hours ago, theJ said:

I'm not sure if that says more about Gordon or the Browns receivers haha.  I think i mostly agree, i'm just a harder sell that a guy who's been out of the league for 3 years battling drug addictions is going to be able to perform at a top level right away.  Whether he's half a step a slower, his routes are just a little sloppy, he's slow to process the offense, etc.  A million little variables, but if he's not as sharp on a few of them, defenses will quickly take him out of the game.

I know it's hard to imagine a guy like Gordon being anything less than what we saw the last time he played.  But it happens all the time.  It happens to guys who are healthy and don't miss years of service in between games.  So i'm just really skeptical, and hopefully understandably so, that he's going to be the weapon he was previously.

I'm not trying to be hard on the guy or suggest that i'm not rooting for him.  I feel bad for the Browns and their fans, and hope Gordon can step back onto the field and play well.  He was fun to watch in 2013.  

Josh Gordon didn't beat nobody with good routes. 

there is one person that beats Josh Gordon, it is the man in the mirror. 

Has he matured emotionally and mentally from when he was 22 years old is the question we should ask. 

On 11/3/2017 at 12:39 AM, Thomas5737 said:

This appears to make it sound like the Browns will retain him (no real reason not to): "As emphasized at today's meeting, everyone -- including Josh's teammates and coaches, the Browns' ownership and organization, the Program professionals and all of us at the league office -- want him to have every opportunity to resume his career and to be successful in the NFL,"

Wasnt that what Goodell said about Gordon. I dont know if it means the Browns will retain him. Just Goodell speaking about the situation and the team who owns his rights.

What would be the first date that Gordon is legally able to set foot on the Browns facilities?

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Wasnt that what Goodell said about Gordon. I dont know if it means the Browns will retain him. Just Goodell speaking about the situation and the team who owns his rights.

What would be the first date that Gordon is legally able to set foot on the Browns facilities?

If the Browns weren't retaining him why would his coaches and his teammates be included? If they weren't going to be his coaches and teammates then you wouldn't call them his coaches and teammates I wouldn't think.

Nov. 20th I believe.

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If the Browns weren't retaining him why would his coaches and his teammates be included? If they weren't going to be his coaches and teammates then you wouldn't call them his coaches and teammates I wouldn't think.

Nov. 20th I believe.

Cause goodell doesn’t know what he is doing or saying half the time. 

Could care less if he chooses to do what he wants to do. However there are rules if he wants to be an NFL player. I hope he can follow the rules and be an example to younger people. If he can't I still could care less. RESPECT is EARNED. He had my respect for just being a person, but lost it with BS talk. Actions speak louder than words. Be who you want to be JG. Hopefully we all can eat crow as he holds up Lombardi's and gets his jacket. That's on him and I washed my hands of it and thought he was already out of the NFL forever. So USE the public view of you to FUEL YOU to get the crow cooking. Good luck man...

On 11/3/2017 at 12:06 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Its the easy thing for trolls to do, people like him lives are defined by the team they are fans of. This guy is so pathetic, its pathetic...

This is why no one likes or respects him

He's been acting like that on this website for a decade... no reason to expect it to change...

On 11/1/2017 at 8:06 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Because it's A) not just marijuana and he's openly admitted to that it requires literally a 5 second google search and B) This board and it's ability to signal boost it is utterly irrelevant. 

Mocking addicts for being addicts is a ****ed up thing to do to people. Period. It doesn't matter what all else, these are people with a problem, especially people, like Josh Gordon, who are just trying to get help and to get better.

I think the majority of animosity comes from the fact that Gordon, on his own account, has to date, only used "help" to "get better" for publicity stunts. Sure, he's admitting now to being an addict. Kudos to him, as the old saying goes, admitting is the first step. 

I don't think people are necessarily mocking him. I think people are simply tired of believing him and defending him. Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me three times kind of thing.

Also, we're talking about a guy who was willing to endanger the lives of people around him. It isn't like he sat at home with a bong, he was out and driving. Sure he only got caught the one time, but lets be realistic enough to acknowledge this was a normal thing for him. That isn't something you just ignore. And some of the statements he's made about his guilty conscience are blatantly self-serving. 

He was kicked out of Baylor and suspended multiple times by the NFL. He was enrolled in their substance abuse program and looked at it as a joke. People get tired of hearing about why it "isn't [my] fault because Coach gave me this or that or my upbringing was rough". Athletes often get numerous passes not afforded to most people and a lot of that is driven by the mentality of "he's 22, 23, 24, 25 and a kid". A 22 year old is an adult who should, regardless of upbringing or entitlements handed to him, know the difference between right and wrong. And you can't expect anyone to believe that NOBODY, no coach, no GM, no teammate, no friend, teacher, confidant, team owner, doctor, lawyer, or preacher ever tried helping him. Sure, plenty of other people let Josh Gordon down besides Josh himself. But that's life. I've been let down by many many more people than not, gotten a ton of poor advice, had friends and associates that did a ton of ignorant and idiotic things but I turned out just fine because I chose to listen to the few that steered me the right way instead of the buying into the hype shown by the majority. And I'd suspect that most people can relate. Between 22 and 25-26, had I done what he did, chances of me having my career in law would be almost non-existent. So I find it hard to feel bad for the guy, given the chances he has squandered. Not to say I wish him ill, I certainly hope for the best, but I understand people's general skepticism. 

I get that he was addicted to drugs and alcohol. I wonder if he isn't a little addicted to the free passes and sense of entitlement of "everything going to be just fine because I'm Josh Gordon" as well. Some of his interview statements come off as very narcissistic. Most people who have dealt with someone being an addict can probably attest to that much. I know I can. In some cases, it isn't enough for some people to simply show up sober. Sobriety is a fluid and short term state of mind, especially if you aren't willing to admit to other problems and seek help accordingly. And I feel like his character issues run much deeper than substance abuse. Point is, I don't see people really mocking him for "being an addict". I see them mocking him (if it is mockery to begin with) for the other flaws that he has that run contrary to the narrative he is spinning in the press. 

That being said, I really do hope the best for him on and off the field. And I agree with you about people who do mock abusers. It isn't a tactic that works. 

On 11/3/2017 at 1:00 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Funny how you didnt whine about your fellow Browns fan trolling me about Haden when all I did was suggest Gordon might be better off in a new setting....but you get triggered my tongue-in-cheek response.  Your sensitivity and bias is evident.

And I mean....as often as your sad attempts at humor go fish white and belly up....I think I am entitled to a dud, myself.   

Do you think cheering for a better team gives you some sort of moral superiority/high ground over fans of bad teams?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21318161/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-admits-use-drugs-alcohol-every-game

Josh Gordon used drugs or alcohol before every NFL game he played, Gordon told the magazine GQ in an interview released Monday.

The Browns wide receiver told GQ that he made taking some substance "a ritual ... before every game."

"We would stay at the team hotel, and then players are allowed to go back home, get what they need and then go to the game," Gordon said. "So I'd leave the hotel early morning, go home, eat breakfast, do my little ritual, whatever it may be, some weed, some alcohol and then go to the game. And then, I'd definitely be partying after every game, win or lose. Every game."

-----------------------

"When I got to the league, I think they had their doubts from the very beginning," Gordon said. "From the day they drafted me, they had to know there was some type of risk involved. I don't think that they specifically knew. But I'm sure they had their doubts. missed a lot of meetings, showed up late a lot of times, eyes were probably bloodshot on many occasions. But I guess you couldn't really draw a definitive conclusion because I thought I was evasive enough. And because nobody told me anything."

I'm a bit surprised that he would have done this so regularly and yet no one in the Browns organization felt the need to step up and try to help this young man get his life together and get help. It seems like all they cared about was his performance on the field. Based on what he has said, it's clear he had (or still has???) a serious problem with substances, and for none of his teammates or coaches to recognize it or reach out to him is rather sad.

He also said he moved to Gainesville, Florida, because he could not take what he called harassment from Browns fans in Cleveland.

"Living in Cleveland, sometimes it could be a nightmare," Gordon said. "I've been harassed, had drinks thrown at me. I've been [followed] in the grocery store, heckled everywhere. At the games, people harassed and heckled my brothers and my mom. [My] brothers got into fights in the stands. Cars [have] been jumped on. Somebody dented the hood of the car. Had to sue a guy and get the money back 'cause he damaged the car. People are throwing money, pennies, to break the windows. So Cleveland was rough, man."

From the article link above. I believe the quote speaks for itself. Feel a lot less sympathy for what the 'fans' have been through with that franchise. Seems like they got what they deserve.

Archived