Week 15 TNF: Kansas City Chiefs 9-4 at Los Angeles Chargers 8-5

Broncofan

Pick the Week 15 TNF and likely AFCW winner!  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins tonight?

Just now, Pats#1 said:

Why do franchises spend so much money on Head Coaches and coordinators when they could just use anyone to read the answers and use the calls the analytics say to use on every play?

Is that what you think the majority of coaching is, just making a decision when to go for it?

You don't seem to understand what analytics are either. The inputs are a combination of historical stats, current team stats (for both teams), and coach estimations at the individual level to make adjustments. Much can be done with just stats but no one has ever claimed everything can. But if you are going to go against the analytics it should be based on something that they don't take into account, not just "intuition" which is completely baseless.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I know Staley was a QB in college but his coaching is all defensive side of the ball. Does anyone know what role he plays in play calling for them in these situations?

He tells Lombardi he wants to go for it, and Lombardi dials up the plays for it.

How many times do you get mad at a coach settling for FGs in a TD game?

This was a TD game.

Both coaches knew it.

• The 4th and 5 was a close call.
  • The 4th and 2 was easy.
  • The 4th and 1 was the same.

I want a coach like Staley over a timid FG loser any day.

Reid had a 4th and 7 and a 4th and 8 when he settled for FGs. The odds are totally different at that distance. He went for it on 4th and 1.

The coaches made the right call on those plays. IMO and the math supports 3 of the 4 calls for sure and maybe the 4th and 5 as well.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

Putting your defense in a great position is one of the reasons you would decide to go for it on 4th and goal, not an unintended side effect, it's why on their first drive I said I'd go for it on 4th and 2 if the play had stood, but not the 4th and 5 they ended up with.

And what if his gut told him "if you get two FGs mahomes is just gonna get a TD to make up for it on the next drive"

I really don’t get the “KC would just score after the FG” with the 25 yard line 4th down try, line of thinking.

If you kick the FG and miss, same effect as not converting…if you make the FG, you kick off and most likely KC gets the ball in the same exact spot. KC would have scored either way if we are going off Field position here.

If you’re saying KC would have scored specifically because Chargers kicked a FG….well idk

Just now, Xenos said:

He tells Lombardi he wants to go for it, and Lombardi dials up the plays for it.

That may be a mistake. Not all plays are equal in chance of success. Some plays have a high enough success probability to go for it with that and others don't. He should obviously be going over that with the coaching staff before the game so there may not be a need to specifically tell him during the game, but you can't make the decision based on analytics or not without knowing what play type you are going to call

GG Chief's, it will be fun to watch this budding rivalry going forward. Possibly in the post season this year.

For my Charger's, the defense needs work, but with more time with Staley and the draft/fa I believe it will improve over time. Changing from Gus Bradley's defense to this is a significant change.

I don't hate the 4th down calls, I just hate the results.

Also, even if we won tonight, I don't doubt for a second we could drop a game against the Raiders or Broncos that would have given the lead back to the Chiefs anyway.

Here's hoping for round 3 in Arrowhead.

P.S. I can't stand people that blame the refs. No, that wasn't DPI.

• Like 2

Just now, LeotheLion said:

The Chargers likely win if they kick FGs. It's a fair criticism. He chased points like the Chiefs offense was going to be a juggernaut. 

In every situation the Chargers forwent kicking it was only to have it remain a 1 score game. You can't assume that if you change the process that the outcome is the same. They only "left 9" points on the field in 3 discrete events that do not necessarily correlate to the same outcome had they chosen to get those points in 3 point intervals. It changes the Chiefs decision making and process.  Reid kicked FG's in the redzone and the end result ended up being the same, if the Chargers kick FG's the process for the Chiefs is different.

You have to analyze it as a series of discrete events, you judge process, not outcome.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Some of y’all still think he’s prime Kelce. Dude shouldn’t be doing that to them lol. 

Hes done it to people this year, his issue has been drops and getting tackled at the line. Chargers played soft and showed what happens when you do