What is Tyler Huntley’s Future?

brownie man

32 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Tyrod with a longer release (so worse Tyrod).

If I'm the Cardinals I offer him top top end backup money to come there. But hell no I don't start him.

He does remind me of Tyrod for sure. But I'm not sure better or worse yet. Kids barely played. But I'm a huge Tyrod fan, for some reason

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’m convinced this dude is at least as good as Tyrod Taylor, and could eventually be much more. 

He’s not a Lamar clone, but I do think he has a skill set that can be very successful. He’s athletic, he’s got a strong arm, and he’s making solid decisions. 

Right now as a Browns fans I’d take him over Baker, and if I’m a QB needy team over all the potential QBs this off-season he could be that diamond in the rough. Dude has played Fantastic this season. I think he might be a franchise QB. 

Thoughts? 

You also thought Kizer was a future stud, so your QB evaluations aren't always perfect.

48 minutes ago, DawgX said:

You also thought Kizer was a future stud, so your QB evaluations aren't always perfect.

I thought Kizer was the right one for us to pick that year over Deshaun and Trubisky. Not over Mahomes though, but I did think we would’ve ruined Mahomes because he wouldn’t have been able to sit. 

I liked Darnold too and maybe it’s because Huntley has good skill position players around him especially with Andrews, but he looks decisive, athletic, and he’s playing with heart and coming back after being down. Which is something Baker doesnt do

3 hours ago, Norm said:

He does remind me of Tyrod for sure. But I'm not sure better or worse yet. Kids barely played. But I'm a huge Tyrod fan, for some reason

This was my comparison I think at the worst his ceiling can be a Tyrod clone maybe take a team like the Bills to the playoffs one and done go home.

18 hours ago, ET80 said:

A backup who can play in an offense such as this. He's not going to back up someone like Matt Stafford or Tom Brady - but in an offense that has QB running elements or an offense that gets the QB rolling to create throwing lanes, he's a solid backup option.

If you're going to try to make this guy a starter, you'll find your REAL starter the following draft after picking 1.1; You're not going to win many games.

I'd make a counter point that every team would be better off with a backup/spot starter who is a "mobile QB". A smart team would be better off trying to steal a game (or a couple series) with a guy you can throw into an offense with a couple simple reads that he can hit competently and also have the option of scrambling for a large gain on a broken play (which will be a lot of the plays if your backup is in). It's a mistake for the Bucs or Rams to choose Blaine Gabbert or the equivalent to have that backup job, even if that's what they typically do.

I don't think we need to seriously engage with suggestions that he is better than a unanimous MVP or is the next great franchise QB. It's great that he's proven he belongs in the NFL as a high quality backup. He was under-appreciated as a prospect that could throw and run in a major conference and (critically) got better every year. He put in the work to make the team and balled out in preseason (had a 5TD game in the last preseason game that no one watched).

18 hours ago, Towerbridge said:

He seems like a better passer than Lamar. Gets rid of the ball quicker

...oof... giveaway that you've not watched him play even one full game... that is literally his biggest flaw

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I'd make a counter point that every team would be better off with a backup/spot starter who is a "mobile QB". A smart team would be better off trying to steal a game (or a couple series) with a guy you can throw into an offense with a couple simple reads that he can hit competently and also have the option of scrambling for a large gain on a broken play (which will be a lot of the plays if your backup is in). It's a mistake for the Bucs or Rams to choose Blaine Gabbert or the equivalent to have that backup job, even if that's what they typically do.

The only downside to this: You have to have a playbook specific to this skillset, and - for this to actually work out - you have to get your first team actually dedicating practice time to get the timing down to make this work. How much practice does Brady or Stafford need? I don't know, but you'd HAVE to put Huntley on the practice field with the 1s to get this sort of offense in a position to where you could depend on it if there was an injury to QB1.

It's a novel idea, and I think we've seen teams implement some of this with older Wildcat/dual QB concepts - but to dedicate an entire strategy surrounding a backup QB to it is a dangerous proposal. You're in essence flipping an identity as soon as there's a sprained knee or bruised shoulder, and that takes time.

35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The only downside to this: You have to have a playbook specific to this skillset, and - for this to actually work out - you have to get your first team actually dedicating practice time to get the timing down to make this work. How much practice does Brady or Stafford need? I don't know, but you'd HAVE to put Huntley on the practice field with the 1s to get this sort of offense in a position to where you could depend on it if there was an injury to QB1.

It's a novel idea, and I think we've seen teams implement some of this with older Wildcat/dual QB concepts - but to dedicate an entire strategy surrounding a backup QB to it is a dangerous proposal. You're in essence flipping an identity as soon as there's a sprained knee or bruised shoulder, and that takes time.

I'd actually argue they need more practice because those offenses rely heavily on timing routes and everyone being on the same page, whereas a Lamar/Huntley offense allows for less timing and more "freedom", which can be both good and bad. Either way, I think when it comes to a backup QB, your backup should fit the system your starter is in.

It never made sense to me that Joe Flacco's backup QB's were:

• Troy Smith
  • Tyrod Taylor

If your starter gets hurt, you have to run a completely different system with those guys OR you're severely limiting what they can do by putting them into a statue pocket-passer offense.

Like, I get it from a veteran standpoint, but taht's why I loved having RGIII as a backup for Lamar, because he fit the scheme AND was a good mentor.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

Tyrod Taylor upside

Realistically, he's a good backup to a team like Baltimore or Arizona or even Chicago

Not sure how long Lamar will be out. If he keeps playing and does well maybe a team will take a chance on him like the Bills did with Taylor, but otherwise, I think he needs to be a backup for a bit longer before anyone bites on him