Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

33 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Really bad to evaluate off of only college film especially since Herbert had already one year under his belt at that point.

I'm just saying what it's wholly possible Rhule, who was back then a college coach himself, could be going off of.  The Panthers team he took over in 2020 pretty quickly picked up Bridgewater on a multi-year deal, so within his capacity of the Panthers, he had no great reason to rookie-scout Herbert. and the only pre-game prep he's had to do on Herbert was ahead of the 2020 Week 3 matchup, where the pocket was having to be shifted a decent amount because the OL was getting blistered.

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Then again, it's whatever you sign I suppose. 

NFL coaching contracts are generally fully guaranteed, meaning that teams are on the hook for paying the remainder of their coach's contract in full if they fire the coach for performance reasons. Teams can usually collect an offset if they fire a coach who goes on to work somewhere else over the remaining years of his deal, but unless the coach is immediately hired at a similar salary elsewhere, teams end up paying their coach millions of dollars to either work for somebody else or not work at all.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32821569/how-rising-college-football-head-coach-salaries-force-nfl-adapt-get-left-behind

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I'm just saying what it's wholly possible Rhule, who was back then a college coach himself, could be going off of.  The Panthers team he took over in 2020 pretty quickly picked up Bridgewater on a multi-year deal, so within his capacity of the Panthers, he had no great reason to rookie-scout Herbert. and the only pre-game prep he's had to do on Herbert was ahead of the 2020 Week 3 matchup, where the pocket was having to be shifted a decent amount because the OL was getting blistered.

They actually did meet with Herbert a couple of times.  Some people think they would have taken him if he fell to the 7th pick. 

46 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Oh really? For some reason I thought coach contracts were fully guaranteed. 

Likely all just depends on the language and structure. I mean, it could have been set up as a 2 year deal with an option after that. Honestly, I'm not even sure how long the contract was initially. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I hope he was compensated well. Raw deal, even if he wasn't cut out to be a head coach

Overall, it was a nice deal for a guy who was probably never going to get a job like that anywhere else.  He's close to retirement, and a nice two-year contract for 7 figures each year would be a pretty good addition to his retirement nest egg.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Overall, it was a nice deal for a guy who was probably never going to get a job like that anywhere else.  He's close to retirement, and a nice two-year contract for 7 figures each year would be a pretty good addition to his retirement nest egg.

That's a good way to look at it. He may very well have gotten exactly what he wanted to get from this. 

• Like 2