Week 16 TNF: San Francisco 49ers (8-6) at Tennessee Titans (9-5)

TecmoSuperJoe

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If there's one thing I'm going to criticize Shanahan besides the lack of 2H adjustments - it's his blind spot with JimmyG.  Come on, that's not on Aiyuk at all, he made the correct read on 4th down, the CB on the outside read the play and was coming off his guy to go to Aiyuk.  It's JimmyG who didn't make that read.   SMH

I don't know, upon the live watch I actually said I wasn't sure and someone else said it was probably just miscommunication. It looks like they got caught in bad timing. Hard for me to really lay that one at Jimmy and I'm pretty critical of him. Really struck my during the live watch as just unfortunate timing

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

TBH those 2 TO's JimmyG were responsible for negates a lot of the positives the 49ers did.   85% of teams who get a 2+ TO margin win the game.    That's such a massive equalizer.    

That game was the epitome of bad Jimmy g-ness. The two ints we're the most Jimmy g-ish ints there are and it's not even the first time he missed juice like that lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

TBH those 2 TO's JimmyG were responsible for negates a lot of the positives the 49ers did.   85% of teams who get a 2+ TO margin win the game.    That's such a massive equalizer.    

100% & thats what the article was saying - the 2 turnovers (along with giving up almost every key 3rd down in the game) killed the Niners chances

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

That game was the epitome of bad Jimmy g-ness. The two ints we're the most Jimmy g-ish ints there are and it's not even the first time he missed juice like that lol

20 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

100% & thats what the article was saying - the 2 turnovers (along with giving up almost every key 3rd down in the game) killed the Niners chances

The sad part is QB depth is so bad he's going to get a starting spot next year - probably won't get the same return as even a Wentz did, because the ceiling is so capped.  But he'll be someone other fanbase's problem to ***** about next year.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

-Creates a diverse run game that really is difficult to counter; and able to use speed/power combos so effectively that pretty much any RB with a certain skill set can succeed (Mostert/Mitchell as elite speed guys).      It's no coincidence that SF can just pick guys off late rounds / UFA for RB seamlessly and even in-season.    Full credit to Shanny there. 

I agree with this why is why I find Shanny The GMs asset usage on running backs completely perplexing and insane lol

Has real difficulty adjusting in-game once D's find a way to exploit a weakness in the gameplan.      It's why I believe he's 1-24 when trailing at halftime by 7 or more points.   If the D counters or just outright beats his ideas coming in, he doesn't counter-punch on the fly nearly as well.   It's also why I believe we see 2H comebacks, once D's figure out how to slow the O down, he doesn't have that in-game counterpunch.

Think that is mostly arrogance, to be honest. I feel like guys like him just believe their their schemes are so sound that eventually they will work. Combine that with the generally conservative nature of his approach and you definitely have a rife scenario for comebacks

Can get too conservative in game management; opting for FG's / punts at times where he needs to be more aggressive.

The Bachelorette season 16, episode 3 recap: You CAN hate on love | EW.com

-FAR too loyal to JimmyG, and can get really attached/biased against players who don't "fit" his idea of what he wants.  There's no way around this one.    This is the hubris that many HC's fall victim to - they start becoming co-GM's, or de-facto GM's.    

it's really weird how out of left field this came. This is the same regime that has refused to do any sort of restructuring on Jimmy's deal, kicked the tires on every possible QB coming available this last off season and then traded multiple first round picks to go up and draft their guy to replace Jimmy. Their actions have been very much about moving on and not tying themselves to him longer than they have to. Jimmy is very well liked so there could be some locker room disruptions they were afraid of. 

It mostly tells me that they just don't feel Lance was ready to come in and play anywhere near the level needed to compete for the playoffs and that is pretty much the extent of it (maybe there's an idea of getting back some of the assets to acquire Lance, I don't know). 

Practically speaking, regardless of what happens this year, Shanny's done enough to see the Lance-2022 plan through.  But make no mistake, barring a deep run into playoffs this year, next year is a make-or-break year for Shanahan and Lance, because the 49ers have pushed their chips all-in with the 3 1sts.   This was the Alex Smith year with JimmyG, and tonight was a microcosm of why SF correctly decided they needed to take a real shot at the elite-level ceiling QB.  The Q is going to be whether Shanahan (and whatever mechanics guy works with Lance this offseason) can unlock that tantalizing physical toolset into a functional QB next year, and then an elite-level talent beyond.     

I've long said that he gets at least the next two. If he bombs, then he'll move on. YOu have an owner who loves him, an owner who is relatively poor (comparatively speaking to other NFL owners), a coach who reportedly had no offset language in his contract and makes quite a bit of money. After 23, a new regime comes in with all of their assets and picks at their disposal, pretty much a decent understanding of what Lance is as a QB, Jed has burned off another year on the contract that he has to pay regardless, etc. It just makes a lot of sense from a clean break perspective. 

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The sad part is QB depth is so bad he's going to get a starting spot next year - probably won't get the same return as even a Wentz did, because the ceiling is so capped.  But he'll be someone other fanbase's problem to ***** about next year.

Reportedly the 49ers were offered a third this year, so I'm hoping with an open market we can get s a second and a conditional pick as I believe that was quoted at the deadline (assuming it was NO). We will see. Definitely think he'll be a starter next year. I mean, he's mostly okay in terms of overall play. I don't think he's substantially much different than a lot of guys around the league (which is kind of the issue). 

Barnwell offered Daniel Jones and a third in his most recent article and I'd be good with that. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely think he'll be a starter next year.

As a short term fill-in stopgap ? Perhaps
Shanahan has bent over backwards in NOT ripping on Jimmy... but everybody knows the score. The 49ers didn't spend (3) 1sts because they thought Jimmy was a serviceable starter. They spent (3) 1sts because they knew he wasn't.

It would be very difficult for any team to bring him in as the new face of the org and starter going forward
He can cover some early season starts as they draft & develop a QB, but I'm not sure he even gets a full season for his new team.  That's why I don't see a 2nd, likely a 3rd as his value.

The Giants, post-Russ Seahawks, maybe Pitt. Peyton in NO might be willing to give him a shot and Sean has the QB whisperer resume to make a move like acquiring Garappolo more acceptable. Jimmy is in the perfect offense with a savant calling the plays- if he can't make it work in SF with Shanahan and that running game - little chance he thrives elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

As a short term fill-in stopgap ? Perhaps
Shanahan has bent over backwards in NOT ripping on Jimmy... but everybody knows the score. The 49ers didn't spend (3) 1sts because they thought Jimmy was a serviceable starter. They spent (3) 1sts because they knew he wasn't.

It would be very difficult for any team to bring him in as the new face of the org and starter going forward
He can cover some early season starts as they draft & develop a QB, but I'm not sure he even gets a full season for his new team.  That's why I don't see a 2nd, likely a 3rd as his value.

The Giants, post-Russ Seahawks, maybe Pitt. Peyton in NO might be willing to give him a shot and Sean has the QB whisperer resume to make a move like acquiring Garappolo more acceptable. Jimmy is in the perfect offense with a savant calling the plays- if he can't make it work in SF with Shanahan and that running game - little chance he thrives elsewhere.

The Saints were high on my list, but I think the Winston injury helped them in that regard. I think that they are likely to run it back on the cheap with Winston / Hill. 

Pitt has always made a ton of sense to me, and I think the Giants *if* Dave stuck around, which I'm not sure happens. I suppose there's always a chance that the Texans make that sort of weird move, though I don't know why. 

He is what he is, just like a lot of those QBs are. I just hate that entire tier of guys. 

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reportedly the 49ers were offered a third this year, so I'm hoping with an open market we can get s a second and a conditional pick as I believe that was quoted at the deadline (assuming it was NO). We will see. Definitely think he'll be a starter next year. I mean, he's mostly okay in terms of overall play. I don't think he's substantially much different than a lot of guys around the league (which is kind of the issue). 

Barnwell offered Daniel Jones and a third in his most recent article and I'd be good with that. 

A SRP seems the high point for Jimmy G.  His numbers are nearly similar to what he put up in 2019, but he's now 30 years old and he's only under contract for one more year.  So a team giving up a significant pick is going to want/need to extend him which makes him a bit more expensive in terms of $$$.  The Jimmy G market won't get settled until after the whole Rodgers/Wilson situations resolve themselves, and probably ends up with a team that missed out on them.

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I think the Trey Lance pick was more an indictment on the ceiling of a Jimmy G-led team.  Since the 49ers acquired him, they've made the playoffs once but are poised to return again this season.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A SRP seems the high point for Jimmy G.  His numbers are nearly similar to what he put up in 2019, but he's now 30 years old and he's only under contract for one more year.  So a team giving up a significant pick is going to want/need to extend him which makes him a bit more expensive in terms of $$$.  The Jimmy G market won't get settled until after the whole Rodgers/Wilson situations resolve themselves, and probably ends up with a team that missed out on them.

I think a two is a realistic cap on the value. A conditional pick would be a cherry if we can get it, but that may require multiple teams to get involve and I've mentioned it before, but there are potentially a lot of options this year. 

It's a fine trade for someone if they give up a second to get him. If you can burn a top 40 pick on Darnold along with both 4th and 6th rounders based on nothing but a hope and dream you can spend a second on a relatively competent starting QB who can hold you over (especially if your team is in a decent spot). The difference between Wentz and Jimmy shouldn't be that much either, so from a value perspective it's fine. I get that people are paying for potential in those instances (Wentz and Darnold), mostly and Jimmy doesn't really have it but at least you have a good idea of what you are getting. 

I imagine the floor should be around a late third if only because he's still a better QB than Flacco was when he was traded for a 4 a couple of years ago