LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

On 10/16/2022 at 2:21 AM, jrry32 said:

On one hand, CMC is a great HB when healthy, only 26 years old, and an incredible weapon in the passing game. That's valuable to us. On the other, I wouldn't want to give up a lot of draft compensation for a HB who has had major injury issues of late. It's a tough call. CMC has Faulk-like upside, but Faulk wasn't injury prone before the trade.

Also, even Faulk would have had hiccups behind the scraps of an OL we can currently field.  And CMC's salary is cheap this season, but the kind of money-moving Les would have to do to account for CMC's due-$14M next season and more in seasons after would almost certainly cost us flexibility we'd need to actually address that OL moving into the future.

Honestly, if I was picking at any of Carolina's scraps - though with the contract he got recently, it would be a difficult get - I'd want Taylor Moton (always thought he had it in him to play LOT, but he certainly can play guard).  They're likely not trading young assets away unless they're either in contract years and/or they have low intention of franchise tagging them.

They're going to want those young assets present and accounted for to help attract the best HC they can in the offseason, lest they end up like a team like the Raiders, Jags, etc. who aspired to luring the top coaching candidate names available, but ended up at the midpoint of the line of desirability.

Edited by Dr LBC

On 10/18/2022 at 1:56 PM, BStanRamFan said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but Brian Burns would cost us a pretty penny. Having a pass rush again would be a dream.

What would need to do give to get CMC and Burns? 1st, 2nd, + Akers?

If we land him, i would say YESSSSS 

i bet we will do nothing. it's always the same with the nfl.
we expect now a massive trade because the rams do it all the time, so nothing happens.

the rams always made the trade like minutes after it became public.
way too much noise about the rams and cmc.

it's intersting that we only have three edges on the 53.

we will cut akers close or right after deadline day and thats it.

22 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

i bet we will do nothing. it's always the same with the nfl.
we expect now a massive trade because the rams do it all the time, so nothing happens.

the rams always made the trade like minutes after it became public.
way too much noise about the rams and cmc.

it's intersting that we only have three edges on the 53.

we will cut akers close or right after deadline day and thats it.

Well the Niners just got CMC and the Rams were right there with them trying to get him. They’ll make a move. That’s for sure 

Was sick to see this when I woke up.

Not really because I thought we had a good shot to land him, but I really didn't want him to go to SF (and my fantasy team is in a must win situation and he's going to probably be limited this week). Please let the Rams go get Kareem Hunt to make me feel better. 

The Kareem Hunt trade has to happen now. Of the RBs available for trade hes the next best imo and then there’s a little drop off. If they can get him and also Bradley Chubb, Burns, or Quinn I’d be happy. 

CMC going to SF ruined my night lol 

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Glad we didn't overpay for CMC. Sucks he'll be in SF.

We are making a move. Below is my shortlist in order of importance and who I feel is realistic.  

Kareem Hunt

Robert Quinn

Isaiah Wynn

David Montgomery

I'll throw another name out: Matt Hennessy. I think he's an OL we could acquire cheap who fits what McVay likes in OLs (good athlete, technically skilled, and smart). But yes, I want Kareem Hunt. Antonio Gibson would be a nice consolation prize if the Browns won't deal Hunt.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I'll throw another name out: Matt Hennessy. I think he's an OL we could acquire cheap who fits what McVay likes in OLs (good athlete, technically skilled, and smart). But yes, I want Kareem Hunt. Antonio Gibson would be a nice consolation prize if the Browns won't deal Hunt.

If Hennessy is available and shanny isn't going after him, I'd be pissed. Brendel is bad

I wouldnt be upset that CMC is with the Niners. We have gotten players in recent years that they wanted. They were in on Talib back in 2018 but he wanted to go to either the Pats or Rams. Had he gone to the Niners I thought I heard that he wouldve straight up retired. He choose the Rams. The Rams got Stafford when the Niners wanted him. So imo we cant win all of the battles.

CMC is a shocking trade to the Niners for me bc they run the Shanahan system which pretty much any back could thrive in. The Niners gave up a ton of capital for a great back but the thing is he cant stay healthy and the Niners play a physical brand of football that makes them injury prone alot too. Its going to be interesting to see if they can win a Superbowl this season and if not then how will things be with Lance coming back and still figure to be their future now with CMC when both guys so far hasnt been durable lately?

I think the Rams should go look at Hunt but we know they are looking so I think a big trade will happen even if its for someone we had no idea was available.

19 hours ago, jrry32 said:

One other guy I'll mention, if the Giants are giving up on him, I'd trade for Kadarius Toney. He's a bit of a headcase and can be injury prone, but with an OC willing to adapt to him, he has Deebo Samuel-like potential.

I see no reason the Giants would be giving up on him.  Kenny Golladay, sure.  But that dude's career is borderline dead at this point.  I think with Daboll he's trying to let Toney stay healthy first, then he'll figure out what he wants to do with him.  In the meantime, they're big on WanDale and I can see why, he has a very Kareem McKenzie-lite vibe to him and is the sort of receiver that had always been productive in Daboll's offenses.  But realistically, I think I see the path Daboll is going with the Giants (not dissimilar from how the Bills went with Allen - granted, one of these things is significantly more athletically-gifted than the other one - in that he's making him prove he can succeed with the bare minimum and then they'll give him the upgraded arsenal, but if not they realize they need their assets to get "the guy" at QB and till then the arsenal is largely moot.

The league is weird this year in that there are so many injuries that I feel like there are very, very few teams out there who have (or even by the deadline) accepted that this just isn't their year and they're willing to be sellers to load the ammo crate for next year... too many 2- and 3-win teams that are likely clinging to the hope of making the playoffs because of mediocre division competition.

In my mind, Washington should be sellers (2 record-strong teams in their division, another talent-rich team with a better record than them about to get an injury-boost bump too), but they've got their own drama going on right now that's likely going to keep them distracted from football affairs.  Chicago should be, but their assets are the most bountiful for us: Montgomery is a free agent after this season in a free agent class that's going to include Josh Jacobs among others.  If Cody Whitehair weren't on IR currently, I could see that being a possibility, but sadly he is and the dude just signed an extension this past offseason (so cap maths are rough on that one, particular the dead money the Bears would have to eat).  Who knows how long Denver keeps trying to fool themselves that Hackett is going to be able to turn it around (which probably depends on whether they can duct tape Russ in a closet and tell him he's not coming out until his shoulder is healthy), but I'd heard some scuttlebutt (I thought on here, might have been on Twitter) that with Bradley Chubb currently on his 5YO they might consider letting him walk for the comp pick rather than give him a market-setting contract, but again while that might mean they'd be willing to accept compensation that speeds up the pick they'd receive in compensatory by a year's time as fair, that also means Les would have to do some straight up cap-Gandalf magic to get the kind of contract Chubb would demand in the offseason - or even to fit him in under the cap on the franchise tender.

I genuinely doubt Cleveland's going to be willing to sell any of their offensive pieces until they've seen how their offense functions with Deshaun under center and who is and isn't compatible with him; and Kareem Hunt would be a free agent after this season anyway, so what we'd be willing to offer and what they'd be willing to consider to buck seeing a seamless transition to Deshaun are probably very far between.

• Like 1