Former NFL RB Clinton Portis gets 6 months in prison for fraud scheme

RaidersAreOne

"Portis was part of a ring of former NFL players who filed false reimbursement claims totaling about $2.9 million. In 2006, the NFL established the Gene Upshaw NFL Player Health Reimbursement Account Plan, designed to help retired players pay for medical expenses. The account provides up to $350,000 in benefits per player.

Fifteen former players have pleaded guilty to charges.

Tamarick Vanover, Former linebacker Robert McCune, considered by the Department of Justice to be the orchestrator of the ring, pleaded guilty to 13 counts of health care fraud, 11 counts of wire fraud and three counts of aggravated identity theft. He faces a lengthy jail sentence.

The other former players who have pleaded guilty are: Joe Horn, Carlos Rogers, Correll Buckhalter, James Butler, Ceandris Brown, John Eubanks, Antwan Odom, Etric Pruitt, Darrell Reid, Anthony Montgomery, Frederick Bennett and Reche Caldwell

Just now, Shanedorf said:

The other former players who have pleaded guilty are: Joe Horn, Carlos Rogers, Correll Buckhalter, James Butler, Ceandris Brown, John Eubanks, Antwan Odom, Etric Pruitt, Darrell Reid, Anthony Montgomery, Frederick Bennett and Reche Caldwell

RcZp2nr.jpg

• Like 9

I'm a Canes fan but he should have received the high end of the recommendation. I despise the fraud guys because it involves so much group scheming. If we heard the tapes of them plotting it would have been considerably longer and more involved than any estimate, plus discussion of larger amounts and additional schemes. That's the way these things always work. They never aspire solely to what they end up with.

13 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

other former players who have pleaded guilty are: Joe Horn, Carlos Rogers, Correll Buckhalter, James Butler, Ceandris Brown, John Eubanks, Antwan Odom, Etric Pruitt, Darrell Reid, Anthony Montgomery, Frederick Bennett and Reche Caldwell

I remember hearing about this - and I'm not shocked to hear that Vanover is involved, he's got a rap sheet that goes back to 1999; Drug trafficking and Grand theft auto back in the '00s, pretty much ended the careers of Vanover and Bam Morris.

For those who don't remember him - Vanover was one of the most gifted KR/PR guys I'd ever seen, he was on a Devin Hester/Josh Cribbs level. He had 8 KR/PR TDs in a 6 year career, dude just knew how to find a lane. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I'm a Canes fan but he should have received the high end of the recommendation. I despise the fraud guys because it involves so much group scheming. If we heard the tapes of them plotting it would have been considerably longer and more involved than any estimate, plus discussion of larger amounts and additional schemes. That's the way these things always work. They never aspire solely to what they end up with.

I don’t feel sorry for Portia either, because there are many stories of him spending his money foolishly, including from a buddy of mine who used to run the restaurant at an area golf course.  On at least five occasions, Portis would buy the afternoon tee times (all of them) so his buddies could have the run of the course.  He, meanwhile, did not golf.  He also “rented” the restaurant, and my friend kept alcohol on hand that was just for Portis.  He tipped extremely well, once $2,000 split between the chef, bartender and my friend.  And this was after his playing career was over……..oh, and he also had an assistant who came in the week before and scheduled all of this.