Bears fire HC Matt Nagy, GM Ryan Pace

CBears019

Can't wait to see the next staff these clowns decide to hire. It's gonna be interesting to look back in a few years and compare Pace to the next GM and watch fans ***** and moan.

Fields should get out ASAP.....he's already on his 2nd HC and OC, learning an entire different system in as many years. Not a good start for his development.

32 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Can't wait to see the next staff these clowns decide to hire. It's gonna be interesting to look back in a few years and compare Pace to the next GM and watch fans ***** and moan.

Fields should get out ASAP.....he's already on his 2nd HC and OC, learning an entire different system in as many years. Not a good start for his development.

Idk. Few will talk of Pace's tenure like he was really good even if the new GM sucks IMO just they wont ever with Emery. 

Starting with Nagy was already a red flag for poor Fields and his development. Lol

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It was a battle and a day I never thought we would see. But the Bears stepped up and did the obvious thing.

Congrats to all of us.

We still have George making the decisions with old man Bill Polian. I'm very skeptical they get it right unless it's blind luck. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, malak1 said:

This is great. Any word on Ted Phillips? 

Word on the street he's strictly in charge of financing and money matters and the new GM will be soley in charge of football decisions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windycitygridiron.com/platform/amp/2022/1/10/22875348/ted-phillips-chicago-bears-team-president-and-ceo-george-mccaskey-nfl-offseason-2022-bill-polian#scso=_hp_cYe-1MqSiptQPmOKIwA0173:0

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Word on the street he's strictly in charge of financing and money matters and the new GM will be soley in charge of football decisions.

Per George McCaskey himself, the new GM will report directly to him. Not Ted Phillips. And once the new GM is hired, he will have full control over all football ops.

I'll believe it when I see it. Mike McC and Teddy said the same thing about JA too when they hired him and that couldn't have been further from the truth.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That is the hope.  

Were Polian have been put in as Pres of Football Ops would you have been ok with it? I would have, even though not my first choice.

My read on the dynamic he described today is essentially as far as hiring the GM and HC goes, George is going to say it’s his call but essentially it’s going to be Polian telling him who to hire. I wouldn’t want to trust Polian as a GM at this point but I think there’s a very reasonable chance he can identify the guys who can should be able to do the job. From there, George says it’s that guy’s show. If they get the right guy AND they’re giving him autonomy then I don’t care to whom he reports. I also think that autonomy will make our job incredibly desirable.

That said, I don’t like the idea that they aren’t tied to bringing in a GM before hiring a coach. Unless that coach is an established guy like Harbaugh or McD, and they’re essentially saying, “You tell us who you want running personnel for you and we’ll go get that guy,” I want the GM picking the guy who runs the team. I don’t want to impose a coach on a GM in any way unless that coach has the the cred to be able to choose his GM, ala Gruden with Mayock. And maybe George was alluding to that by saying what he did - can’t know that until it plays out. 

As always, the Bears are gonna Bears it up somehow… 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Were Polian have been put in as Pres of Football Ops would you have been ok with it? I would have, even though not my first choice.

My read on the dynamic he described today is essentially as far as hiring the GM and HC goes, George is going to say it’s his call but essentially it’s going to be Polian telling him who to hire. I wouldn’t want to trust Polian as a GM at this point but I think there’s a very reasonable chance he can identify the guys who can should be able to do the job. From there, George says it’s that guy’s show. If they get the right guy AND they’re giving him autonomy then I don’t care to whom he reports. I also think that autonomy will make our job incredibly desirable.

That said, I don’t like the idea that they aren’t tied to bringing in a GM before hiring a coach. Unless that coach is an established guy like Harbaugh or McD, and they’re essentially saying, “You tell us who you want running personnel for you and we’ll go get that guy,” I want the GM picking the guy who runs the team. I don’t want to impose a coach on a GM in any way unless that coach has the the cred to be able to choose his GM, ala Gruden with Mayock. And maybe George was alluding to that by saying what he did - can’t know that until it plays out. 

As always, the Bears are gonna Bears it up somehow… 🤦‍♂️

I think you shouldn't hire a GM before coach because a top coach is going to demand a say in his GM.  If you do GM first you are probably taking a few guys off coaching list.

It doesn't really matter.   Odds are 90% we will be back here in 5 years.

There is no good way.  Polian choosing is as good as anyone I guess.   We will just have to see how new guys work out and hope for best.

These guys though.  All Polian is going to do is call his contacts and ask them who they recommend.   Then he will recommend one of those guys.  

George could do same thing really.   He has same contacts.   He just doesn't want blame.  

There is no vision.   It's just hire a HC.  Then he tries to hire 2 "hot" coordinators.   Then we hope they all gel.   When we brought in Mark Helfrich he had to learn the offense.   What a joke.    Our OC is learning the offense.   Heck sometimes its the HC learning the OC's offense or defense.   

Then we hope GM does good in draft.

If a coordinator does real good he is out the door.   If he doesn't, it means we suck.

Why don't they look at Patriots or Steelers and not just hire one of their guys and plug him into old systems of most of NFL - actually run the orgs. like they do.  Create a program so you can lose a coach or two here and there and it doesn't matter.   It keeps rolling.

Create a base system to use and train young coaches from within.    Do same with drafting and FAs.  Find the guys that fit.   Find criteria the coach is looking for, for his system.   Then find the guy with good talent evaluation to pick them because most coaches stink at it.    But make sure the coach trusts him.    

You won't always win, no one does.   But get off the carousel.  

• Like 1