AFC Divisional GDT: (2) Chiefs vs (3) Bills

NYRaider

Who ya got?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Chiefs Kingdom
    • Bills Mafia

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I believe that is only if you do it multiple times. Someone can correct me, but i believe that the Bills could have held the hell out of all of the receivers on first down and it would have run clock and been a 5 yarder. 

Once would have been plenty. They've got 2 plays before the field goal and you eliminate one of them. I guarantee Vrabel and other sharp coaches would have understood the strategy and not been embarrassed to employ it. 

Maybe it's more obvious to me as a lifelong Dolphins fan. During the early '70s our cornerbacks Tim Foley and Curtis Johnson used to chop wide receivers immediately at the line of scrimmage. I'd be laughing like heck as the opposing quarterback dropped back with his intended targets sprawled on the Poly Turf. The league finally outlawed that in 1974, the so-called Isaac Curtis Rule after Miami eliminated him all game long in the 1973 playoffs.

Defensive backs these days never take enough advantage of the ability to lift the receiver's legs and make sure he can't land in bounds. That wasn't applicable during the force out days.

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

This cant be their main defense right? Chiefs clearly took advantage of this pretty much all night

Given how much Mahomes had issues with the two high look this season, I don’t hold it against the Bills for necessarily using it so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Given how much Mahomes had issues with the two high look this season, I don’t hold it against the Bills for necessarily using it so much.

the offense and Mahomes clearly showed this season that they know how to attack two high shell, they adapted, Mahomes adapted(no deep passes, first time in his career)

It didnt even seem like they tried to disguise it like Fangio does, just vanilla two safeties back, keep everything in front of you.

They were afraid of getting beaten deep, and Tyreek still took it to the house regardless.

Edited by Chiefer

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Question, would Buffalo have been better off straight up tackling the Chiefs WRs with 13 seconds left?

You’d chew up about 4-5 seconds and only lose 5 yards.

I think they changed some rule after Baltimore did something like that a few years ago to make it not work, but I may not be remembering correctly

EDIT: Should have read the thread before responding

You have to ignore the McCorkle wind game but even without that the Bills gave up about 173 yards passing per game this year. New England only put up 217 in a game they were trailing 27-3 at halftime in the wildcard.

Mahomes had 188 yards passing after the 2 minute warning of the 4th quarter.

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

You have to ignore the McCorkle wind game but even without that the Bills gave up about 173 yards passing per game this year. New England only put up 217 in a game they were trailing 27-3 at halftime in the wildcard.

Mahomes had 188 yards passing after the 2 minute warning of the 4th quarter.

For context here though, Mahomes (first game) threw for 272 against them, during a time when the New York Giants came in to Arrow Head and put a scare into the Chiefs. Brady over 360.

Outside of those two, I would guess it's one of the weaker QB schedules in the league. Tannehill, Berger, Wentz, Ryan are the next best, and then whatever people think of Mac Jones.

Jets twice. Dolphins twice. Jags. Saints. Panthers. Texans. Washington.

The Bucs had a similar thing. Defense looked good but when I checked....some pretty bad QBs on there.

27 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

After looking at that, I think I finally gotta say he’s the best TE. Very knowledgable. Always had Kittle above him, but after all of Kittle’s injuries, and after watching that video, think I gotta crown Kelce. 

They do this like 3/4 times a game.    Half the time I'm not sure Kelce is even running a route.     Pretty cool they got it on audio

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiefer said:

i think they really thought the game was over

13 seconds is apparently too much time for the Grim Reaper😎

It's pretty dumb to be playing defense to take away the sidelines when the offensive team doesn't need to use the sidelines.  There are going to be two plays there with two timeouts used, no matter what.  It's not like they're in a two-minute drill where they need the sidelines and the timeouts.

Whoever made the defensive calls for Buffalo in that situation needs to have his head examined.  I'd venture to say that person isn't all that intelligent.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:58 PM, The Guy said:

It's pretty dumb to be playing defense to take away the sidelines when the offensive team doesn't need to use the sidelines.  There are going to be two plays there with two timeouts used, no matter what.  It's not like they're in a two-minute drill where they need the sidelines and the timeouts.

Whoever made the defensive calls for Buffalo in that situation needs to have his head examined.  I'd venture to say that person isn't all that intelligent.

After taking a few days to let the heartbreak subside, I’ve come to one conclusion.  While caught up in the whirlwind of so many quick scores and taking the lead with 13 seconds left……. Whoever called that prevent defense thought the Bills were up 4 not 3.  It’s the only thing that makes sense to me with how they gave up those two passes the way they did. They were playing as if a FG wasn’t an option. Coach doesn’t really want to be specific about what happened there and some feel he’s sparing somebody feeling the heat. Total coaching failure to me. They had the win. They had a look at the offense setting up and had a timeout to talk things over. This was IMO the biggest meltdown a team has ever had. They literally gave the game away. I don’t even want to entertain the overtime rules because it should never have gotten there to begin with. I love my team and I’ll ride with them forever but this one hurt on another level. 

*ok there has been much worse meltdowns but that defense with 13 seconds left was epically horrendous 

Edited by BillSabre