2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

He did not do that like Pat Mahomes with crazy numbers but he also did not QB sneak with 14 seconds left and fall apart. He played Stafford about even in 3 games last year and was a Tartt drop from outplaying him and having a great shot at the SB again. He did that with a bad thumb (week 16) and shoulder (WC game).

Man, you're watching different games than most of us.   JimmyG's bad throws and TO-worthy plays are what kept DAL in the game, missed opps kept GB in it, and lost the LAR / SB games.   He's really good at rhythm throws over the middle.   Boundary/deep balls, or playing even a little off script?   He's incredibly vulnerable there, and it leads to negative/TO-worthy plays, that get exposed vs. good D's.    And it's a recurring theme.   

Shanny's scheme and the insane YAC that Kittle/Deebo put up make JimmyG's numbers all shiny - but he's a pure bus driver, and frankly, a limited one.   There's a reason pretty much most 49er fans are behind the parting of ways, and why it was happening almost immediately pre-injury.   

Whether you believe Dak is a good enough QB to win games on his own, or carry teams when needed (which is very much a debate, and a fair Q to ask for sure) - JimmyG isn't even close to that guy.    The 49ers are winning in spite of his actual QB play.    The same argument was used with Goff in his LAR time...and man, that got exposed in a hurry.   

There's no doubt he's likely better than 8-10 QB's in the league hands down - but OC's are having to scheme for his limitations, and having to thread the perfect-team needle to get him there.  It almost worked in 2019, but it was his limitations that cost them vs. KC, much like his limitations were still the story in 2021.    Still, if he were healthy, no doubt he would have likely been targeted by IND, or another team (?WAS? - that would be an interesting convo to have if JimmyG had been healthy).   But painting him in that top 10 range, or even top 12, is a reach.   When he ends up on a team that's overall less talented than SF's current squad is, I suspect we'll see it play out similarly.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Browns should trade Baker for Robby Anderson and possibly a pick. Ruhle can draft offensive line at 6, have a bridge QB, and dump Robbys contract + attitude.

Yeah, if Baker goes there, Robby has to go. Robby has already spoiled that relationship. I think Robby and a 3rd Round Pick would he a fair trade for Baker. 

Although Robby isn’t as good as he use to be, certainly not a #2 option anymore. But he would be a fine #3 option. 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah, if Baker goes there, Robby has to go. Robby has already spoiled that relationship. I think Robby and a 3rd Round Pick would he a fair trade for Baker. 

Although Robby isn’t as good as he use to be, certainly not a #2 option anymore. But he would be a fine #3 option. 

He also talked crap about Darnold, so he is burning all the bridges.

7 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Something something 98.9 passer rating which is higher than Drew Brees.

Jimmy G would be lining up to get 20 a year if he was a WR with equivalent metrics and that 2019.

it’s strange that people hate him so much. He’s better than Dak at NFL QB unless it’s the very specific role of destroying really bad teams.

This is a rough read.

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Man, you're watching different games than most of us.   JimmyG's bad throws and TO-worthy plays are what kept DAL in the game, missed opps kept GB in it, and lost the LAR / SB games.   He's really good at rhythm throws over the middle.   Boundary/deep balls, or playing even a little off script?   He's incredibly vulnerable there, and it leads to negative/TO-worthy plays, that get exposed vs. good D's.    And it's a recurring theme.   

Shanny's scheme and the insane YAC that Kittle/Deebo put up make JimmyG's numbers all shiny - but he's a pure bus driver, and frankly, a limited one.   There's a reason pretty much most 49er fans are behind the parting of ways, and why it was happening almost immediately pre-injury.   

Whether you believe Dak is a good enough QB to win games on his own, or carry teams when needed (which is very much a debate, and a fair Q to ask for sure) - JimmyG isn't even close to that guy.    The 49ers are winning in spite of his actual QB play.    The same argument was used with Goff in his LAR time...and man, that got exposed in a hurry.   

There's no doubt he's likely better than 8-10 QB's in the league hands down - but OC's are having to scheme for his limitations, and having to thread the perfect-team needle to get him there.  It almost worked in 2019, but it was his limitations that cost them vs. KC, much like his limitations were still the story in 2021.    Still, if he were healthy, no doubt he would have likely been targeted by IND, or another team (?WAS? - that would be an interesting convo to have if JimmyG had been healthy).   But painting him in that top 10 range, or even top 12, is a reach.   When he ends up on a team that's overall less talented than SF's current squad is, I suspect we'll see it play out similarly.  

This is a great description of JG.  Anyone who has watched even the most modest number of SF games over the last few years can clearly see that Shanny's scheme and talent made him look better than he actually is.

He's the proverbial game manager. Surround him with enough talent and he can do enough to not lose games, and may even surprise you here and there, but he's never going to be a good enough QB you can rely to elevate the rest of the team.

19 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

No charges from Dallas PD and he has shown up for work outs. I dunno what the league will do to him, but it looks like he thinks he is going to play in the fall. 

My guess is a stern talking to about who he associates with, and when he eventually becomes a FA it's going to linger as a question. He's not the first to have dangerous associates and there is probably an expectation to fully cooperate with law enforcement. If the team feels he's in danger to be retaliated against if he cooperates they may trade him outside of the TX/LA area I would think. If he isn't a shooter I don't think the NFL will punish making the story bigger. Aqib Talib I think was involved in a drive by when he was with Tampa on his mom's neighbors house with no injuries and although his play said pay the man he went to NE. I could see a similar path moving somewhere else, as long as his play dictates a second contract down the line.

• Like 1

Meanwhile Kupp is doing something different...

Kupp, 28, said he's excited to see the contracts signed by other wide receivers this offseason because the market at the receiver position had been "stale." But, when asked if he wants to top those deals, Kupp said that's not important to him.

"I don't think that's really kind of the approach that I take," he said. "I definitely think there's a place you want to be. There's a place that you feel like is fair. A place for me and for this organization. ... I'm not trying to beat anybody. I'm not trying to compare myself to anyone else. It's more about being in a place that's just right for both sides."

Sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday that San Francisco 49ers star Deebo Samuel, Tennessee Titans wideout A.J. Brown and Washington Commanders receiver Terry McLaurin are seeking new contracts and are not expected to participate in any on-field work during their respective teams' voluntary offseason programs.

Kupp, however, is attending the Rams' program and explained why it's important to him.

"Well, I think it's important to be here, be around the guys and be around this team," he said. "The goal at the end of the day is to win a world title. Whatever is going to get us in a place where we can compete for another world title, put us in a better position where we can be a better football team, that's the goal. I think the best thing I can do is to be a part of that ..."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Meanwhile Kupp is doing something different...

It’s cool that Kupp wants to take that approach, but elite players getting their worth shouldn’t ever be frowned upon. One nasty injury or they begin slowing down a bit and that organization is kicking them to a curb the first chance they get.

• Like 2